Archinect
anchor

Your 1st Job

sheri25

What was your first job after you graduated?

Apr 8, 07 7:53 pm

BA - with an Interior Designer for 3 months
MArch - at my alumni lecturing to the grad students on integrated design | management

Apr 8, 07 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
n_

intern architect + graphic designer at a firm in china

Apr 8, 07 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
n_

oh, i should add this: i hated it. absolutely loathed it.

Apr 8, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

built a house for one of my professors...I worked in school, though

Apr 8, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
sheri25

I got an intern position to work for this very well known photographer, am I wasting my time? just graduated, got my BA in ID. I have never worked before, this is my 1st job.

Apr 9, 07 1:47 am  · 
 · 
1deviantC

worked at morgan stanley as a financial advisor... IT SUCKED BALLS!

Apr 9, 07 2:35 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

quiznos, oh wait, is this supposed to be after college?

Apr 9, 07 2:39 am  · 
 · 
alex_ian

webdesign actually... coding is a lot like detailing...

Apr 9, 07 9:52 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

you know, Cad Monkey

Apr 9, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

intern at a mid-sized arch/eng firm. Had a cube in the interiors dept so nobody knew I was an arch intern and got asked several questions about carpet and tile.

Apr 9, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

undergrad - not really since I went straight into m.arch, but worked during school: Intern (in the truest sense) running the print room, smelling that wonderful aroma from the blue lines. (I am sure I killed some braincells doing that).

grad - worked in spain, small studio, theoretical work that was translated (in some cases almost literally) into built form. Interesting nonetheless.

Apr 9, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis
Apr 9, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

THE DAY AFTER I GRADUATED(NYiT) I WALKED OUT ON MY CAD MONKEY JOB, STRAPPED ON MY TOOL BELT AND INSTALLED 70K WORTH OF pv'S FOR THE 1ST 2 MNTHS OF SUMMER...THE LAST MONTH OF SUMMER I DROVE AROUND THE COUNTRY LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME AND A NEW JOB...FOUND EM, FOUND EM...SO NOW HERE I AM - LIVING IN sf - WORKIN IN BERKELEY FOR THE SICKEST ARCHITECTURE FIRM I HAVE WORKED FOR THUS FAR.

Apr 9, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Katze
Apr 9, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

Intern at a small firm that does medium work for poor, stubborn clients. Within a few months also added asst. Cad Administrator to the title, and am basically Head Intern.

Apr 9, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

In a very difficult job market, I landed a position with a small residential firm. I found in my first 2 days on the job that it was run by evangelicals who liked to pipe in their christian music on the speakers, frowned on headphones, and were content to work on 7-year-old software and even older computers. I lasted 2 weeks before I accepted another job....

Apr 9, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

Tenant development for an interiors firm. If I ever have to calculate usable square footage vs. rentable square footage again I'll end up going postal.

Rationalist you just described my current job. Ugh I can't wait for grad school.

Apr 9, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
AP

first full-time job after graduation: 6 month gig as "creative director" for a island resort development project. interesting work, very loose schedule (something like 10:30 or so until 6 or 7, depending). long lunches. interview began at the office and quickly moved to a bar for happy hour and dinner. weekly bar outings with boss and co-workers.

branded the project (and the LLC created for it), consulted with a web design and marketing firm to create the website for the project, created renderings and plans, blablabla. wrote and edited copy for the website. fun, but aspects of the job got really old. thankfully it was meant to be a short term assignment. once i finished my responsibilities i was welcomed to stay and transition into other roles, but opted to leave for real architectural experience...

Apr 9, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
toms

i am graduating in may and moving to arizona to begin an unpaid internship at arcosanti, hoping to be employed there after the internship ends. The last thing i want to do is sit on a computer all day. I am working at school now running lazer cutters and the 3dprinter.

Apr 9, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

why would you be an unpaid intern?

Apr 9, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

will you be at arcosanti for the poetry slam Toms ?

Apr 9, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
toms

cpnorris- they offer 12 week internships that inters actually have to pay for (basically for room and board on site). The purpose is to orient new interns to the arcology theory and soleri's vision for the place, as well as day to day regimen out there. After the 12 weeks im hoping to be paid (minially).
But to directly answer your question- I would do the internship because i would rather work for someone (or something at this point) who is creating unique architecture and learn (like an apprentace) instead of being paid to do CAD work all day for several years.

Jonas77- i will not be there for the slam, i graduate on the 10th of may and have work in boulder all summer. I don't plan on being out there untill September 2.

Apr 10, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
jones

Worked construction renovating a 13,000 sq. ft. schoolhouse into apts. in the middle of nowhere Mississippi. Summer w/out ac in Mississippi working construction = good tasting beer at the end of a workday! That was a great summer.

Apr 10, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I work as a CAD Monkey for manufactured homes builder....before starting school.

Apr 10, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

now I Work for an ESD/ MEP consulting engineer firm...as a CAD GORRILA and I am in my first year of a 4+3

Apr 10, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

worked during school at a local hack firm cranking out rite aid drawing sets (mainly just changing the title bar info) at the rate of about 1 a day... absolutely awful.

just before it wiped out my passion for architecture got into an internship at starchitect's office before graduation.

Apr 10, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
not without

after my b.s.: working in a shoe store (near suicide)
after my m.a.: working in a book store (near suicide)
after my m.arch: working in a big ny firm (near suicide)
...help

Apr 10, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
kaizen

I graduated into a pretty terrible job market with my BA. It took me 4 months to land my first job. It was in a pretty crappy water-proofing firm that mostly did building envelope details.

Somehow I ended up getting sucked into CAD management. After about 4 months there, I ended up with the lofty title of CAD manager...the least competent CAD manager on the face of the planet, I'm sure.

I was tasked with updating all the CAD software to AutoCAD 2006, which was no easy task for someone like me. It took about three months of rigorous research, reading technical manuals, and making phone calls to our software dealer before I finally figured the whole thing out and finished the install.

Once that was done, I realized I had been pigeon-holed and quickly quit the firm to get some real architecture experience. One of the best decisions I've made!

Apr 10, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
archMONSTER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_4mZiD_NUk
Apr 10, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

beer

Apr 10, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

im still at my first job after graduation but im at a good firm in chicago... not getting paid that well but then again, what kids do less than a year after B.Arch is done...
im happy with my job though, and i do interesting work...

my friends at the firm across the river get beer time on friday and im infinitely jealous... lord knows that could NEVER happen here... thats a big drawback

Apr 10, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

NOT WITHOUT ... YOU SHOULD JUMP OFF THE VERIZANO WITH ALL THAT EDUACATION AND NO STEADY JOB

Apr 10, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

My first job was pretty cool. I worked at a very small NYC firm and got to do a little bit of everything. And yes, we had beer!

Apr 11, 07 8:43 am  · 
 · 
J3

I've been working since I was 14...so there is not much of a first job, unless you count bagging groceries as a job...
there were boundaries (paper of plastic) there are objects and space...problem solving (do I put the can in first, or the eggs...) structural issues...(both envelope, and weight)...

Apr 11, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

FIRST POST OF THE THREAD IS "What was your first job after you graduated?" NOT WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST JOB!

Apr 11, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: