Archinect
anchor

Be careful with that revision cloud

Medit

what do you think? real or fake (3dSMx+Phtshp)?

Apr 13, 07 10:36 am
Medit

oops..

Apr 13, 07 10:37 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

good fake

Apr 13, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Medit

so it's more a digital creation from some kind of cadmonkey, Gordon Matta-Clark fan rather than a bad builder? .. I thought it looked real at first but the shadows and sharpness on top look a little bit different from the rest

Apr 13, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 

fake. Notice the shadow coming off of the near side of the 'cloud', and landing on.... nothing! If they'd have chilled out on the photoshop, I might've believed it.

Apr 13, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Medit

yes that's what I think... and if that shadow was landing on the ceiling of the floor above it would have to be much smaller, right?

someone says in another board that the pic is actually upside down and the shadow is landing on the -much nearer- wall below... that would make sense:

Apr 13, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 
orEqual

Looks real to me. Someone just used a concrete corer to make a large hole in the surface. The weird shadow is from the camera flash. Why would someone fake this?

Apr 13, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Medit

just for fun.. it looks like an AutoCAD revision cloud.. something like those stairs - http://www.archinect.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=19

Apr 13, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
4arch

if that stair was really the result of that plan then the contractor was just being a real ass.

there is something in that plan detail reminds me of my first boss though. whenever someone didn't trim out the lines of the stair treads as they crossed under the handrail he'd instantly spot it and hold it up and say "I guess you're putting one of those fancy clear glass handrails on this stair, huh?"

Apr 13, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
KEG

I once had a call from a client who went into a copy room that had just been painted and found that the 8.5x11 paper taped to the wall(that said "please close copier cover") had been painted around. They even painted around the masking tape- oh so carefully! So she took off the paper to reveal the wall color below in the shape of the paper and tape and she saved the piece of paper for me to see...

she didn't see the humor in it, but I had to laugh...

Apr 13, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

looks like they will be running a duct through the slab. the color difference looks like moisture - not shadows... why they cored the hole versus diamond saw??? m

Apr 13, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
knock

thats one of the few brilliant things about vectorworks ... you just lay the solid "rectangle" on top of those stairs, and voila, you don't even have to trim those stairs.

Apr 13, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 

It does make more sense the way Medit posted it. The first post made me think that someone had shaded it in two different ways, unsuccessfully. Turn it upside down, and I get the same reading that treekiller does, of one of those being moisture and the other being a shadow. That shadow still seems far to precise to me, but I guess it's possible.

Apr 13, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

totally a fake. where's the rebar/deck/etc. if it's a slab?

Apr 13, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

it looks fake to me, not because of the shadow, but rather because of the line where the vertical surfaces of the cored out section meets the ground plane. it just looks way too sharp.

Apr 13, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl
Apr 13, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

looks like sand below to me..

the line is a bit sharp..but if the sand or whatever is right below the
slab there wouldn't be a shadow there.

and the shadow is totally believeable as a picture from a digital
camera with a flash..seems like a corecut through a slab on grade.
and there's moisture on the bottom of the slab.

Apr 13, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

The surface that can be seen through the hole is coplanar with the surface that has the exposed brick. Come on!

Apr 13, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

It's a core for a rectangular duct through an exisitng concrete slab - likely a High-Rise Condo Bldg Bathroom or kitchen exhaust duct. Very Very common. The perfect surface above is likely a sheet of cement board someone laid over the hole so someone would not fall through it....

Apr 13, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i think larslarson got it.

Apr 13, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

This is like Archinect:CSI!!!

(slowly peeling off my RayBan Aviators, looking into the hole, and in my smokiest David Caruso voice):

Judging from the masonry, it looks like an old building - slabs were often unreinforced w/ bar or mesh.

The slab is wet from the core-driller (notice the milky splatter on the concrete beam beyond and surrounding the opening). I don't think it's sand because it looks bone dry (it would be wet like the slab). I think Poczatek's on the right track - it's a hole in a ceiling with some kind of temporary panel over it...

They used a core driller instead of a saw because a core driller wouldn't create insider corners = cracking.

Apr 13, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thank you Inspector dml955i for your wicked sharp insight (put your aviators back on now...).

At least that's the way I'm leaning too, and the splatter pattern seems to justify it - the mortar between the bricks looks like it got wet too - but how to account for only the UPPER half of the core edges being wet?

Apr 13, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aaaah - because they drilled it from above. Of course.

Apr 13, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I got it...I got it.
Core through slab on Grade, as Lars had pointed out. (only if orientation is correct in more recent Cris post) The grey Matter is sitting water mixed with concrete dust, giving it an opaque, near perfect texture. The darker area around the perimeter is water wicking up from the pooling water into the concrete slab. My final prognosis is that this is a core made for a sump-pump to be infilled after sump pan is in-place. This is likely an new underpinned foundation under an exisitng masonry foundation wall. The deeper basement is taking ground water, hence introduction of sump. It is definitely a combination of old and new work based on the presence of new concrete and old common brick...If not, I'll stick with my first post, and the grey surface is a sheet of Gypsum wallboard over the hole if the picture is inverted.
Will the real photographer help us out? I cant get anything done until I know!!!

Apr 13, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

this is fun!!!

Apr 13, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

with no reinforcing or deck it seems like it has to be slab on grade; reinforced concrete goes back to the early twentieth century. i can't believe the building is older than that. besides wouldn't the tensile forces collapse the slab if it were column supported rather than on grade?

the thing that's bugging me is who would ever pour a slab on grade with brick masonry construction? the foundation wall in most parts of the country would have to be at least 3'-6" below grade. maybe poczatek is onto something with the sump, but it doesn't seem like the most obvious answer. i'm stumped.

Apr 13, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Poczatek - I have no idea who the photographer is, I'll have to ask..

this thing comes from an architecture forum in Spain... someone posted this pic because of the funny resemblance with the CAD revision cloud... the whole conspiracy thread (is it real or fake/upside down or not/what is that wet thing) was collectively developed later by a bunch of architects having a slow day... ;) - http://www.soloarquitectura.com/foros/showthread.php?t=15079
.. and since we weren't sure about it I brought the question to the almighty Archinect.

someone there also said that the sharp shadow is projected on some kind of panel above the hole (considering the first pic as the one with the correct orientation), .. I guess that having a very similar greyish color as the concrete wall it may seem that it's the ceiling of the floor above (or the wall below for the upside version)... --- which is what Poczatek and Sherlock-dml955i were aiming to...

I'm gonna ask the guy who posted it where did he find the pic (apparently he's not the author since he was also speculating about if it was real or not) .. so maybe the pic comes from other forums/blogs in the internet..

.. more theories/speculations will be well welcomed!

Apr 13, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

There are no shoe prints around this freshly-cored hole, as there surely would be if it were oriented as in Cris' post....definitely a shot up at a ceiling. The downward splatter on the wall is definitely from the spinning coring bit penetrating from above. The concrete is definitely fresh, poured recently without having been blocked-out for this penetration....the contractor was pissed-off they had to come back and do this, so he/she took a picture of it. (After all, who takes pictures of cores unless there's a story behind it - and no one doctors photos of such) The red brick wall was not built up to the new concrete beam, but rather the beam was poured on top of an existing wall. Note concrete conforms to all of the intracacies of the brick profile, as it would only if poured after, from above. The picture was taken very recently after the coring, hence the still-saturated concrete. This is possibly a new concrete roof deck with penetration made for duct to a rootop unit. The material used to cover the hole is likely a layer of PolyIso Insulation board laid down quickly to proceed with delayed roofing work.
Construction Forensics is fun.

Apr 13, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

And lift it onto the roof with a helicopter!......

Apr 13, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Poczatek - the original pic was posted by a portuguese member from the PPB forums here: http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5906

which also features this other one (and, though even more absurd, I know this one is real):

Apr 14, 07 5:12 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Medit, that is completely, totally, awesome.

Apr 14, 07 5:22 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Agreed, Fogey - I really enjoyed this thread/investigation!

Apr 14, 07 9:44 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I worked on a project where the contractor had mis located an foundation anchor bolt. So as the project progressed, the bolt remained sticking out of the floor about 6" from and exterior wall
sorta in a corner. The contractor was building out the shell of the building and he was in partnership with my boss on the building.
So it goes I ask the job super...to cut it off flush with the floor. Well it never happened. It was written up in every job report, but someone always dropped the ball. So when the Space is leased a different contractor is highered to do the buildout, and our office is
doing the construction administration. So I mention to their site guy, that he should saw the bolt flush with the floor....and once again it
never happens. So were getting down to the end of the project, things are a little crazy, with a guy hanging wall paper in a two story
space, carpet going down, furniture arriving....you know all the ordinary crap that happens when there are to many queen bees and
not enough workers. I'm doing my final punch list for the project and I walk into the office with the anchor bolt and low and behold, the carpet layers just cut around the bolt and left it in place, just like it belonged there. It did prove for an entertaining conversation between the three owners of the building. One being a general contractor, the other my boss and the third (where the bolt was left exposed) the accountant.

Apr 14, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

looks real - projected view seems to show the ceiling on the floor above. The shadows are created by the flash, but that said it does look a little ps edited for "clarity"

Apr 14, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Fake. I understand the shadows are from a flash, but a flash projects light from a point (It's not the sun). These shadows look like the profile of the concrete edge simply copied in Photoshop. They should expand since they are further from the point of light.

Fake, but definitely an A+.

Apr 19, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Thats real and all people trying to nitpick it apart are strugglin' to come up with some hypertechy explanation.

Face it, if you were in Egypt, you'd be in DE'NILE

Apr 19, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

What about this one, real or, uh, really real?

Saw it on Pruned and it scared the crap out of me the instant I saw the scale of it. I suddenly feel very nervous about the ground beneath my feet and all.

Apr 23, 07 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
upside

I think its real, or at least the event really happened, I remember watching it on the news.

and the first image is real too, a few weeks ago the university installed new aircon and the cuts for the ducting looked the same, including the absence of reo, which I'm not sure about, but I think has something to do with pre-tensioning methods in the 60's, which used heavier bars on a wider spacing as opposed to the mesh used at the moment

Apr 23, 07 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

damn, makes you wonder what the revision was!

Apr 24, 07 8:31 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

LB

i think if you fall into a 300' sinkhole.. it was just 'your time'.

what i'd be interested in is...how does one fill that hole?.. lots
and lots of dirt?

Apr 24, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Here's some typical coring debris from my Jobsite - My boss took this beautiful photo this morning...doesn't it look like Roman Ruins?

May 31, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: