Archinect
anchor

UCLA conditional admission

Hogan

my entry into the m.arch1 program requires at least one college-level course in each of physics, maths, history of arch and basic design or drawing. and i am missing all other 3 except maths. what should i do? can i take class in ucla after my matriculation to make them up? there is no community school thing in china and i already graduate, seems nowhere to register a college class...

does anyone have the same problem? any advice?

Apr 14, 07 5:10 am
whitllam

There are still quite a few current first year students who have recently or currently taking these kind of courses (arch. history, physics, etc.), so you will can slide them in during your first year of study (at some points, you'll have to take 4 classes instead of 3, for example). You could either take them at UCLA or at a local community college, all depending on if the credit will transfer over and the finances behind it. Give a call to the UCLA architecture office (Jim Kies may be able to help) and see what kind of information they provide.

Apr 14, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Hogan

thanks so much whitllam, btw, are you a current student there?

Apr 14, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
whitllam

Yes, I am. Currently a 1st Year M.Arch I.

Apr 14, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sconie

i was hoping that someone would start a "future UCLA students commiserate here" thread. this is pretty close though. I was told during the open house that you could take classes at a junior college and that you dont even have to take a grade—pass/fail. is that right? (im pretty sure it was jim who i had talked about prereqs)

I’m currently looking for an art history during the summer, but I’m not having an easy go of it. the only university I’ve found with a history of architecture class during the summer is at the University of Pittsburg. I just might taking it at ucla during the winter quarter when its offered there.

Apr 14, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Hogan

sconie, so this is no problem for me now, right? i may take the courses at ucla too.

another question: where do most arch guys live? on campus or off?

Apr 14, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

Many people live on what could be generally referred to as the west side of LA. There are at least a dozen of us who live right in Westwood. It's extremely convenient as we can walk to class and walk home during the day and get back up to school with ease. When you are counting on the bus system and your car to get you back and forth it complicates things. I think Westwood is easily the most convenient place to live, however is not very stimulating, like Venice or parts of Santa Monica are. It will come down to what you are comfortable doing and what you prioritize. You can find cheaper rent in more exciting places if you are willing to spend 30-60 min in order to get to and from school. I know some people live over 30 miles away (over 1 hr commute sometimes) and they manage it. It all comes down to what factors are important to you, but no place will offer it all.

Apr 14, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sconie

hogan- i would definitely call Jim Kies in the arch department. he may be able to help you plan out when and how to take thoes classes. im not worried, because i only have to take one class. friends of mine who have more than one prereq to complete are doing summer school.

Apr 14, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Hogan

sconie-i dont think i can do summer school, my time is really tight.

anyone tends to accommodate in weyburn terrace?

Apr 15, 07 2:01 am  · 
 · 
mctwist657

Hogan,

I know for sure you can take the history during the year, in addition to your other classes, but I am not sure about the drawing and math. Call Jim and he will be able to spell it all out for you. Have you guys all accepted?

Apr 15, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Sconie

youll see me at perloff in the fall. i submitted my letter of intent this past friday.

Apr 15, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Hogan

me too...

Apr 15, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

Ooh yay for this tread. I'll be taking physics at Santa Monica College with 222 this summer and will have to take arch history during the winter quarter at UCLA. Let us know what Jim says. I was told that I’d have to take physics before beginning (which was fine with me. It means that I HAVE to leave my job in June... not my fault... I don't have a choice) but because it's so hard to find an arch history class during the summer, they are allowing us take it while attending. Maybe if you argue your case they'll help you find a solution.

Apr 15, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

Where are you guys thinking of living? I have been looking at santa monica, venice, and marina del rey (its a little cheaper, and has good access via the 90 to the 405).

Apr 15, 07 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Hogan

1. who give me Jin's tele number?

2. what's the rent plus utility?

Apr 15, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

don't rely on the 405, it sucks. it's infamous for being a great big giant parking lot during rush hours, ESPECIALLY in the evening. there were days when i sat in traffic for 2+ hours and i only live about 25 miles from ucla. one hour was my average commute, but that doesn't take into account parking and getting to and from class.

looks like you're trying to stay within the beach community but if that's not necessary than consider century city. westwood itself is nice too, right next to bel air, and close enough to santa monica, venice, etc.

Apr 15, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

that was for mctwist657, btw

Apr 15, 07 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

hey guys,

just got back from LA a few days go. I am going in for a concurrent March I and MUP so although I am technically part of your arch. class this year, I won't be taking any classes with you until the FOLLOWING year.

I still have to do the physics req, which is the scariest thing in the world, for me, basically.

I heard from a girl who is currently in the arch/planning program that the UCLA undergrad intro to physics is like, impossible. She said that it's a huuuuge lecture with no professor contact and very fast-paced multiple choice exams, and that the course is used to weed out the physics department (read: very demanding). She said she's never received anything lower than As in any class EVER, and that she failed this physics course.

So I'm basically looking at community colleges :D

Apr 16, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

hey all,
i'm at michigan right now, i took an online physics course through broome community college in new york state last year to cover my physics req, it was reasonably easy. there are a bunch of options out there if you're not near a school that offers the courses you need

Apr 16, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Hogan

does this mean you just stay in front of the screen and do quizs online? how do you get the transcript or credit certificate?

Apr 17, 07 1:58 am  · 
 · 
mmmax

ok, let's see if i can set the record straight:

i'm a first yr student and currently taking physics 10. i didn't take it before i enrolled, even though i was supposed to, and no one ever tracked me down and pulled me out of school.

physics 10 is as easy as can be. on today's quiz i had to divide 300 by 2.

however, it's a silly class and a big waste of time that could be much better spent working on exciting studio stuff, so i encourage you to get the requirements out of the way before you start school. ucla does't care how/where you fulfill the requirement; i would recommend taking the easiest and cheapest class.

you can also take the history of art class during the year; it's not a big deal, and there will be plenty of other m.arch 1s in the class with you. i wouldn't waste money taking it elsewhere, unless you find a particularly interesting class and want to take it for your own edification. the winter quarter ucla class's coverage of the material is pretty perfunctory and uninspiring.

Apr 17, 07 4:16 am  · 
 · 
juststarting

mmmax - thanks for the info. would you recommend taking jumpstart to get the basic design prereq, as well as part of history prereq, out of the way and get settled in? problem is it's so expensive. is it worth it? i may be better off with community college drawing class just to get something out of the way but save the money. thanks again.

Apr 17, 07 4:52 am  · 
 · 
Hogan

do you guys know when the m.arch1 program begins this fall? i get email telling me its at the end of september.

Apr 18, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Hogan

c'mon!!!

Apr 18, 07 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Hogan

sure

Apr 18, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Hogan

i so badly need your trick!!!

Apr 18, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Hogan

hahah....you should have told us you are for m.arch2

Apr 18, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles

I so badly need your tricks as well...

Apr 18, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Sconie

ive decided to take the art history component during the winter semester. the only university i could find thus far that offers a survey course on the entire history of architecture during the upcoming summer is at the university of pittsburg. whos coming with me? http://www.haa.pitt.edu/undergraduate/course_listing/as_summer2077.html

Apr 18, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

hey tumbles-

wow, ah...um...your loft, MAN.

I was hoping to move into one of those art deco dealies in Koreatown, not bad maybe $900 for a studio? ONly like 7 miles from UCLA.

Do you have defined bedrooms? I live in a huge 1600 sqft loft now in Boston, but we never got around to building rooms! Are you a...guy or a girl? Also, how far away from UCLA are you?

WOW personal questions, huh? Sorry :D

Apr 18, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles

I can hang your drywall...

Apr 18, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles

I'm hung like drywall, btw

Apr 18, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
nixietube

a couple of years ago. . . .
i made it through ucla w/o ever taking a physics class. i had an architecture background and had already taken structures courses, for which physics is theoretically- in the eyes of ucla at least, a prerequisite. i think i just asked and had it waived. talk to jim, hes reasonable about such things.

if you haven't had structures classes in the past, wait until after taking them at ucla to speak to someone. frame it like this: "hey, so i've taken structures here- do i still have to take physics? there are so many other classes i'd like to take." unless they've dramatically cracked down, that should do the trick.

Apr 18, 07 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

as mentioned above i know several classmates that have settled the pre-reqs while at UCLA. first years this year have taken art-history, physics, and calculus. so don't stress.

Apr 21, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
peachymuch

i figure that if i'm living farther, then staying on campus past rush hour to complete work in the studio will probably help.

i'm also going to be taking history of arc in Winter 08. the one offered with jumpstart was pretty easy so it shouldn't be TOO bad to take during the academic year.

off topic for current UCLA students: i have to miss a friday during 1st week of classes for a wedding...will it be a problem? also, does anyone ever buy a drafting table+ extra mayline to do work from home? i'd prefer to bring my work home rather than have to walk to my car at 1am in the morn...

May 24, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

you'll use a mayline for exactly ONE project for ONE drawing.

it's good to establish yourself as a studio regular. but as of late i've been working from home as some of the distractions of studio are proving too much for my ADD (ADHD) mind to handle.

agree with tumbleweed though. the quality of work of those that work exclusively or primarily at home does seem to suffer. it's always good to talk about your projects w/ others and you get some pretty good feedback. though sometimes studio CAN be unbearable. (see Squirrel incident of Halloween 2006).

May 24, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: