Archinect
anchor

Working while in Architecture School..Is it a NO NO?

Enigmatic Mind

So I'm sure some of you have seen my recent posts, the stupid one's (I use this site, cause a lot of you are finished with school and have serious knowledge about Architecture.) My question is this:

Are you allowed to work part-time while in architecture School??? I've heard that your first two years you can't but that you get into some sort of internship in your third year.....do they frown on after school part time jobs???

Debating whether an architecture degree is in my future, cause if I can't work part time, I have to give up my passion....

Apr 16, 07 10:18 am
Enigmatic Mind

I promise I won't ask any more stupid questions...

Apr 16, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis
No more stupid questions.
Apr 16, 07 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

ha ha....sorry I promise.

Apr 16, 07 10:23 am  · 
 · 

i worked for a professor's office for the last three years that i was in arch school undergrad. the danger of doing this is that it may be the best job in architecture that you ever have.

Apr 16, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

Hey Chili Davis, do you mind If I ask ur age? I am 21 and fixin to transfer from a junior college....just wanted to see the time frame you had

Apr 16, 07 10:37 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I'm 26 now. I was 22 when I transfered from community college.

Apr 16, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Its not impossible, but it almost is...
It also depend on the class schedules being offered at the school you are interested...But you have to have really good time management plan into play..or else you wont make it.

If you are thinking about partying and stuff like that ...You wont be able to make it...

You will have to commit yourself to Your new world of Architecture School.....

You will probably be able to work 20 hours a week at your job and 60+ at school...

Apr 16, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

I remember when I wanted to go to Cambridge really badly, and it said you were not aloud to work on the site. So I've lost hope on going there.

It would have been perfect to, because I want to move to either America or England, well maybe America. But I can't afford to go to a school like that and not work.

Actually I like this question I want to see what some people have to say.

I think I could manage a tiny bit of partying, 20 hours of work and 60+ hours of school

Right now I usually do 7 hrs of school, 1 hour rugby, then 7 hours of work. Then an hour or 2 of hw.

University and work can't take up more time then that in a day right?

Maybe 4 hrs 5 times a week insteAd of the 7hrs 3 times week I do.

But for highschool I don't need lots of time for hw.

ugh. I think I'm taking a year off b4 uni. I need a brake.

Apr 16, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

60+ (meaning 60 at the rare minimum).......

But its true it takes a whole lot more time then that....

You will get use to sleeping 4 to 6 hrs a week, and when presentations and projects are due you can actually see your self going with out sleeping for a few days...

But like I SAID 60+ on a good week

Apr 16, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

work while you go to school ... i will be one of the best things that you can do for your career...you wont be totally at the bottom of the todum pole when you graduate...it could be the difference of making 35,000 a year as compared to 50,000-55,000 a year starting out after graduation. - even if its only 10-20 hours a week...anything that will get you the edge over the other guy

Apr 16, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

or gal

Apr 16, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

keep in mind, stones is in nyc - and those are nyc $$$

And remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people asking questions.

Apr 16, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

actually im in SF

Apr 16, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

moved about 8 mths ago

Apr 16, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

whatthefuk - you can't work at school in the US because you aren't American... American students at American schools are allowed to work. But as I understand, you can't hold 2 visas at the same time, so therefore you would not be able to LEGALLY work. But if you found a job at a pub or washing dishes or whatever, you could work to help pay the bills, as long as the tax man doesn't find out.

And yeah, I know it's illegal. Bite me.

Apr 17, 07 3:03 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

Umm, yah because I wasn't born at St. Lukes hospital in New Bedford Masschuettes (sp?)

Apr 17, 07 3:05 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

oh, and cambridge is in England.

Apr 17, 07 3:05 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

You really confuse me.

Either way, when you are an 'international student,' you aren't allowed to work.

If you're from Massachusetts, how come you can't spell it?

I think that's what was throwing me off from your other posts (the sketchy spelling and grammar).

Apr 17, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

I have horrible spelling, shoot me?

and I lived there for 6 months, you can't expect me to really care I was born there, its just where my happened to be when i decided to pop out early.

but it does work to my advantage seeing as i might want to move there one day.

Apr 17, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: