Archinect
anchor

Musical Instruments

difficultfix

How many of you can play a musical instrument...

Just curious...I play guitar..Its something that obsses my mind and soul......It is some thing that wins over Architecture to me....

I love Architecture....But Playing the Guitar..is something that will never go away....

So how many of you have this same dilema

Apr 13, 07 10:03 pm
xtbl

yeah, i'm starting to hear you on that.

i'm currently taking beginning guitar @ my local community college. it's so fun! it's one of the things i look forward to each week, my wednesday night guitar class.

Apr 13, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I don't play an instrument, but I wish I did. I have a particular interest in pipe organs, not only because they produce an incredible variety of sounds, but also because they're one of very few musical instruments that's (usually) physically part of a building.

Apr 13, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
ARKTEK

i have written and recorded lots of music--but i am just beginning my architecture venture by starting an associate's degree program in the fall. started playing guitar about 1990 as a freshman in college (wow, that was a long time ago), and even had a classical phase where i went back and learned to read and write the notes on the page and began some orchestral stuff. it is all 'on the shelf' right now. i am sure it will alwalys be something i tinker with.

i started out recording on a crappy little four track cassette multitrack in college and several incarnations later was using cakewalk multitrack studio software.

Apr 13, 07 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Right on...

Yeah When you first start playing, Its like being in Architecture School...it takes up all your time....ALL OF IT.

so now School..is my new Guitar....

Architecture is the music.....

So whats the name of your Band....?

ARCHITELLICA

ARCHODON>>>

ARCH--LAYER

system of an Archinect.

Apr 14, 07 1:32 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

in architecture school, i wanted to have a sixties pop band called the t-squares. sadly i got too busy with studio.

Apr 14, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Architour...

Arch Enemy (taken)

Arch Angel

ARCHitonics

Apr 14, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

don't even think of using my name either

Apr 14, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

but seriously I respect anyone that plays a musical instrument, having spent most of my life around folks that that played more than one instrument, it wasn't until heading to architecture school that i met people that didn't - and it was loads of us. Many like me were told to develop other talents - fine arts versus music. But i still have a love affair with the trumpet and the steel pan... perhaps because they are so anti-traditional with their sound

ah well day dreaming...

Apr 14, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Yeah I was forced to take saxophone lessons from 4th grade thru 7th because my sister gave it up. I hated it. Then I started playing guitar at 15 and haven't stopped yet, although I don't get nearly enough playing time in with doing architecture full-time.

Apr 14, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
n_

many years ago, i played the guitar and bass. i was in an awesome disgruntled junior high band called 'the pinheads.' if i recall correctly, we had three practices then broke up after our drummer moved away. we could have made it big one day...

unfortunately, i haven't played either instrument in years.

Apr 14, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Apr 14, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
binary

why use an instrument....... i beat box.....yes..... beat box...since the 80's....listening to fat boys/doug e fresh/greg nice/skinny boys........ i dont need a carrying case either...haha

b

Apr 14, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah!!! guitar hero!!! they need to hurry up and put it out on wii!

Apr 14, 07 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

just bought a new takamine Gseries today. it's black. (acoustic elect)

Apr 14, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

OldFogey ,

can you guys play the lemon song?

Apr 14, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

guitar, bass, piano/keyboard, drums...played trumpet in middle school but have since lost that ability.

Apr 14, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the lemon song is the shit!!...i'm listening to it right now and it's making my head nod uncontrollably..hah

Apr 14, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I like

The Ocean

Dazed and Confused

and Rock N Roll

Apr 14, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i spent the better part of the last 10 years in a band. if anyone's remotely curious, drop by here. although we've been pretty much dormant for the last year or so, we put out a handful of records, toured the states a few times, were on the college radio charts, and definitely had some good times. i write, play guitar/bass and sing. i've always dug the recording and production side of it as well, so blip...i'm with you on that front.

Apr 15, 07 1:38 am  · 
 · 
Mark Anthony

Before I decided I wanted to be in architecture I wanted to be a music major. I sort of came to realization that all I could do would be to teach with a degree so I changed my mind about it and all the theory was going in one ear, staying for the tests, and going out the other.
I started out playing trumpet, then progressed to guitar, and I'm feeling my way around the piano now.

Apr 15, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
whatthefuk

I'm insterment obsessed.

I have a drum kit, guitar, key board, clarinet, flute and trumpet.

I can play a lot of concert band type insterments.

Music = my life. hands down.

Apr 15, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

I wish I knew an instrument. I wanted to take piano lessons as a kid but we couldn't afford it. I've also always wanted to learn to play the cello; it's so beautifully mournful. I taught myself to play a couple easy piano songs, but I can't actually read sheet music and don't play correctly.

Apr 15, 07 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

i play the violin. i also know piano and cello although not as well.

Apr 16, 07 7:49 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

I used to play the Mouth organ ( harmonica) when I was a kid.

cannot play as well nowadays (one of the wonderful results of being a chain smoker .)

Apr 16, 07 8:54 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i play things too...
i started with piano when i was really little because i idolized billy joel. I switched to guitar when i first heard weezer's album pinkerton and have tried to branch out since...
i can play piano guitar clarinet and accordian decently, i can kind of play violin, though mine is broken. i own a bell set and an autoharp which i also play on occaision, and have used in a song or two.

ive written and recorded a bunch of crap, but anyone interested can find it here

Apr 16, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

hey lletdownl nice motion picture soundtrack cover (with third verse :thumbsup:) good layering of the bells/accordian/guitar

Apr 16, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i'm a beginning guitar player (started in february) and i already have 3 guitars!

i first got a steel string ibanez acoustic electric

then i just had to get a yamaha classical guitar that was on sale

now, i need to take an old kramer electric that i found @ my cousin's house to get re-strung!

what fun!!!

Apr 16, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

but lletdownl have you covered let down?

Apr 16, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
i.g.lu.s.

i was a percussionist / music major for the first two years of college, I have been playing since 6th grade,...
I still love music, but since I decided to go the architecture route, my musical skills have been slowly diminishing ever since. (a not so good violinist plays in the background)

Apr 16, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

hey ramos! thank you very much!

ive played let down for years as it is one of my favorite songs of all time but i havent yet covered it.

maybe someday i will do it.

i used to play 'thinking about you' ... thats a beautiful radiohead song also underloved

Apr 16, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

j you should start a ska band. or a big band. trombones are essential in both. waaa waaaa waaaaaaa....

Apr 16, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

OldFogey -- no, i'm in los angeles, but my band played columbus and dayton a bunch of times on various tours...andyman's treehouse, bernie's distillery, elbo's etc. i dig ohio and ohio seemed to dig us.

Apr 16, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

is there anyone in chicago looking to sell an instrument? im always interested in picking up new ones...

woodwinds? strings? keyboards? percusion? ... a rhodes?

Apr 17, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
bronson, architect/assassin

for me, there is a very primal, instinctual enjoyment to be found in percussive actions. banging out, you know? hitting stuff.
I am not very good, but I keep a drumset in the garage for therapy-through-thrashing sessions.
And I see a deep relationship between music and architecture; think of all the ideas/words they share; and all the major avant-garde eras that bequeathed world-changing music + architecture.

Apr 18, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: