Archinect
anchor

MMFX Symposium in Indianapolis...any comments

spark

I just finished attending this symposium. Did anyone else and what are your comments?

Apr 7, 07 10:40 pm
vado retro

what the hell was it? i live in indy and never heard of it?

Apr 8, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

spark I'm sick that I missed it because I'm out of town - if no one responds, can you give us a rundown, please?

Apr 8, 07 1:05 am  · 
 · 
rush3943

I thought it was great! I particularly liked how they framed the academic work, calling it "basic research waiting for architectural implications". Sometimes I think students and faculty forget that writing a good script and milling it is dubiously spatial, at best! the LTL stuff was beautiful, as always. How about your thoughts?

Apr 8, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
rush3943

Oh sorry Vado Retro...it was called "Manufacturing Material Effects", hosted by ball state and the Indianapolis Museum of Art, two days of about 20 speakers from academia, practice, and the manufacturing industry that do digital fabrication, new materials investigations... basically excatly what the name implies. I'm from Ohio State, but heared about it through a Prof. that was going. So I have no Idea how much it was publicized.

Apr 8, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 
spark

vado,

Here's the link for the web site that Ball State had put together. I found out about it from a friend from Louisville. It wasn't really publicized in Indy very well. There were about 12 professionals from Indy there (five from our firm).

http://www.bsu.edu/imade/mmfx/main.html

The high points for me were the presentations by:
Chris Sharples, David Lewis, Donald Bates and Frank Barkow.

There was a lot of visually engaging work shown but for me, it seemed like a lot of, "See what I can do with my scripts" without much connection to the aims of the project. A lot of it was about the efforts to realize the architect's vision for the implementation of the technology rather the using the technology to directly address the client's imperatives or the environment.

Liberty Bell, I am happy to give a more complete rundown but it might need to involve beverages on a Friday afternoon...

Apr 9, 07 10:08 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have an unfinished script about this genius architect who is fighting against the system.

Apr 9, 07 10:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Love to, spark. GOOD FOR YOU taking your whole firm to the symposium! What an awesome place to work.

Apr 9, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: