Archinect
anchor

New Changing Trends in Architecture in the 21st Century

Transparence

What are the new changing trends in Architecture in the 21st Century? Share your views.

Aug 26, 12 8:03 am
RH-Arch

Is this for a paper or your own personal interest? You should also give a little more information and context for people on such a vague question.

Aug 26, 12 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Transparence-y

Aug 26, 12 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

Material or ideological? 

Aug 26, 12 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

literally, and phenomenologically

Aug 26, 12 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

bomb shelters and prisons

Aug 26, 12 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"bomb shelters and prisons"

don't forget churches.

Aug 26, 12 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

oh yeah churches too.  Hmmmm that gives me a great idea.....How about bombshelter churches with built in fast food courts and jail cells!  It's all about hybrid programs dude.

Aug 26, 12 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

sounds like a boondoggle which is trending this early 21st century

Aug 27, 12 12:13 am  · 
 · 
backbay

am i the only one that thinks 3d technology (as in the no-glasses 3d tv displays) could hugely impact architecture?  weightless 3d objects anyone???

Aug 27, 12 1:05 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

a lot of what architects do revolves around building the sorts of buildings that people can occupy in some way.  a 3d object that is projected from a tv screen (or holodeck or whatever) can't really be occupied because it's just an image.  video game designers are more likely to be designing those types of environments.  unless you're referring to designing the wall that said tv is mounted to, and perhaps calling out fire retardant treated blocking

Aug 27, 12 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

there's a lot of occupied space that you never touch though.  for example, just look UP in a cathedral.  nobody interacts with it, but there's a lot of design going on up there, not just for structural purposes.  think of what they could do with large arenas or stores and such where the ceiling is boring and just serves to keep the roof up.  especially in circumstances where tenants change regularly, 3d projections could serve a purpose.  very superficial and not really reality or a true expression of structure or whatever, but its just a thought.

i don't know, i guess its just a silly science fiction thought i've always held.

Aug 27, 12 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

there was an artist years ago that would project people talking, babbling, crying, sometimes screaming onto doll faces.  it was freaky, man (and i can't believe i can't find videos of it).  any1 know what i'm writin' 'bout?

it sort of looked like the robots in that thrill smith movie i, roboto but this guy was doing this in the early/mid 90's (so 21st century, go!)

Aug 28, 12 12:27 am  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

I remember seeing some installations like that at the Chicago Cultural Center about four or five years ago in February or March.

Aug 28, 12 12:31 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

do you remember le artiste's name?  cause the google done goin' not know-where with all these generic terms 'camera doll artist projection faces blah blah blub ..' i can't stand it, no!

prolly the creepiest art i've seen that wasn't just creepy to be creepy and it made great use of transparence-y

it very much had this effect:

like some brancusi head all flat and smooth that had come to life

Aug 28, 12 1:33 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Tony Oursler?

Aug 28, 12 3:33 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

¥€$ !!

thank you, a-f

Aug 28, 12 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: