Archinect
anchor

Cheapest Supplies in LA?

melonmachete

I have to buy a few supplies for studio and was wondering where would be the cheapest places to buy materials. The USC Bookstore is really expensive. I was told that SCI-Arc is cheap, but I don't know how to check that. And I know Blick is usually pretty good, but how does it compare to places like Raw Materials or Architect's Corner?

Aug 28, 12 4:07 am
citizen

Graphaids in Culver City on La Cienega just south of the 10 freeway, or in West LA on Santa Monica Blvd near Centinela.

Aug 28, 12 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

Roark's (on Adams?)

Graphaids is pretty reasonable too...

sci arc supply store is aight...

Aug 28, 12 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

Roark no longer has a physical location I believe, they're just Roark on Wheels now (like a food truck, but with spraymount and basswood instead of overpriced sandwiches). Not sure how to get a hold of Rob anymore though to figure out where he's going to be.

Aug 28, 12 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
melonmachete

Roark is expensive compared to Blick. So far Blick seems to be the cheapest. I've seen Graphaids ads recently and they're having a pretty cheap sale for a bunch of things, can I expect those same prices for smaller things I'll need like cutting mats, 2ply museum board, and pencils?

Aug 28, 12 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

Unfortunate to hear Roark is no longer around. I would recommend Graph Aids or Pearl Paint on La Cienega . I believe both give student discounts.  There is also  Utrecht in Santa Monica. I am surprised USC Arch didn't give you this pdf?

http://arch.usc.edu/content/pages/cm/uploadedmedia/survival_guide_09101253122553360.pdf

Aug 28, 12 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

actually on second thought, are you a first year student melon? If so, I think supplies can still be ordered from aforementioned Roark truck: http://www.roarkla.com/usc-1st-year-architecture-student-bundle.html

Aug 28, 12 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I know this Mexican dude down on Melrose...

Aug 28, 12 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
melonmachete

I am a first year student and I know I can order a few things from Roark, but they'd be a lot more expensive than if I just went to Blick or Raw Materials. We did not get that pdf from USC arch, we did however get a list of art stores in LA. I think I'll be heading to Blick tomorrow to pick up my last few supplies.

Aug 29, 12 1:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: