Archinect
anchor

Scholarships and Assistantships in the AA

bleu

Anyone have any information about Scholarships and Assistantships in the UK?I have been accepted into the AA for the Histories and Theories program and am currently in the US.
I am not an American citizen too...very complicated.

Any ideas?

Also while we are on the topic, has anyone here graduated from the histories and theories program?
What do you think?

Apr 8, 07 11:25 pm
LaBoule

Are you french? I mean your nick seems french. I would be interesting how you get to the US before going to Englend!

Apr 9, 07 8:23 am  · 
 · 
TED

just my observations from being there - not in hist theory but took lots of course work with them. mariana is very very good[she did her phd at penn] + nice - mark is fine - a bit too decon for my taste.

generally with all the 1+ year master programs at the AA i only knew 1 person that got a partial bursey [1/3rd] and he was one of the only few brits in the whole of grad school - as he wasnt an architect or didnt have other brilliant bits - i would say he got it because he was a lone brit in a pool of internationals.

most of the scholarships go to dip/intermediate and foundation students with many more brits and who are there year to year.

i dont know of any assistanships at all - only a few [3] phd students who are not in their first year teach a hist theory to undergrads. there are about 40 phd students - the majority doing a history + theory phd so they will get first pick'ns as they at the aa for at least 3 years ft. no one will let you teach if they dont know you academically. the design studio [dip + int] generally have 2 tutors [plus engineers] to no more than 10-12 students so doesnt warrant nor do they have extras.

you might have a chance if you were presently in the school doing a dip and they knew your work but little hopes otherwise.

people went outside the school to get funding before they got to school. - i knew 2 persons that got company sponsorship back at their countries and it appeared a couple of chinese i knew got government sponsorship.

if your a eu - you might have considered the bartlett or another uk h+t as the fees for you per year is about 4k sterling v. 14k sterling. or you should have looked perhaps into a fulbright or maybe the marshall scholarships - but if your not US dont know if you could get that award. no matter what the web sites say - you can still apply to all of the uk schools even now for the fall - but scholarship applications generally went in march / april 1.

basically everyone at the AA is in the same boat. lots of very talented people but assume you are more or less selffunded.

i would write to mariana first - she's more likely to return email - but dont count on it.

Apr 9, 07 9:25 am  · 
 · 
ooid

Assistantships, pay you about 6 pounds for an hour..It may be in exhibition, reception or library...Its not as easy actually, cuz in the begining of the year, loads of grad. students do apply for that and AA is a small school, there is not a proper job for everyone..I dont know about H&T time schedule but mostly graduate programs are very intense and your schedule might not fit the asistansthip or any part-time job..

I have no idea about AA' scholarship but mostly people here as TED says, find their financial funding from their own countries before coming(loan,charities, etc)..

Apr 9, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
bleu

Thanks for the responses.
if I cannot get together my funds for this year i was thinking of deferring my admissions for the next year?

thoughts? Is that acceptable in UK Schools?

Apr 9, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
TED

i actually dont even consider the 6 sterling jobs at the aa assistantships - somehow the 36 quid / week i got barely supported my couple of nights at the pub [3 quid / pint] the best jobs at the lib again go to the phd students. i consider assistantships having some teaching component in exchange for reduced tuition. also if you need a student visa you are technically only allowed to work 20 hr / week. but if you spend all that money to go to the aa you need to be able to do that FULL time - its really a tough competitive environment -

i am very impressed with the bart hist + theory - they have both a MA and MArch which as a studio component. the number of books publish THIS year by the H+T profs at bartlett probably outnumber the AA h+T for the last 5 years - it has a strong cultural theory grounding. bartlett research

you have to figure out what you want to do and where you want to be after you finish that degree. i think bartlett faculty in h+t much better connected in uk institutions [museums + mags and such]

if you want to teach H+T in the uk - you really MUST to get a phd - that is for all practicality the min qualifications - then where you go to school for your masters you are best to consider the masters+phd option and work with that school[better chance to get fully funding for your phd]. various individuals at the aa may do a monograph or a have a major theme in an AD - but thats not the 'academic' writing that comes out of the rest of the uk schools.

teaching[full time] in the univeristy system of uk demands that you write and seek funding sources - the class system in the uk steps in - teaching at what was polytechques in the uk is probably more possible - however dont really look to see H+t at these schools - they have a bigger 'science' component [such as building technology] and generally few people write and publish at these settings. publishing as an academic may be 2 articles [peer reviewed] / per year. so its not easy stuff.

both aa + bartlett H+T courses are about 12-15 students - you can do the bartlett part time over two years [while you work]

if you are only going to come to london to do the course and go wherever - spend the money and go to the aa - and make certian you experience the whole school not just h+t --its an amazing place

both schools have electonic versions of course briefs so you should look for youself which follow your interest.

look for [proper]univisities in the uk for good h+t courses and stay away from places which were converted poly's.

you might look here at hero

Apr 9, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: