Archinect
anchor

unpaid internships II

resincake

can we make a list of those that don't pay their student interns? this could be valuable info for many. i specifically need to know about ds+r. please let me know (email if you like) and thank you in advance.

Apr 8, 07 3:19 am

i was kindly offered nothing at JDS(PLOT) in Copenhagen

Apr 8, 07 4:23 am  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

How about asking: Which professors pay (at least something) to their student interns?
I'll start:
We currently don't teach but have students come in who we used to TA in the past or know from reviews etc...
We do pay around $14 to 18 $ depending on technical level. I have never believed in no compensation system even though I have to admit I worked for free back in the day for Enric Miralles in Barcelona.
(No regrets ; )

Apr 9, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

haha! That's $14 - $18 per hr.

Apr 9, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
surface

This is obviously different from working as an "architectural intern" but I had to do an unpaid internship as part of my graduation requirements at school. I did volunteer work for 2 nonprofit organizations. No regrets about volunteer interning because the work was, even if only in a small way, going to help the people who needed it more than I. However I don't think I would have such positive feelings about working for free at a for-profit place.

The main thing that irritates me is that I had to pay my school for that 2-credit internship, even though they were not expending resources to teach me, and I was working without being paid. If the credit money could've somehow been split amongst the nonprofits I volunteered for, or been used to pay my internship supervisors a bonus for monitoring my progress and giving me direction, I would be ok with that. But it doesn't work that way.

Apr 9, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

I've always wondered about that sort of thing... the school says "oh, you don't get paid, but you get credits for it, so it helps you!" Well, actually, if you're paying for those credits, and not being paid for the work, then you are in essence not just working for free, but paying someone else to work. Never been able to understand how that flies with so many people.

Apr 9, 07 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

you should probably ask those guys when you apply there

Apr 9, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
drizzler

I have a real problem with working for free, but I know it is a normal part of our architectural education. I've been offered several free (or extremely low paying) summer internships and turned them all down. However I have worked for free for several professors on a part time basis while in school. I tend to view that as a continuation of my education, and so long as the time commitments don't interfere too much with actual classes or paying jobs I don't have a problem with it.
I don't really like the idea of specifically calling out certain practices or people as being non-paying. If you find yourself in that situation, no one is forcing you to work for free, so you can either turn the offer down or negotiate for a higher wage. Too many students tend to place a high value on getting a "name" on their resume, and don't value their own skills and education enough to demand a fair compensation.

Apr 9, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
outed

and i think we're talking about two different kind of situations - one is academic, one is professional.

drizzler has it exactly right: no one is forcing you to work for free. period. if you want to work for ds+r soooooooooooo badly, and they don't have enough work to support a paying position for you, then it's your call as to whether you'll prostrate yourself to work there or not. but just because you want to work there, doesn't mean they have a paying job waiting...

Apr 9, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
resincake

i'm finding out that many european offices aren't paying their student interns. why is this? is it the idea that working is a necessary part of an european education -- even mandatory. my state-side perspective, which i share with many students i know is that we're great deals and any office should be happy to employ our cheap, willing and occasionally very capable selves.

May 5, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: