Archinect
anchor

city college nyc (ccny) for m.arch

long_div

hi!
has anyone been accepted? is anyone thinking of going? at this point, no program that ive been accepted to has really inspired me...so i am taking their offer very seriously...

thoughts?

Apr 11, 07 11:31 am
therpeuticlotion

michael sorkin is at ccny.

Apr 11, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
long_div

yea, hes in the urban planning dept...not arch. thanks.

Apr 11, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

hey, i got in there last year, but didn't go...

i kinda regret it, it seems like a really amazing opportunity (small program) and i liked the work i saw when i visited. i ended up a little scared of the size and newness etc. i didn't really know much about andrew zago when i was trying to decide whether to go (he's directs the march program) since then, i've seen more of his work (realized or not) and wish i had an opportunity to learn from him.

Apr 11, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

This is only secondhand information that I've heard from others, but it seems like CCNY's M.Arch. program is off to a strong start under Andrew Zago. I also understand that CCNY happens to share a lot of faculty with Columbia University and the other NYC-area architecture programs. If you're a New York state resident, CCNY's tuition is cheap as dirt.

The biggest drawbacks to the program seem to involve limited facilities and technology, and the million layers of administrative bullshit that seem typical with any big city public university. I think I remember hearing that CCNY's architecture department will soon be moving into a new space on campus, but I could be wrong about that.

I'll most likely be applying there next year.

Apr 11, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
long_div

all those rumors are true, i actually went to visit a month ago. other thing is its not accredited...

any other thoughts?

Apr 11, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

I go to City undergrad. I applied for grad and got in...but it isn't accredited so I don't think I'll go. They have great faculty and i think it is a respectable program.

Apr 11, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

As for their accreditation status, their M.Arch. program has been granted candidacy status by NAAB this year, which is the precursor to becoming fully accredited.

Apr 11, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Smoke Porterhouse

Thought I'd revive this thread.

Anyone else considering CCNY?

I'll be visiting in the next couple weeks. The program sounds very underrated with Andrew Zago at the helm, the small size, and the very affordable in-state tuition.

What's the catch?

Not yet accredited? Poor facilities?

Sep 18, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

what did you find out?

May 27, 08 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
joben

I heard Andrew Zago went back to Detroit... will the program be lacking significantly because of his absence now?

May 11, 09 12:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: