Archinect
anchor

life after nu

suwatch

I don't know if there are any Northeastern students on the boards but I've just been thinking lately about what I'm going to do after I graduate [with a BS in arch].

For some people working for a few years before grad school to figure things out is the right way to go. For others, going straight to grad school will be ideal. I've heard from both ends of the spectrum and I think I fall somewhere in between.

For those that don't know, NU has a required co-op program where students intern for 6 months at a time. Architecture students do 3 of these resulting in roughly 1.5-2 years of cumulative experience.

Anyways, at first I thought that I would work a few yrs after I graduate to figure out what I want to do in the future. However, now that I think about it, I've already done this through my co-ops. I worked for a small "boutique" firm in Boston for my first and second and right now I'm working in a 75+ corporate firm for my third. Through this range of experience I've figured out that I don't want to work in a corporate firm doing retail stores for the rest of my life.

To make a long story short, my current dilemma [not really that bad, just what I've been thinking about] is whether I should work a few more years or try to get into grad school right away. The potential benefit of working first is that I would be able to pay off some loans, meet new and interesting people, and gain even more experience so that I can further refine my goals. As for going to grad school, it would just mean being done with school at an earlier age and that I would still be in "school mode" for the start of grad school.

I know I wrote a lot...please try not to hate on me, I just would like to know what you guys think of my situation.

Thanks!

P.S. I know NU has a 1 yr m.arch and I've thought about if its worth it or not. However, the program just doesn't align with my goals so even though I would come out with an m.arch, I wouldn't learn as much as I would like to.

Apr 9, 07 5:00 pm
JMBarquero/squirrelly

well first off you indicated that your current Uni only has (or that you will be graduating with) a bs in arch, not a b.arch. This is pivotal because with the bs arch, you are not even ready to qualify for IDP, hence you would have to do a 2-4 yr m.arch (depending on where you go).

So have you considered these issues, at all first and foremost? The meaning behind these issues is whether you wish to be licensed or not. I am sure you are bright enough, or have read enough threads on this topic.

Just something to chew on.

Apr 9, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Tony Snow

That's not true - NCARB says training units may be earned after the third year of a four-year preprofessional degree (IDP Guidelines page 11). It may vary by state whether they'll accept that.

And who is going to require someone with a BS Arch to go 4 years for a MArch? It is 2 - 2 1/2 years.

Apr 9, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
jackalope

How is the program at NU? How long has that been around? How would it compare to WIT?

I was seriously considering their M.Arch program, but I got an offer I could refuse down south.

Would love to hear about how NU architecture facilities are and how it compares to the other Boston schools. What building are you in? I am slightly familiar with campus.

Apr 9, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
jackalope

correction...offer I could NOT refuse...

Apr 9, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Needlebeam

That undergrad program is a "4" component of a "4+2" program. So this person should be able to start counting IDP experience after completion of the 3rd year of the undergrad program.
Unless you do decide to do that 1-year thing, grad school anywhere else would presumably take 2 to 3.5 years (because some schools don't grant advanced standing regardless of undergrad degree).
I guess it depends on your goals and finances... have you considered just working for one year in between undergrad and grad? That seems to be a very popular path.

Apr 9, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

in response to Jank....see Needlebeam's reply (with regards to the 2-3.5 yrs) Mine was more broad (since I siad 2-4 yrs. Most of us that have been on the 'boards' have seen these kinds of thread Jank, so it may have been a generalization and oversight on my part, no need to get snippy.

Additionally, as what needlebeam as stated, the IDP credits (per your observation of IDP guidelines, pg 11; has to do with "an undergrad program that is a 4/component of 4+2. Again, this is the particulars and conditions that aren't always covered.

Apr 9, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
suwatch

sweet! i got responses. jk.

anyways...

IDP, yes I've thought about and looked into it. I'm actually eligible to be earning hours right now but I'm a slacker. One of the perks of working in a corporate firm is that they help you out with this kind of stuff. A couple weeks back the IDP coordinator of MA came in and gave a presentation that I had already heard before. I asked him a few questions to clear things up. Basically, as long as I plan to get an m.arch somewhere I can start logging hours right now at my co-op. It also helps that the firm I'm working at is the first "intern-friendly" firm in Boston(I think?).

In terms of the program at NU, I would say it's growing. It's definitely a good option because of its location and co-op. The faculty is very young but for the most part they're pretty good. I can't really speak for all because I've only had a handful of them. It has been particularly tough for my year [class of 2008] because we were the first class to be on semesters. So basically every year I've been hear has been some sort of transition year. For example, my first year we didn't have studio space [only first years] and we had little to no guidance on purchase of tools and materials, we complained so much that the year after us got studio space and did a group order through the school for supplies [lucky bastards]. Currently our studio space is under a train station. It's cool when you first visit but then when you're actually in there and hear/feel the train above you every 15 or so minutes it gets old. Digital facilities are limited to a couple plotters and a laser cutter, pretty standard...but nothing to really spur experimentation with materials. Let's see what else...study abroad. We used to have a study abroad program in Florence at Sacci(sp?). That program was supposedly not really about architecture. Now [my year was the first, of course] we have a study abroad program in Roma at the American Institute for Roman Culture. 1 semester, very busy but very awesome. I absolutely loved it and I really did not want to come back. Oh, and it just recently became "Northeastern University School of Architecture." Last year I think. Before it was just a department off the School of Arts and Sciences.

That's all I've got for now, if anyone wants to know anything specific about NU feel free to ask.

Thanks again for responses.

Now it's time for a run. I wish spring would come already...I'm sick of the cold.

Apr 9, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: