Archinect
anchor

School essay: career in architecture.

whatthefuk

Hey I'm Emily, a highschool student in Surrey, BC, Canada. In my drafting class we have to do an essay about the career we want to go into envolving drafting. I of coarse want to be an architect, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some information I would be very greatful. I need to know stuff like working condition, wages, duties and recommended amount of education. Any information anyone has to give me would be awsome.

Apr 15, 07 4:17 pm
Apurimac

You need to read this book:

Apr 15, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

I'm getting a box with a red x.

Apr 15, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Wtf? Retry:

Apr 15, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

yah, thats not going to help me =P Essay is due 2mrw.

My teacher has me on a work at your own pace thing, because I'm in an apprentiship at kwantlen university already, so I'm farther ahead of the class, and she only told me on friday that I had to the written assignments she gave to the class. I'm currently working on a CAD Vs. hand drafting essay, then I have to do the career one. And I worked all day yesterday and friday so I havn't gotten much done, but I should be done this one in half an hour, and do the career one when I come back from work at 8. Tim Hortons over works me.

Apr 15, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh I'm sorry, you want us to write your essay for you? Yeah, we'll get right on that....

Why don't you use the search button at the bottom of the main Discussions page and do some "research" yourself?

Apr 15, 07 4:43 pm  · 
whatthefuk

My teacher told me to talk to architects, she actually want me to go in the phone book and phone one. I'm a little to shy for that, so I thaught as I talk on forums all the time I would try this? No need to freak out on me. I was just asking for some help?

Apr 15, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

surrey's a dump - get out while you can...

Apr 15, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Look your fucked as far as talking to real architects and getting any insight into the profession goes in a single 24hr period. My advice to you: Go to the library, find that book, stay up all night researching, type your paper at about 6 am and hand it in. That way you'll get superb insight into not only what we do by checking out that book, but also how we work by staying up all night and working you ass off. Please, stop spamming our forum, we will not write your paper for you and we will not hesitate to flame you if you persist. The profession is way to wide to cover in a single post, that's why that guy wrote a book about it.

Apr 15, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

oh, by the way :P

Apr 15, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
med.

lol

Does this chick want people on a message board to write her essay? I was far more creative in bullshitting essays in high school. Google wasn't around yet, but a simple "careers in architecture" search on webcrawler or yahoo deluted with a personal touch did the trick for me. I'm sure it's much easier now.

BTW, Roger K. Lewis's book is a very good read. It's a little dusty, but still very much in tune with the profession.

Apr 15, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Welcome to archinect. If you search through previous threads you may find quite a bit of information.

Phone an architect in your town. Pick a single practictioner or a small office (not a big company). Be polite on the phone, and have four or five questions prepared. Aim to take up less than ten minutes of their time. If they refuse to talk to you they're probably just busy or having a bad day. Anyone reasonable will be happy to help, I'm sure.

Apr 15, 07 7:10 pm  · 
1  · 

but OF you just gave them what they wanted...all of this "grrrr" and anger for nothing

Apr 15, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
velo

WTF, hate to be the one to tell you this - listing website forums as your reference or bibliography is usually a guaranteed F.

Apr 15, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

++

Apr 15, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

that's an asshole thing to suggest OF, I like you even more now

Apr 16, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

ugh, I really REALLY wasn't trying to get anyone to write my essay.

The whole thing about the essay was for me to talk to architects.

And to also learn about what I'm getting into.

I'm sorry, I was a bit frustrated with my work load earlier and didn't look in to other threads, I finally noticed the wage poll thing. And I didn't know this forum had a search bar, most forums don't.

Thanks to those of you that actually gave me some help.

To the others, well I hope your not usually this mean and just having a bad day.

I was actually on google trying to find someone I could e-mail and came across this.

I really didn't want to phone anyone, cuz I get upset when snapped at.

I was pretty happy to have found this, I'm really serious about becoming an architect and I thaught it would be cool to talk to some real architects, and a faster way of getting this done.

But I'm not going to get it done on time, its 950 pm, I just spent 2 hours dealing with a family right, police came blah blah, I'll just lose th 10% and hand it a really good essay on tuesday, instead of a shitty one on time.

Apr 16, 07 12:52 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Or, you could stay up all night like the rest of us. I'll be trolling the forums on and off all night.

And yes, we are pretty mean to people who come spaming our forum. I think this one is pretty tight as far as online communities go.

For example, your comment "yah, thats not going to help me =P Essay is due 2mrw." after i pointed out that book was obnoxious as hell and gave everyone here the impression you wanted us to write your essay for you.

Apr 16, 07 1:07 am  · 
 · 
Katze

whatthefuk – you really need to work on getting over your shyness. I'd say most of us at one time or another were timid or introverted, and it takes a lot of courage to get out there and talk to people, but the sooner you start, the better off you will be.

When you get into the real world, you will come to realize that communication is the key to success, and the more practice you get speaking with people one-on-one the better off you will be at communicating your thoughts and ideas. Communicating goes far beyond forums, emails, text messaging, websites, etc, etc. I know you mentioned that your teacher gave you a short notice to complete this assignment (can't say I really buy into your story) but if you want to do a good job on the assignment (or maybe the next assignment) I would start by setting up a few informational interviews with local architects. Then, use the research information (web, archinet site, books, etc) to support your story. Relying solely on this forum to write a paper is ludicrous.

Apr 16, 07 1:18 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I remeber when i was still in highschool i actually managed to score a tour of major Atlanta firm simply by striking up conversation with this guy at microcenter who happened to be the principal.

Apr 16, 07 1:23 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

Awwe, I feel bad I didn't mean it in a bad way the thats not going to help, thats one thing I put smily faces to show the attitude I'm using =P is usually a playful type mood.

ugh, I'v gotten off on a bad foor already =(

I really didn't know I had to do the assignments, I'm working on condo lay outs right now and trying to teach myself how to do the electric plan for my drawings, I was so upset that we had a new drafting teacher this year, she knows nothing about architecture and I was sapose to be taking architecture: habitation 12 this semester, and got stuck in drafting 12 because Mr. Morrison moved to metal fab, so I do have him just in another class. Your sapose to take drafting 12 first, but I got 94% in drafting 10 last year, and morrison gave me special permission to skip 11 & 12 and go straight in to a specialty. I'm drifting off topic, bassically I was pissed off, she said heres the txt book, have fun hand something in ever 2 weeks. Report card grades need to be sent in on tuesday, and I asked her what my mark was at, nearly had a heart attack when she said it was 62%. She said written work (those 2 essays) were 30% and she will give me full marks for them if I hand them in monday.

Oh and the drugs, yah no problem there. I smoked pot one, puked everywhere and I'm a paranoid person so I don't think I'll try any chemical drugs.

I'm good at talking once I get to know people, actually I talk to much once I get to know someone. I love talking, I'm just not good at talking to people I don't know, I get all nervous and scared if they are mean and snap at me.

As a major forum user I know how annoying spam is, I didn't think my inquiries would be considered spam or else I wouldn't have posted.

I'm having a read threw the threads, my interest has been drawn to architecture slavery, its very interesting. I hope I don't fall into that, couldn't afford it lol.

I actually signed up for the speech meet this year, to help me with talking to strangers. I'm working on an awsome essay from a jimi hendrix quote "knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Apr 16, 07 1:53 am  · 
 · 

And to go even further with the suggestions that OF and Katze posted (good ones, all), I think actually visiting architects' offices is important, not just for the paper but to really test your interest in architecture. While you'll get better interview answers out of sole practitioners or small firm owners, you'll get a better idea of the life by visiting offices with varying levels of employees. Do NOT just talk to/focus on the boss. Talk to a Project Manager and an Intern (recent graduate, not just student) as well as the guy whose name's on the door to get an idea of the road to the top, not just the view once you're there. We had a high school student visit our office as part of a career-exploration program at his school, and this guy got more face time with my boss in one week than I get in a year, more smiles, more advice, not a single harsh word. Is this representative of the profession? Hell no, so make sure that you see more than the inside of the top office while you're there.

Apr 16, 07 1:57 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

rationalist, I would be a mess haha

you should see me when I meet new people, especially a lot at a time.

I have a huge smile on my face and all I can do is nod and giggle.
If I talk I studder or say something stupid.

But I am working on it! Maybe when the speach meet is over I'll have a little more confidence. That sounds like a good idea, I just don't want them to like slam the door in my face.

Apr 16, 07 2:01 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

You talk to much? Really? Nah, i'm playing. You sound stressed, take it easy.

Apr 16, 07 2:03 am  · 
 · 

I know it's really annoying when you have a problem with something and people tell you, "well, you're going to have to get over that." But the fact is, at some point, you're going to have to get over that. The only way to do it is to practice. Like you, I have a hard time with new people, but when I find a work-related situation difficult, I remind myself that I'll never get anything in this world if I'm too shy to ask.

Start with the phone calls, work up to visits by the time you're actually applying to architecture schools.

Apr 16, 07 2:08 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

hahaha yah, I'v taken on more then i can handle this year.
I have highschool, classes -physics 11, math principles 11, Drafting 12 and metal fab & machining 11.
I'm exceptionally good at math, so I always finish my math homework before class ends.
I am stroggling with phyics, so I usually have an hour hw from that.
I tutor for volunteer hours at my school math tutorials mon, wed-fri
I also have an apprentiship program threw my school at kwantlen university college that i go to once a week on tuesday, but get 15 hours on homework a week from.
I work 20 hours a week at tim hortons, and I do demolition and Haz Mat when I have days off on the weekend, or pro-d days from school.

So I'm pretty busy, and I'm starting to pull my hair out. I have bitten off all my nails, I have bags under my eyes, I havn't done my hair and make up in a week because I'm up doing hw all night.

And tonight I'm considering stay up to finish this essay. But I don't think thats going to work.

Apr 16, 07 2:11 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

I'm trying, I talk to more people at school now...
before I just did my work, hung out at the smoke pit at lunch with my handful of friends.
Now I'm in rugby, and I'm starting to become good friends with a few girls on the team. I was in rugby last year, but I didn't go on trips, this year I went to kamloops already and I spent 5 hours talking to a few girls on the bus up and they want me to hang out with them more, and they keep introducing me to people, and its getting a little easier. But I'm still ultra nervous, especailly around the cute boys haha. Once I start talking to them its fine, but the first few minutes I'm like a total ditz.

Apr 16, 07 2:17 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Ah, you sound like the PERFECT candidate for the profession. And i am being completely serious.

Apr 16, 07 2:18 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

hahaha not if I don't get that physics grade up. 76%, its pathetic.

But this is the coditions I work best under

how I work is - I'll have a mini hissy fit, in which I cry and bitch about not wanting to do all this work.

Then I work ULTRA hard to try and have time to go out, but some how I end up with even more work.

Then I freak out, slam doors scream, smoke have a dozen smokes in an hour then I work hard again.

The thing is, if I get in to what I'm doing I can't stop, or I lose all motivation.

Seriously, I worked on a mural in my room for 17 hours straight, stopped, havn't touched it since. Thats was erm a year ago.

Apr 16, 07 2:23 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

like i said, perfect candidate. You'll fit right in at arch. school.

Apr 16, 07 2:25 am  · 
 · 
Katze

whatthefuk - stop forum taking, get on writing your paper (the clock is ticking) and make us proud...

Apr 16, 07 2:27 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

I finished one paper, autocad vs hand drafting.

And I'm multitasking, something us women do you know?

I got 2 other windows of this site going.

Looking at diff threads, I also got google going.

Thats proving to be useless though.

Apr 16, 07 2:29 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

oh, fuk, that's classic archinect sarcasm

Apr 16, 07 2:33 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

/is lost

Apr 16, 07 2:35 am  · 
 · 
Katze

one down - good!

do you know that multitasking reduces your IQ score? seriously.

Apr 16, 07 2:37 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

Bahaha thats okay I'm use if I lose some IQ I'm still ahead of the 98% stoner population of my generation.

Apr 16, 07 2:42 am  · 
 · 
Katze

:) :) :) now get cracking on your assignment. I'll make you a deal. I'll stop posting if you stop posting so you can concentrate on your assignment, ok???

Apr 16, 07 2:46 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

you just want to get rid of me =P

haha, I'm still researching.

I like to plan out essays, so I need all my info first.

Apr 16, 07 2:47 am  · 
 · 

i've been trying to add a post for the last 15 minutes...must be a sign

Apr 16, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

wtf do you have any defined mental | social illnesses like OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder) or ADDT (Attention ....hey look a kitty...

or uhmm or are BiPolar?

Apr 16, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

are you hot?

Apr 16, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

are you 18?

Apr 16, 07 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

getting straight to the point mdler?

"Thats what i like about high-school girls, i get older and they stay the same age."

Apr 16, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Besides man i thought your already had something goin on with tumbleweed

Apr 16, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

mdler mixed up his questions. You need to ask their age first

Apr 16, 07 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

ya'll - you need to stop antagonizing her; these distractions will prolong her paper writing!!! Yeah – like OF said – post the papers when you finish them!

Apr 17, 07 12:02 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

I'm 17 hahaha and erm I don't know?

17th bday.. drinking?

Me and Scott

ignore the date on the cam, I don't know how to fix it, thats like a year off.

I actually do have OCD, most people notice when I freak out for them putting my CDs in the wrong spot, and instead of just putting it in the right spot, I take them all down and put them up again.

And as for the bi-polar, Scott keeps telling me I am, I keep telling him my moods only change a lot because hes always pissing me off =P

Apr 17, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

and as for my papers. Its an informal essay, and on top of that I suck at anything thats not a persuasive (sp?) essay.

the other ones on my dads comp cuz my lap top its a bitch. heres the hand drafting vs cadd.

btw I totally used your guys discussion on it. Hope no one minds.

In every generation there is a question that is an on going debate, no matter what you argue you are never right. As far back as anyone can remember we have known the question “what came first the chicken or the egg?” and when I asked my mom she said for her generation it had to be “Did OJ really do it?.” But now we are in the age of technology so here is my question, what is more efficient technology or the traditional way? In my opinion, the answer to this lies within the changing questions threw out generations, like these questions our manner of approaching things should evolve as we go along. Auto Cadd, and other Computer aided drafting (CAD) programs are much faster, accurate and editable then hand sketching. With every agrument facts must be present for both sides, the following is the advantages and disadvantages of CAD and hand sketching.

CAD is a relatively new product, well at least it is to adults. It is a computer program that allows you to make blue prints and models just like you would by hand but with easier editing tools. They traded in the eraser for trim and extend, so instead of pulling out the erasing shield like we would have done in "the dark ages" we can just type "tr" then click a few lines, click enter, click a few more lines and then esc to move on to another task. It is also a time saver in many other aspects. "We prefer computer drafted plans for a number of reasons. First, we typically have our sites digital surveyed with GPS technology. This ensures an accurate basemap and topographic information that can help in project planning." (Michael O'Connell, http://www.oclandscape.com/ocblog/archives/2005/09/digital_draftin.html) We need to remember that the market is getting younger, younger people have an obsession with technology. "I don't think our clients would stand for hand-drafted sets. Even our small, residential clients are "sophisticated" enough that they expect to send us CAD files from their surveyors, receive emailed 3D models that they can spin around on their home computers, etc. Larger clients expect full integration with their existing CAD-based facilities drawings. Some local zoning offices even require CAD drawings from us." (username: Aluminate, http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=14444_0_42_0_C) "i love hand drawing, but you can't beat the efficiency of the computer." (username: e, http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=14444_0_42_0_C) Even those who enjoy hand drafting have to admit, CAD is just so much more efficient. Not to mention how much paper is saved by just sending files instead of printing them. Did you know that "1 ton of uncoated virgin (non-recycled) printing and office paper uses 24 trees" (http://www.conservatree.com/learn/EnviroIssues/TreeStats.shtml) thats a lot of trees.
Hand drafting is an ancient and mastered technique, people spend months to years perfecting their lines. It takes a great amount of skill, acurracy and effort. Hand drawings are more personal, have more emotion, and just look amazing. "my proj architect does all his drawings by hand (doesn't know cad), and they are some of the most informative and didactic drawings i've ever seen. his drawings are so wonderfully beautiful that, if i want, i could simply scan his drawings, lay them out with our office titleblock, and voila, the drawing set is done." (username: taboho, http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=14444_0_42_0_C) Hand drawn designs can really look like a piece of art, the problem is the amount of time they take. What would you rather do, 2 hand sketches that look amazing or 5 CAD designs that convey the same information and took the same amount of time? Hand drafting has the advantage of extra creativity, and less limitation. "Hand drafting is much more tactile. No limitation of screen size...freedom to draw." (username: jasoncross, http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=14444_0_42_0_C) Another positive point to hand drawing is you don't get the physical strains of working at a computer. "[M]any individuals who work at a computer report a high level of job-related complaints and symptoms, including ocular discomfort, muscular strain and stress." Personally, I believe in being fast and efficient, and working threw the pain.
The way I see it is CAD drawings give just as much information as hand drawings and they are easier to make, and I love working with computers. Personally, I am left handed so my hand drawings tend to smudge so I have to always brush off the lead shavings and that takes up to much time. I believe that in 5 years hand drafting is going to be phased out, all the old architects will retire and us younger architects will take over and modernize everything in our pass.

Apr 17, 07 12:16 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

and before people start asking me what part of spain or south america I come from. I am Portuguese, and its not the same thing.

Apr 17, 07 12:31 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The only part of the essay I feel like arguing is the paper usage issue: I use FAR more paper now than back int he hand-drafting days. Back then you had one sheet of 24x36 for each page of the set and that was IT: we had erasers, electric erasers, razor blades, and this sepia-erasing liquid toxin all to maintain the correct information on ONE sheet of drawing. The paper itself was precious.

These days I'll fire off 40 8.5x11 test plots without blinking, and then often 2-3 full size test plots too. Not to mention printing out things to fax, file, send to the neighbors, sketch on top of...

Recently, the use of pdfs changes that last a bit, but I think overall paper usage related to computer ousage is ridiculously high.

Apr 17, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

umm hyper links? She wanted it cited on the paper, so I copied the links =S

Thats what my english teacher thaught me to do last semester...

I didn't have much to say once I had written arguments for and against each one. My teacher wanted 6 comments from other people so thats what I gave her lol.

And as for the line weight thing, the plotters at my school have line weights I had to spend like 4 hours making templates for imperial and metric because line weights are set by colour, on coarse when you make your layers you can over ride this my specifying your own line weight.

Apr 17, 07 12:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: