Archinect
anchor

undergrad: USC vs University of Minnesota

gabriellap

I am trying to choose between the two schools and I was wondering if anyone had any input. I currently live in Minnesota but I want to live and work in California. However I would be in huge debt if I chose USC and I was just wondering if anyone had advice.

Apr 8, 07 11:03 pm

here's the thing about this sort of question: you are the only one here who knows whether you can afford USC. We can't help you figure that out. If you can afford USC, go there. If not, then it's U of M.

So pretend that I've said you should go to USC, no matter what it takes. Now think about the reaction that caused in you.

Then pretend that I've said that USC isn't worth the money at all. Think about the reaction you have to that.

See if one of those reactions isn't stronger than the other, and whether that tells you something about your own feelings.

Apr 8, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
gabriellap

forget anything i said about the money and say that id come out of both schools with the same amount of money in my bank account... does one school give me a better advantage?

Apr 8, 07 11:53 pm  · 
 · 

Yes. Particularly since you would like to live and work in California in the future, the connections that USC provides are an amazing resource.

I don't really know much about U of M, but graduated from SC in '05 and can attest to it being a very solid program that benefits greatly from its location.

Apr 8, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
olaf

I second the advice from rationalist about USC – especially if you want to live and work in California. I actually have degrees from both schools (USC undergrad “urban planning and development” / U of M grad “Landscape Architecture”) - from MN originally.

Secondly, within the design field I always believe its good to “get away” and the break mold from which you come. Going away (really to any school) will expose you to “new” things (physically, culturally, environmentally, etc.). You will be learn more than just stuff taught in the classrooms all while drawing upon your Minnesota experiences...ultimately pushing/shaping you as a designer.

Apr 9, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: