Archinect
anchor

School essay: career in architecture.

whatthefuk

Seriously? My teacher said that it used less paper because everyone just emailed it around...

Apr 17, 07 12:48 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I think that method of practice is quickly coming, wtf, but I think in the last 10 years we've been chewing through vast forests to get there.

Apr 17, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

Well I hope it does, growing up in BC I'm use to being surrounded by trees. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Apr 17, 07 1:09 am  · 
 · 

for your mums generation "if OJ really did it" << damn we've officially gotten old. There was an OJ thread not long ago i'm sure

Apr 17, 07 1:11 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

hahaha yah, I went up to her and asked her and I'm like it would be did michael really do it? and shes like no it would be more like did OJ do it? And I was like wtf is OJ? And she told me the story, first thing I said was Leather shrinks when wet, and shes like exactly why no one know the true answer.

Apr 17, 07 1:15 am  · 
 · 
mdler

there is some great Portuguese architecture...

things with tumbles are good...just setting up a contengency plan if things go south...or dont ;)

also, I am trying to turn Archinect into Myspace

Apr 17, 07 2:34 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

Yah there is, I love going there and looking at all the old buildings

And theres this bride thats like ulta long I believe its called vaske da gama well thats what it sounds like, I can't relly write in Portuguese, I can read pretty good though.

My favorite piece of architecture in portugal is the prison in my dads home town.

i can't find pics from inside, the church inside is amazing. but I'll get some in the summer.

Apr 17, 07 2:44 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

And my second essay, well its more like a report.

When looking to per sue a career in architecture you really do have to look into it. Everyone thinks it is such a glamorous job, even my brother says the architect that comes it his site all the time wear armani and fancy runner steel toes. But most architects don't have this kind of life style, and the job is not as easy as many people think. It is not your regular 9-5 job, there is a lot of work done outside the paying hours. Many architects live off of 5 or 6 hours sleep because they are up late working on projects. Not only do they work long hours, their offices are usually under-equipped and over crowded. The up side is it is usually a pretty relaxed environment with amazing co-workers.

Architects do more then just design structures, they go on building sites to check progress on the building and make any adjustments to the drawings that are required, they have to check build codes and get a permit too for their structure. Many times there a lot of environmental obstacles that they need to work around, which usually takes hours and hours of planning and finding solutions to these obstacles. Depending on what kind of corporation you work for you will have different duties. If you work for a high class firm they will most likely have you doing the same thing over and over again that you have proven to be very proficient at, smaller firms usually give you more room for experimentation.

An architects salary like most other jobs varies depend on experience and where you work. Someone with 3 years experience working in a small firm might make $30,000 - $40,000 a year. Where as the project manager who probably has 8+ years experience might be making $40,000 - $60,000 a year. A lot of firms give out raises, and have a decent medical plan, either full dental and medical or even half if your unfortunate enough to live in America. Most get 14 days paid vacation and 14 sick/personal days but of coarse this varies between firms.

If you want to become an architect it is recommended that you at least get a bachelors, but preferably a masters degree with such high competition for entry leveled positions. It is estimated that a lot more job openings will be available in the next 5-10 years as a lot of architects reach the age where they start to retire.

A current problem in the architecture industry is unpaid internships. People want so badly to put the name of high class firms on their resumes that they are willing to work for free as an intern. This is of coarse devaluing the industry as people prefer cheap labor, so instead of people being able to negotiate for higher wages they have to either settle for lower wages or even just be turned away as someone else is willing to do it for free. This is un fare seeing as if someone can work for free then they obviously have a lot of money, and are now taking jobs away from hard working, probably better qualified people who do need the money. Over all I have this much to say, you really must love your job to put up with a lot of this.

Apr 17, 07 3:20 am  · 
 · 
mdler

whatthefuck

that is probably the most concise and accurate description of the architecture profession I have ever read...good work

oh yea, Canada is still to blame for global warming

Apr 17, 07 3:30 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

mdler, dont be cruel.

Apr 17, 07 3:34 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

Haha well its all thanks to all of you =)

I took bits of things you guys have said in different discussions and just elaborated of them a bit.

Actually that whole last paragraph is all information I got from one discussion.

atleast we have better health care in canada, so we can treat people with skin cancer from the UV rays faster because they don't need to come up with ridiculous amounts of money. =P

We had to find some way to kill off Americans =P

Apr 17, 07 3:34 am  · 
 · 
bucku

you're pretty close. (i havent read this whole thread because i cant stand when people are assholes to the newbys) just to let you know, i got offered what you're saying a pm gets offered and i am about to graduate undergrad.
i hated that book they are pandering. i thought it tried to talk you out of becoming an architect though it is pretty truthful with what it says.
also, there was a cnn article or something about the most respected jobs. architects were third behind lawyers and doctors. cnn also had another article about 10 worst payed jobs. we were right in the middle of that as well.

Apr 17, 07 3:47 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i am just fucking with you concerning the global warming...we all know it is China's fault

As to your essay, I do think it provides an accurate look into the profession. You have nailed it on the head by describing some of the less glamorous aspects of things (building departments, clients, etc)

Apr 17, 07 3:47 am  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

yah I figured so much, I wouldn't want to kill of Americans, that would be the end of dictatorship in north america.

And thanks =D

Apr 17, 07 3:52 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

you can write about how you get shafted in architecture....

Apr 17, 07 8:48 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

nice job, whatthefuk. do proofread it one more time before you submit it, but i think you've captured the profession pretty well for someone completely new to it.

Apr 17, 07 9:31 am  · 
 · 

prrofreading def reqwired.

lovin the usage of "high class firm" in the paper.

Apr 17, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
w3
ArchCareers
Apr 17, 07 11:06 am  · 
 · 
rebelliousz_poet

that sounds like a very good link...

Apr 17, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Not sure that unpaid internships are such a huge problem in the profession that it deserves 20+% of the body in the entire report. Also not so sure about your editoralizing comments in regards to health care. What does that have to do with the fact that most architects get benefits beyond wages alone? Maybe add something about the education, internship, registration process.

Apr 17, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
If you want to become an architect it is recommended that you at least get a bachelors, but preferably a masters degree with such high competition for entry leveled positions

I don't find this to be true. It is far more important to explain the difference between a professional degree and a pre-professional degree in architecture, because I haven't met an employer who distinguishes in any way between someone with an M.Arch and someone with a B.Arch.

Apr 17, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Nice essay. On a side note, I would stab someone for 28 days off a year.

Apr 17, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, I noticed that, too. When we say "2 weeks paid vacation", that means 10 days, not 14, as we still pay lipservice to the idea of only working 5 days a week.

Apr 17, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Mark Anthony
I don't find this to be true. It is far more important to explain the difference between a professional degree and a pre-professional degree in architecture, because I haven't met an employer who distinguishes in any way between someone with an M.Arch and someone with a B.Arch.

portfolio is everything.

Apr 17, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

yeah, because living in America is SUCH torture because as we all know health insurance is the key to happiness.

Keep that in mind the next time you need our imperialistic standing army to defend you.

Nah, i got love for canada. You all are WAY to cocky about your public healthcare though.

Apr 17, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

MA- portfolio is everything, until licensure becomes an issue.

Apr 17, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

aquapura - teacher wanted a paragraph on a problem in the profession.

rationalist - I got that bit off some web site, I guess its asummed higher education is better?

chili Davis - My mom gets like 4 weeks paid vacation, and as many sick days as she needs, but she needs doc note if it becomes a regular thing. Become a highly successful travel agent, with like 20 companys fighting over you. And thats stupid, 10 days off? arg, looks like I'm not going to be going to portugal much once I start working.

Apr 17, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Your mom goes to college.

Apr 17, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

Apurimac - I like to put humor into my essay/reports, usually humor that will make the teach laugh, my teacher ALWAYS bashes americans.

Health care here is awsome though, they will pay for my cousin to get implants because she has one B cup and C cup, and she says she gets picked on at school about (which she doesn't) and they said no problem. You can get anything fixxed for free bassically here if your under 18 and it causes you emotional distress. One of my friends got his ears cut, and my doctor said if I want a reduction ( I sadly have been cursed with a DDD chest ) that he would sign the papers saying to is bad for my back.

I'm trying to grt a portfolio together now so I don't get all stressed in gr 12 next year. But I don't know what to put it. grr.

Apr 17, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

whatthefuck- at least in the US, the main thing is to have a professional degree. Anything ending in "Arch" is professional- B.Arch or M.Arch. Either can fulfill one component of licensure eligibility. A BA in architecture or a BS in architecture does not fulfill that component. So when someone has a BA or a BA, then they need to get a masters degree (M.Arch). When someone has a B.Arch, no further education is necessary. Most employers do not distinguish at all between someone with a B.Arch and someone with an M.Arch. In the early years of work, there is not always a noticeable difference between someone with a B.Arch/M.Arch or BA, but eventually there will be a difference because the person with the professional degree will be getting their license (which usually comes with a jump in payscale), and the person with a pre-professional degree won't be able to.

The educational system for architects is complicated, much debated, and not as easy as "its asummed higher education is better."

Apr 17, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

my mom never graduated highschool. no one in my family has lol. I'm going to be the first, well close family like grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousin ect.

Apr 17, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

fuck getting my master then.

Apr 17, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I cannot tell you how desturbing the idea of having public tax dollars pay for a boob job is to me. But hey...

If you guys ever get around to legalizing pot, ill be there in a heartbeat.

Apr 17, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Apurimac - not all Canadians are cocky about their healthcare....especially when they cough up their own income to get treated in American hospitals because the Canadian ones couldn't help them. I have a family member in Canada that got fed up with misdiagnoses and endless tests in Calgary and Toronto hospitals so they came to the Mayo clinic, got treated, and not a problem since.

whatthefuk - Sure, it's great that you can get breast augmentation paid for in Canada, and I don't ever use the cliche "waiting list" argument to defend the American healthcare system. However, if I get really sick, I'd rather go bankrupt paying for care in the USA than taking my chances anywhere else in the world.

Sorry to threadjack, but I find many Canadians equally ignorant about America as Americans are of Canada.

Apr 17, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Thanks aqua for clarifying. Just every canadian i've come across really fancies the whole "free" healthcare thing. Sounds like in some cases you get what you pay for.

Apr 17, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

umm its bassically legal, the worst that happens if you have 4 or 5 joins is they take it away

but from what i hear about how expensive and shitty american weed is im sure you wouldnt be to upset if you got somee BC budd confiscated. Seeing as you got higher from 1 joint then 3 american ones, at probably half the price.

I use to smoke pot, now only do on 420 for the last 3 years.

There is this huge thing at the art gallery in Vancouver every year, of like thousands and thousands of people smoking pot, and the cops dont do shit.

Apr 17, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

oh and i have always gotten amazment treatment here.

Thats probably because I have an amazing family doctor.
I went for a check up and told him I was coughing a lot and my lungs hurt.

And he made me take all these x-rays and a blood test and a bunch of other things to make sure he found out what it was.

I had pnemonia and broncitus, that was like 4 years ago, thats when I quit smoking pot.

Apr 17, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

wtf, i find your consistent stereotyping of the U.S. funny, in an "im laughing at you" sort of sense.

I don't want "cops look the other way legal" I wan't legal. We have alot of "cops look the other way legal" down here too.

Apr 17, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

no, I have family in America, and my bro was in New Bedford last year, told me he paid $20 for the shittiest dime bag of his life.

IF you join BC MP ( british columbia marajuana party ) its legal for you to carry 2 pounds of pot on you as long as its for personal use.

Apr 17, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

hmm, i may persue my masters in Vancouver then. Great town by the way.

Trust me, you can find good American weed, you just gotta know where to look.

Apr 17, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

how much for a gram though?

But good luck joining BC MP, took my demo/hazmat boss like 5 years to get in, first he had to befriend the right the people, show them what he knows about pot, then he pulled out the troil =P troil = troys oil. I garentee you will green if you take more then 2 hoots of it your first time.

Apr 17, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

So Canada is great because there is "free" healthcare and marijuana is "almost legal." Wonder where that puts Holland?

Apr 17, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

LOL

Apr 17, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

I think that puts them both way too far from the equator for me to have any interest in...

Apr 17, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

very true rationalist, Canada is way too cold for me. Went to montreal once and nearly died. Vancouver sounds nice though..

Apr 17, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

aquapura stop taking everything so seriously. if i really thaught canada was better then america would i want to leave canada for america?

Apr 17, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

oh, and vancouver is nice but our weather is a mood bitch.

one day took the sky train from van to surrey which takes like 40 minz, and i passed threw all the seasons.

Windy and raining in van(fall), sunny & really warm in burnaby(summer), Light rain with bits of showers in new westminster (spring), and fucking snow in surrey.

Apr 17, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

so I only skimmed this thread, but I managed to notice that at first "whatthefuk" casually mentioned that she'd only tried pot once and puked everywhere and then didn't do it again... and now appears to be a champ pothead. whatthefuk, indeed...

Apr 17, 07 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the cuervo gold the FiNeCoLoMbIaNmake your essay a beautiful thing...

Apr 17, 07 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

yeah myriam, that's an interesting point...

Apr 17, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: