Archinect
anchor

How much time is spent working in studio vs. working at home?

supersupao

this question is geared towards current grad students

i am wondering how much of your school work can be done at home?
or do the majority of students typically spend their entire time working in studio at school?

Though my preference is to work in my own apt, I just dont know if this is realistic or not?

Or maybe certain types of projects/tasks can be done at home while others can not? Whats a rough % estimate of that split?

Trying to factor space needs/ config for new apt.
thanks!

Apr 10, 07 4:12 pm
Sarah Hamilton

I always found that working in studio created better projects. Whether it was becuase you could bounce ideas off of your peers and get mini crits, or becuase there were less distractions, I do not know. But the students who worked from home in MY design classes almost always had less developed projects.

Besides, working in the studio helps to create a certain bond that you won't get just in class. Its like a special club. Anyone else feel that way?

Apr 10, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

I'm with Sarah when i was in grad school and undergrad for that matter the stuff done in studio was always better developed, and I've noticed the same with students now when i sit on jurys too

Apr 10, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

This is a response from undergrad experience, but I think it's an important consideration: even when there weren't other people working in studio, so I didn't feel like going in (hmm, I could sit by myself here at home, or sit by myself in studio...), I always ended up building models in studio. So even if you are a real home-body, I'd say maximum 50% at home; drawings at home, models in studio. They don't transport well, for one thing, and for another you don't want to mess up your home with all theose little scrap slivers of chipboard and foamcare, and toxic fumes.

Apr 10, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I totally agree. Do your work in studio. You will get way more done and have way better projects. The interaction with your classmates is priceless and you will learn a ton from them. The kids in my undergrad that worked from home almost always had half-assed projects.

Apr 10, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

There's something to be said for the focus you can get when you're working at home alone, but in my opinion, especially at undergrad level, there's a lot more to be said for immersing yourself in the chaos, interruptions, and mess of studio.

Apr 10, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if i was doing the grad school thing again. i would have given my cat to my roomate when i moved and just bought a sleeping bag, and lived in the school for a semester. particularly since i was there all the damned time anyway.

Apr 10, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

Vado, that is a serious consideration in my selection of an apartment. When am I even going to be there?

Apr 10, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

In my (industrial design) undergrad, I'd have to agree. I don't remember making any significant work at home.

As I enter M.Arch this year, however, we'll see how that turns out. My home studio will be as well-stocked in most areas as most school modelmaking shops. At home, I won't have to wait my turn for the bandsaw, for example, and I'll have more dedicated space to myself.

I figure it'll be about 50/50 for me, all things considered, based on past experience and better time management and work skills that I've picked up since graduating a few years ago.

Apr 10, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
wintergreen

Not a hard question, you pay a lot of money to go to school. If you want to get the most out of your money there is no way you would consider working at home.

Apr 10, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
jackalope

I spend almost all my time in studio, but it tough to read with much activity going on, so I've been reading in the library or at home.

I treat my studio space the same as my office when I was working. Its got a desktop, printer, supplies, food, coat rack, and plenty of chains and cable to keep things from walking off.

Apr 10, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
bfunk

although i got an A on every project my first year in BARCH undergrad, i actually got a B in my first year design class for not being in studio enough. at the time i had no idea it mattered so much to the school, but i soon realized it made a BIG difference to most everyone.

Apr 17, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: