Archinect
anchor

Tbilisi !

Spending a few days in Tbilisi, Georgia, any recommendations to see, eat, do ? !

I've never been before, and I don't speak a lick of Georgian .. 

Aug 27, 12 9:53 pm
Sergo Antadze

Go see old town. You can just walk around and see a lot.
Check old Bath Houses, there are a lot of churches, check one of the oldest ones in town "Anchiskhati" (VI century). From old town if you get on cableway to "Narikala"- (old Fort) you can enjoy the view of the town.
Also, if you want to take a small trip outside of Tbilisi, go to Mtsketa which is just half hour drive and see "Djvari"- Old VI century monastery on the top of the Hill and see "Sveti Tskoveli"- XI century Cathedral.

As of food, entire town is full of small cafes and restaurants. Try "Khachapuri" (Georgian “Pizza”), try "Khinkali" (dumplings) and drink Georgian wine.

If you want to see Soviet era Architecture, most interesting building is "Ministry of Transportation" it is little away from downtown, but take a cab it will cost you about $5 to get there from center.

Aug 28, 12 1:30 am  · 
 · 
pandpieri

-I second Tiko´s advices. when at the bath houses, it is worth to take a bath after a day of walking around town.

-The wedding palace might be worth a visit.

-food is great (especially if you like walnuts, meat, cheese and wine), well worth to spend some time at a good restaurant, I ran into a party held by the Tbilisi water authoroty at one restaurant and had a great time........

-Signs and stuff (eg busses, metro stations, street names) are mostly in georgian so get a georgian map to use together with the one with your language of chioce.

-nice old houses in the city centre inside the wall. interesting add-ons to soviet style blocks everywhere.

-the city museum is a bit empty but has some nice renovations done and a nice collection of gold in the basement. they also have great free maps of the city and region.

- there is a building , the institute of marxism and leninism that was about to be demolidshed, but i guess its state is a buit unclear now, it looked kind of interesting. (http://www.theartsdesk.com/visual-arts/theartsdesk-tbilisi-dilemma-over-georgian-architecture)

have a good trip!

Aug 28, 12 11:38 am  · 
 · 
c

thank you both  for the advie ! sounds excellent

Aug 29, 12 12:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: