Archinect
anchor

sketchup to illustrator question

streamline.design

Hi All,
I would like to bring in from sketchup to illustrator a floor plan of a 3D model cut using the section plan tool in sketchup,so it looks like a birds eye view (with a perspective).

Each time I try exporting out and opening the dwg file in illustrator it brings it in flat not in 3D (no perspective) and no shadows.

I guess I could export out as an image file but I want to be able to have more control with line weight and shadows.

Thanks and any feed back would be appreciated! Have a great weekend y'all!

Apr 6, 07 7:54 pm
reveillette

try exporting to .eps format (under 2D image menu) and open the EPS with illustrator. eps format preserves vector paths but not scale.

Apr 6, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
streamline.design

Reveillette,

Thanks, it worked, although the shadows did not transfer over, but it is in perspective. Does it normally bring in the shadows? Thanks again!

Apr 6, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

try Rhinoceros inbetween it opens sketchup files and writes them too.

Apr 6, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
reveillette

no, eps is just for line work. illustrator has pretty limited shadow capability, so i'm not sure what you can do there. the only thing i can think of is to export a jpeg of the same view and use it as an underlay. if you use white buildings and a white background you may be able to set the image in multiply mode, making just the shadows visible.

Apr 7, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: