Archinect
anchor

Polycarbonate Faceted Construction

Rbdc

Hello i wonder if anyone can help me with this. I've been looking for a type of translucent plastic for a double layer construction, where it can be applied inside and out as both an insulation layer and waterproofing. Ideally i don't want to use glass. The building would be quite angular, and as such the panels would be quite contorted. I've been scouring for examples of something similar but haven't been able to find anything. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Apr 17, 07 1:18 pm
weAREtheSTONES
VT SD 2005 house

used polycarb panels - basically they have a 2x4 stud wall spaced @ about 2' OC - then a piece of 5/8 polycarb on both sides of the 2x4 fastened on w/ a self-tapping screw w/ a rubber washer - inside the wall is air and a mechanicall shade and LED lights that are controlled by a panel on the inside of the wall. I have also use a few polycarb panels just not as clever as this...i think another team use this same type of system just w/out the LED lights and shades.

Apr 17, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
tenn

Rbdc, you are looking for a system where polycarbonate is used both internally as well as externally on a wall? Check out CPI, they had a double-skin wall system where poly is featured on both sides, similar to Pilkington's channel glass system. Here is the link to their site, but it may require some searching to find it buried in the site:
http://www.cpidaylighting.com/

Apr 17, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
dierxap

I would be worried about UV (yellowing) and the typical 10 year warranty on Polycarb panels...limited lifetime. Unless this is for a temporary exhibit/pavilion.

Apr 17, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Rbdc

Thanks Stones thats really interesting, i've been looking for something similar to that. Although my building (i'm a student, so not too worried about the lifespan :) is steel and I'm finding the detailing very difficult as the structure is supported in the aair and the ploycarb will wrap around the structure. TAnd I've struggled to find any examples of polycarbonate used in a non ortho way. I couldn't find it Tenn, but i'll have a better look now, i think i saw something similar to what you described. Thanks for the help.

Apr 17, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

make sure that you

a) either seal the cells in the pannels completely

or

b) dont seal them at all

water and moisture can easily find its way into the cells of these pannels. If it doesnt have a chance to escape, you end up with a lot of condensation inside you pannels, which looks like shit

Apr 17, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

I don't have any experience using translucent plastic panelling as a material, but apart from polycarbonate there's also these nice ETFE "pillows", check out "How the Eden Project works". Then, there's also "The Naked House" by Shigeru Ban which uses something described as double fibre-reinforced synthetic panels with polyethylene strings (packaging material in fact) as insulation:

Apr 17, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

ive never seen it applied to a non orthagonal way before either - but these panels are only 5/8 thick and made from plastic so they are really flexible and ...in one direction...w/ the grain.
-i used a company called supersky they will send you a sample so that you can play w/ all the little gel-balls inside the panel...you can also test the flexibility of the panel

Apr 17, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
AP

the CPI product, Pentaglas (mentioned above), is pretty cool. it comes in 12mm or 16mm thick panels, and can be used many different ways...
mdler makes a good point regarding water...

pentaglas walls, school in LA by Marmol Radziner

Apr 17, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

since its plastic im sure u can have it manufactured any shape or form u choose

Apr 17, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
tenn

Rbdc, if you are in school and not concerned with the detailing aspect of a polycarbonate "system", then take a look at Casa-S by SANAA. It is a very nice little house with a sandwich system of corrugated poly or fiberglass on both exterior and interior. It does not appear to be a system one can purchase "off-the-shelf". In many cases, the custom approach as seen in Casa-S results in a nicer end result, appearing more handcrafted and not so commercialized. If i could locate an image, i would share it, but no luck on the web.

Apr 17, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

This stuff is quite cool but I think the panel sizes are potentially limited.

http://www.stoakes.co.uk/pages/kalwall/

Apr 18, 07 5:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: