Archinect
anchor

Any UCLA phd students??

mac+an

I am a possible prospective student for UCLA. I would be very happy if I can meet any UCLA phd students here. I am in the decision of goign and not-going. I received a fellowship but still need to pay my non-resident tuition. I am confused about paying a tuition. Is it like this in most of the phd programmes in US or is it UCLA?

Apr 11, 07 10:49 am
mac+an

thank you tumbleweed for your reply. If I can make it, we might meet there.In state tuition seems more affordable.

But I was wondering if there is a way that they pay the whole costs of a phd.. Because I have many friends from other disciplines that go to US schools on full scholarships..
Is it a policy of UCLA for foreign tuition or is it like this with all the schools?

Apr 11, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
guppy

mac+an
It sounds like you are a foreign student. I would check first to see if you could ever be eligible for in-state tuition on a student visa. It may be possible, but I'd be skeptical about counting on it. PhD's in architecture are relatively rare and there are only a hand full of places where you can get one. It's true that in, say, the humanities it is common practice to provide a full tuition waiver and a living stipend, but I'm not sure if this is as common in architecture. It's a lot cheaper to run a literature department than an Architecture school, and if you are only admitting 6 students a year to your PhD. literature program its probably a little easier to find funding for them, whereas an architecture school has multiple degree programs, high overhead because of equipment, etc, and many dozens more students to deal with.

Apr 11, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

if i were you, i'd speak to someone in the admissions department. you're wasting your time here, if you expect an answer to those questions!

Apr 11, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
mac+an

Guppy, yes that might be the reason..It was a valuable insight for me, thank you..
I am a foreigner and will try to check for the in-state tuition thing.. But you are probably right in considering the costs and number of students..

Apr 11, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

A PhD student at USC here, though I did do a masters at UCLA, where I learned:

UCLA is a state school, which often means that funding for students is less than that for private universities in general. Combine this with the fact that architecture is a terribly underfunded academic field, and this explains the disparity between what you've been offered and what your friends in other disciplines are getting.

I agree with the others here that you should keep talking to the admissions folks at UCLA. There very well may be more funding available if you tell them that you can't afford to attend without it; you'll never know unless you ask. Don't forget: academic departments need talented doctoral students as much as the students need the department. If they accepted you and made you an offer, they want you to choose them. Keep that in mind as you probe (politely) for the possibility of more funding.

Good luck!

Apr 11, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
parametricboy

Are there any current UCLA M.A./Ph.D. students out there who have any insight on the likelihood of getting any funding?

I'm considering UCLA's program, but I got a more substantial offer elsewhere. Are ther any assurances of receiving funding for all five years?

Apr 16, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: