Archinect
anchor

Studying architecture

xiaoi1

I am a undergraduate student and going to do architecture this year. I am from asia and i have been studying at UK for years. I can handle some simple conversation but i knew that there are going to be many crits and presentation going on. So im worrying about my poor english that i can't present and explain it well. So what do you guys think, is it a big problem for a person like me who can't speak good english???? will the professors/tutors get annoyed with me???? 

Aug 29, 12 1:04 pm

I've generally found that the less talking students do at crits/presentations then all the better.  It might actually be to your advantage.  Too many nervous students can't seem to keep quiet and end up muddling their presentations when the work itself, really should be doing much of the talking.

Less is more, yo!

Aug 29, 12 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

No good prof. will hold that against you.  Make bullet points on the boards so that you can have the words in front of you and so that the reviewers can see it.  Keep it short and sweet.  Ask someone to proff read it for you to check grammer.  Good Luck!

Aug 29, 12 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
ncecchi

Maybe it would be beneficial to treat every review as if you are not allowed to speak so that you have very clear and descriptive diagrams, drawings, and models for each project so that if you do speak, it will just be supplemental. 

Depending on what kind of school you are at, you may have drawing and project reviews where you can't speak at all. I do not think it is much of a disadvantage.

Aug 29, 12 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Since one of the purposes of crits and presentations is to receive feedback on your design work, isn't it equally important to understand spoken English to a reasonable degree?

We attend college to learn -- not just by reading and not just by doing. We also learn from 2-way interactions with others - both teachers and fellow students alike.

To attend college where one has great difficulty expressing one's thoughts and great difficulty understanding the thoughts expressed by others is, to my way of thinking, not going to be a very enjoyable, much less enlightening, experience.

Aug 29, 12 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Yes.  Why isn't learning the language at least as important as learning design?  Of course it'll be harder at the beginning, but it'll get better over time and with effort... just like learning design.

Aug 29, 12 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: