Archinect
anchor

Washington Arch Foundation: Architecture in the Schools

+i

for those of you in the DC area--- get involved with the washington architectural foundation's Architecture in the Schools program (volunteering to teach students about architecture for 1 day a week in an area school).

i just completed my first semester teaching students and it has been both challenging and rewarding. i taught at a low-income minority school in NE- and if you know anything about the DC school system you would know it is a disaster... but once some "inventive" teaching techniques came into play, these students have made a remarkable turnaround and have learned quite a bit about architecture--- they even made a portfolio + a final model (and no, not in kiddie modeling clay and construction paper, but instead with foamcore, matteboard, and basswood). they have a final student exhibition next week at the John A. Wilson Building on Pennsylvania Avenue + it's open to the public.

i would encourage any and every architect in the DC area to get involved in this opportunity- you will learn just as much as you give...

*if you want to check it out you can go to www.wafonline.org

Apr 12, 07 5:22 pm
some person

Thanks for making the city a better place, +i.

Apr 12, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
charlatan

That's really cool. Did you get any truly exceptional work out of your class(es)?

Apr 12, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
+i

Just an UPDATE:
the student exhibition was last night + it was fantastic! the students are very proud of their work and for 7th, 8th, and 9th graders they produced models that are better than some i have seen in m.arch programs... ha!

if you are in the area and want to see... it's in the atrium of the John A. Wilson building @ 1350 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Washington, DC 20004 (home of the mayor's offices)

Apr 19, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

thats really inspiring. i hope to get involved with something like that in the future. congrats to the kids and congrats on all your hard work too, +i...

Apr 19, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: