Archinect
anchor

Souto de moura, Wang Shu, Glenn Murcutt, SANAA -vs- Foster, OMA, HdeM

ray-

For me, there are 2 different pole in 21 century of "starchitect"...The regionalism such as Murcutt, Wang  Shu,SANAA, Mendes da Rocha, Ando, Zumthor and the hightech such as BIG, Foster,OMA, Rogers,Hadid, Morphosis, etc

Which one is the best?

1. The regionalism one are more human scale, contextual, humble & poetic, strong identity but some people say is looked boring, there is no new idea, only architecture with nice material and light, and only small-medium size building

2. The hightech one are creative-innovative, iconic, but some people it's looked not contextual, large size architecture can placed anywhere/no identity, and only formalism..

Is there Great Architect that practice combine this 2 pole?? Maybe someone who has designed innovative skyscraper, or mixed use building with regionalism philoshopy, local material and identity..

Aug 19, 12 6:04 am
MR. Obsessive

i wonder about piano? and charles correa? maybe they have

Aug 19, 12 9:50 am  · 
 · 
MR. Obsessive

also maybe after sanaa built in new york they could be heading there soon... 

Aug 19, 12 9:54 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

yea, renzo piano for sure. i honestly can't think of any other firms with such large-scale projects that are truly 'contextual'.

Aug 19, 12 11:11 am  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

"Okay. But you're not listening to me. There are other things that need to be taken into account here, like the whole spectrum of human emotion. You can't just lump everything into these two categories and then just deny everything else."

Aug 19, 12 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

just place an X on the lifeline in the appropriate place, Rand.

Aug 19, 12 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

it's arguable that highly formal 'icons' are contextual in metropolises like shanghai, nyc, etc.

Aug 19, 12 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
ray-

This topic & 2 category  are only for a easy discussion  and not based on extensive research, so Rand H., do not be so serious ..hahaha
Btw Rand H., intotheloop, I dont know what you are talking about ...?

mmm, Renzo Piano .. yes it's ok, i forgot him ... hahaha Charles Correa, is he so famous as other architect Mentioned before that i have? Is there another one?

Aug 19, 12 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_puc8ojNctA

Aug 19, 12 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
ray-

*that i have mentioned before..

Aug 19, 12 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
ray-

Rand H. what is that link? Is there a connectivity with my topic???

Aug 19, 12 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

Its connected to what I and into the loop said, which is related to your oversimplification of architects.

Aug 19, 12 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
ray-

hei....Rand H. I'm not over-simplify  our profession, i'm a profesional architects and academician too in Singapore, not undergraduate student.  It's only for "easy discussion" about most style in world architecture...this is not seminar....don't be so serious... :)

Regionalism/Localism/Aga Khan Award is hot topic in Indonesia or Malaysia now, and otherwise many negative critique to architecture like BIG,Hadid did. Many famous architect in those 2 country say many contemporary world arhitecture now is only copy+paste and "software architecture". For east country that have rich culture, crafmanship, soul is very important in architecture and says large scale that many west architect did is bad architecture

I'm post this only want to know how's the opinion from other...

Aug 19, 12 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

I was wondering why you didn't unsderstand that reference, and I'm glad you aren't a student trying to get easy help on a paper (school did just start back here). High tech still may be a wrong classification for most that you mentioned. OMA is theory based design responsive to cultures/politics/etc, Zaha is parameter driven design done by fresh grads, BIG ironically got too big too fast and has become a machine, Rogers and maybe Mayne are the only "High Tech" of those. And I would even group SANAA with the latter group too, because to state that their designs are regionally influenced is a stretch since their actual buildings look like the realizations of architecture student projects.

Aug 20, 12 12:00 am  · 
 · 

Piano...

Rafael Moneo ??

Aug 20, 12 12:56 am  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

Agreed, Moneo needs to be on the list

Aug 20, 12 1:20 am  · 
 · 

sanaa is not like students, students are like sanaa.  Big difference.  Not a chance they are contextual though, if that is the idea?  not hi tech either.  they do something entirely different, coming from a particular history here in japan that no one really cares about. 

the over-simpli-vilification is missing too many categories to make useful discussion. 

Aug 20, 12 1:29 am  · 
 · 
ray-

Rand H.

Yes, i understand  ur reference,it will  there are many aspect to classification them seriously, but it's only about their style or vocabulary....the word "high-tech" is only general term that usually use in South east Asia to describe their style, ..., If u want me to more specific, I can say OMA is research/programming one, Zha with her organic,parametric design, Honesty of Structure and Utility of Rogers, Foster the rational one, REX the hyperrational one, BIG with playful and bold idea..., Mayne or Himelblau with their bravefuturistic shape... there will be divided again to more classification...but i'm sure all of their building must be built with "high technology" for sure, right?? If we look the the first group, generally they use simple structure to build, except SANNA Rolex.. The classification to this two group is like while we divide between "corporate architect" with "starchitect"

Just wonder, why u make this complicated and too serious with this and to discuss too deeply topic. Take easy bro, like the others, and i'm not angry like the teacher hahahaha.  But, escape from it all, i'm very appreciate your opinion, thx anyway

Aug 20, 12 1:36 am  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

I still believe you are letting the materials mislead you, many of the architectural aspect in the latter are still basic building methods just used in different ways, the environmental systems may be the only aspect that pertain to "high tech" and those are sometimes based regionally like Mayne and his california designs utuilizing environmental systems. Great things can be achieved through simple means, jsut look at Ned Kahn wind facades.

Aug 20, 12 1:48 am  · 
 · 
ray-

If we go to detail classification, it's too difficult, nobody is perfect some SANAA work is not contextual too, otherwise the Foster work isn't always high-tech. We can say SANAA work is more contextual because they can response the environment with local spirit&regionalism of japan minimalism, SANAA 's building are very simple (i know that is actually very complex and detail), their tranparent or maybe invicible (like their pupil work Junya Ishigami), Wang shu is contextual because they bring chinese crftmanship to his building. I'm sure if we only place wang shu or SANAA works at US city, it will be not contextual...

Aug 20, 12 1:57 am  · 
 · 
ray-

Maybe i forgot to say this too, high-tech is not only about structure but also about the software that they use...They research with ecotect. or other, BIM, make parametric form with grasshoper, Maya., They research how is wind power, how is solar heat. etc. In developing country like Malay, Indonesia, Brazil that things is high-tech u know...

Many of this program are not use by many famous architect like WangShu, Murcutt, Kevin Low, Francis Kere, they only use model, sketch, and intution to capture the environment..

I agree, Ned Kahn work is wonderful..

Aug 20, 12 2:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: