Archinect
anchor

dutch architect goes NYC

piet5bvg

Hi,

I am a dutch architect with a 5 years of working experience at several offices in Holland. I have worked on all kinds projects, widely varying in scale and programme. I think now is the time to try to work in completely another archi-culture. A trip to NYC a year ago really fascinated me. Therefore sending my portfolio to some well known NYC offices would be step 1.

Or isn't it?

Still got some questions. Is it hard to get a job in the US as a foreigner? Is it possible to make a reasonable living? Is it easy to get an okay apartment? Does anybody has had a similar experience? Hope somebody can help out.

Apr 8, 07 9:30 am
nonarchitect

If you've worked for a starchitect while in holland then you have a pretty good chance of getting hired.As for reasonable living ? you would need to ask for abt 50K a year before taxes, which with 5 years experience should be reasonable... my first step would be to establish some personal contact with people in these firms..now you would need an H1B for long term work, but since you are european you can kind of work illegally for a few months before you convince one to "sponsor" you. sponsorship will cost a firm between $1500-$2500 plus abt $2000 in lawyer's fee.

Apr 11, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: