Archinect
anchor

Who is going to RISD or UPenn?

designbydesign

I have decided to go to RISD. I sent the check. It's over now. I hope. I was going to send the check to UPenn. But then... My pen was out of ink.

I was wondering: (M.Arch 3 year)

Who is going to RISD. and Who is going to UPenn.

or

Who is not going to UPenn and going somewhere else.

Apr 15, 07 4:45 pm
Liebchen

Congrats on you choice! I let me know if you've got any questions.

Apr 15, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
designbydesign

Liebchen: you are at RISD right?

Apr 15, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
outside

I am going to RISD, but for an MLA. designbydesign, where are you comming from, I am going to be moving up there from NC in july, and I think we will be in the same studio in the fall, from what I understand all first year arch and land arch students are in the same design foundations studio thier first fall

Apr 15, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
designbydesign

i'm from the west coast. I will see you at RISD.

Apr 15, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Yeah, design, I'm a first year M.arch at RISD. Like anyone else who what's to hear my cheerleader's schpiel about the school, send me an email.

Apr 16, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
long_div

im going to risd too!

Apr 18, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 
long_div

where have people at risd ended up working after school/during hte summer vs. people from upenn? is there a big difference do u think?

Apr 19, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Your ma' is going to RISD.

Apr 19, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
bronson, architect/assassin

I think Nader Tehrani, of office dA, went to RISD; might have been undergrad. Providence is an odd little city. If Boston is a mini-New York, then Providence is a mini-Boston. I don't know any firm specifics, but I have heard that the greater-Boston locale has the highest per capita population of architects.
Wow. A whole paragraph and I didn't really say anything pertinent. Enjoy the town.

Apr 19, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
outside

I dont know about Architecture, but studnets in the LA department have gotten internships at many of the nations top firms from what I gather, ie MVW, SWA, Sasaki Associates, Martha Swarts INC

Apr 19, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

Accepted to both but not going to either.

Apr 20, 07 12:25 am  · 
 · 
designbydesign

where are you going then?

Apr 20, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 
designbydesign

3 year program?

Apr 20, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 
designbydesign

why is that crazy?

miss_j... are u doing the 3 year and where are u going?

Apr 20, 07 12:55 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

dbd- I don't know yet! Deciding between Pratt, Sci-Arc and deferring for a year/re-applying. And yes I'm M.Arch 1.

Apr 20, 07 1:58 am  · 
 · 
designbydesign

pratt and sci-arc are great schools. good luck.

Apr 20, 07 2:35 am  · 
 · 
long_div

me too...pratt or risd? pratt or risd...risd seems to want me, pratt doesnt seem to give a crap...

Apr 20, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 
outside

i heard the girls are hotter at risd

Apr 20, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

I would take risd over pratt in a second. Maybe because I'm a New Yorker and Pratt doesn't have much left to the immagination for me?

Apr 20, 07 11:43 am  · 
 · 
long_div

Does anyone know where RISD March grads end up working? And does RISD host a career day?

Apr 20, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

I denied RISD and Penn to go to Michigan>

Apr 20, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
dddlll

whoelse denied UPenn here? just curious.

Apr 20, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
dddlll

anyone?

Apr 22, 07 3:35 am  · 
 · 
KEG

me...penn.

Apr 22, 07 5:13 am  · 
 · 
dmc

yes, they're crazy.

Apr 22, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

errr...meant I'm going to penn.

didn't deny 'em (I should learn to read before I get there).

I denied UCLA, Cincinnati, Austin, Syracuse, and UW.

Penn it is. I am both terribly excited and nervous.

dmc...crazy for denying....or crazy for going?

Apr 22, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
dmc

hahahaha.... good one, WTD. crazy for going. RISD's definitely not for everyone.

i mean, penn is way too computerized for my taste, but i'd still take it over RISD. i'm moving to UT Austin in the fall, can't wait!

Apr 22, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

good luck in Austin....it was my first pick until I saw Penn and I just fell in love, but I still really like the UT program. I hope I'm making the right choice....

I think I am, but it's an expensive mistake if I'm not. Either way...Penn and Austin are great schools- we are both fortunate.

Congrats and keep us updated on the adventure.

Apr 22, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

DMC's just bitter. Eastern Europe makes you that way...

Apr 22, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
dmc

WTD,
thanks and congrats to you too. i know some great people who go to penndesign, i was very tempted to apply... enjoy penn, and start learning those rhino codes!

L,

don't bring my traumatic childhood into this. it's just NOT cool.

Apr 22, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
ARCTIC1

graduated from RISD in 2005 spent summers working for massie. The school is pretty connected so if you are good in studio and network you can get in a some good firms. libeskind, holl, som,vito acconci.

90k education that comes with a million dollar black book

Apr 23, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 
long_div

what about pratt? does anyone know if its as well connected?

Apr 24, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
PoorBoy

Hi

I am finishing up my March at Penn and I have a beautiful 4 br apartment 2 bath, freshly renovated in west philly at 44th and Locust. The neighborhood is great and I am on a small one way street that is mainly comprised of students and artists (Buckingham PL). Supreme Grocery store within a block. Laundry in Unit no quarters free to use, CVS within a block, and some great bars and restaurants around the corner. It is 2400 a month and has huge closets in every br and around the house for storage, island kitchen, central heat and AC, new appliances, tall windows and ceilings and beautiful restored hardwood floors throughout. Dual vanity bath with huge walkin shower upstairs. Parking is not a problem, lots of free street parking. Ill post a pdf with photos of it online soon. It is available June 1st. Please let me know if you are interested. The landlords are super cool, just two guys who live in the neighborhood and renovated the place, they come right over to fix anything that is wrong or broken. Let me know if you are interested. Truly a great place

Apr 24, 07 11:43 am  · 
 · 
PoorBoy
http://www.novatona.com/philly_apt

go here and download the pdf "buckingham_place_apt"

9 pages of images of the place.

Apr 24, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore
BURN ALL GRAD SCHOOL THREADS !

The Black Turtlenecks
Apr 25, 07 5:07 am  · 
 · 
ryjny27

dbd im going to RISD as well ... March.... its great that u got scholarships..well good luck and i will see u on the fall...

Jun 4, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: