Archinect
anchor

Architects Struggling???

Enigmatic Mind

So I am reading Archinect like a daily newspaper, and I can't help but see how many people say they are struggling with finances in Arch. I understand it's all about the passion and I am all for it, it's my passion as well, but why all this school and money, and not a happy career??? Have some of ya'll settled for something else, besides an architect??? Anyone happier in another country?????

Apr 10, 07 8:42 am
justavisual

i'm not sure that architects actually struggle more than other professionals. you're just seeing a concentrated amount of complaints on this site, specifically in certain threads.

money (and the pursuit of it) will never keep me from being an architect.

Apr 10, 07 8:48 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

During a trip to my parent's house I found the copy of The Fountainhead my good friend and classmate gave me in school. The dedication he wrote on the front page is: "On your 20th birthday, remember this: it's great to be a Fountainhead, but Peter Keating sure knew how to party!"

Of course Peter Keating was also an architect, so I guess he had it both ways.

Apr 10, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

sure i have been struggling, but only because i have bean strugling, hustling, thuggin it for-ever.

Apr 10, 07 9:02 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

when i'm feeling low in the office, i often daydream about how great mike brady had it: the huge suburban house, the beautiful wife, the six kids, the housekeeper, the fabulous vacations (think hawaii, disneyland). it's the little things that keep you going in this dog-eat-dog profession.

Apr 10, 07 9:21 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

yes.....tis true, there are the low points. i guess all those moments are washed away when you meet someone that is surprised to hear you are an architect, and truly appreciates what you do (as well as respects you/looks up to you). It's not about self promotion or even ego boosts, but about appreciation from others and recognition (at least for me it is).

Apr 10, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
med.

I got over the Brady Bunch thing eventually. It wasn't too long until I started daydreaming about being Paul Newman as an architect reading electrical diagrams on the 79th floor of the building I designed before comming home to my hot wife played by Fay Dunnaway in the Towering Inferno.

Apr 10, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 

Oddly I only sided with Stanley Kracklite in "Belly of an Architect" - especially using his face & thorax to redesign the mercedes parked below the Roman streets

Apr 10, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

that's a good one, archmed. if only i worked in an office like that with orange shag carpetting.

Apr 10, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 
med.

I'm guessing if they re-release that movie on blue ray, we would start seeing many more graduate thesis projects employing the same design. 70s and 80s clothing styles have been back in so why not 70s and 80s interiors?

Apr 10, 07 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

we so got off topic. lol

Apr 10, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

I mean ya'll got off topic.

Apr 10, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

Texas accent, sorry.

Apr 10, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Okay, enigmatic mind, you will only struggle if you set yourself up for a stuggle. Otherwise, you'll be just fine. Anyone can struggle making any amount of money. It just depends on how responsible you are about finances.

Apr 10, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

are we off topic?

one of my favorite parts of catcher in the rye is when holden has to give a speech for this public speaking class and everytime he goes off-topic, someone in the class yells, "digression!!!" it happens over and over, but holden can't understand what they are talking about, because everything he is saying makes perfectly logical sense to him.

DIGRESSION!!!

okay, back to struggling architects...

Apr 10, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I'm only struggling to get enough sleep. I don't worry about the money too much.

Apr 10, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: