Archinect
anchor

East vs West for undergrad arch program

txarch18

I have been admitted to both USC and Syracuse's School of Architrecture. Besides the rankings, I know absolutely nothing else about the two schools. I'm at the point where all I have to do is just make a decision but wanted some input from those out there in the arch field. Please give me your honest opinions and any information that you may have.

Apr 8, 07 2:32 pm
swisscardlite

both have good architecture programs. USC's location is nice because it is in LA and many architects reside in that area. USC also has a new dean from China so that may be a big influence to the program as well.

syracuse isn't that great of a city but there seems to be a lot of great students there. they also have a study abroad program in florence in the 4th (?) year.

Apr 8, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

if you know nothing about them, THEN WHY DID YOU APPLY???????

at this point in the game, you're supposed know everything about the schools you applied to.

that you don't means that you're not ready for grad school. Go away and comeback when you are.

Apr 8, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well the rythym guitarist from the legendary indiana punk/garage band from the 70's, vado retro teaches english at syracuse. so i would go there.

Apr 8, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
txarch18

Maybe I should'nt have said that I know NOTHING about the schools. I know all the printed information but haven't talked to anyone from either schools.

Apr 8, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
publix

txarch...it all depends on where you want to be after you graduate since most employers will be more familiar with the school in their respective geographic areas = USC...west coast and SU...east coast.

Apr 8, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
publix

forgot to add that I'm a SU alum but I have worked at offices on the west coast...so this might negate what i just said

Apr 8, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
drizzler

One great thing about Los Angeles at the moment, is that there is a lot of architectural work being done in the city. This means it is fairly easy to get a job right now, which will help you out when you try to get a summer internship while a student. Something to consider besides just the quality comparison of the schools themselves...

Apr 9, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

are they pre-professional 4 year programs? if so I think that whichever is cheaper because you will be going to get an M.Arch anyways. Also look at the universities as a whole... you will be taking classes outside of architecture so make sure the rest of the Uni is what you are looking for

Apr 9, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 

USC is a B.Arch, not a pre-professional, so disregard the previous statement for that one at least.

What exactly do you want to know? I graduated from USC in '05, but frankly don't feel like spouting off random information. Ask questions that are more specific than "give me any information you have" to get me started, because I've got too much information to know where to start.

Apr 9, 07 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
txarch18

The decision that I have to make revolves around money. I really don't have cash to visit these two schools. I have a full tuition scholarship to SU and a equivalent grant for one year only to attend USC. I really want to make the best decision without having money dictate to me what I really should end up doing. This is my dilemma.

Apr 10, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
but what is it about the schools you want to know that you don't already?
Apr 10, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Are you from Texas? If so, I would think going to Syracuse would be a more shockingly different experience than going to SoCal, in a good way.

To me one of the great reasons to go to college is to go AWAY to college, to try a new geographic location for a set number of years, to broaden your horizons via cultural change in addition to the learning you are doing in the academic program. The full tuition then also seems like a great deal.

And Syracuse's Florence program is the best, yes? It was when I was in undergrad.

Apr 10, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 
txarch18

Are the study abroad programs included in the regular tuition? Does one have to compete at USC to particiipate? Can the two schools be distinguished in regards to the foreign study? Also if all things are equal what would be the one distinctive characteristic that would put one school over the other in your opinion?

Apr 10, 07 12:09 am  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

have you sent emails to the two school about these questions regarding tuition and study abroad?

Apr 10, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 

The study abroad programs are not included in the regular tuition, but I was told when I was in school that they are of comparable cost. Yes, one has to compete to participate in study abroad at USC. There are three study abroad programs - Spring in Como, Italy, Summer in Kuala Lampur (I probably butchered the spelling on that), and Fall in Saintes, France. They also went to Paris once as a trial, and I believe they're trying to set up a more permanent program in Paris so that more people can go on study abroad.

I know nothing about Syracuse.... the distinguishing characteristics of USC, in my mind are: excellent connections, a very advantageous location, and a well-balanced program that does not shove either extreme unneccesary engineering classes nor crazy blobitecture down one's throat, but provides a solid well-rounded education with opportunities via elective classes to explore further either technical or theoretical avenues as the student desires.

Apr 10, 07 12:16 am  · 
 · 
txarch18

Of course, I have. I'm trying to get the people pulse as opposed to the marketing campaign of the schools. In other words I'm trying to get both subjective and objective input for this great decision that I have to make real soo?

Apr 10, 07 12:23 am  · 
 · 
number6

a full ride to syracuse is pretty rare. when i did the b-arch, nobody had a deal like that. its a great undergrad program, and the school seems to be on the rise since mark robbins became dean. USC is a great school, and is in a much more lovely setting. but, with a deal like that, i can't see turning syracuse down.

Apr 10, 07 7:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: