Archinect
anchor

summer job at a firm with no arch work experience?

kdollaghan

hey guys,
you're probably all sick of people asking your opinions about this stuff, i'll try to never do it again.
i'm entering graduate school this fall at either cornell or columbia, and i'd really like to get a summer job in dallas (where i'm spending the summer) that is somehow related to architecture (if possible, at a firm). my question is, do you think it's insane to inquire about a job when i don't have any formal experience in architecture (an internship at a product design studio, etc.etc.)? i obviously would explain my situation and just ask if i could do any kind of grunt work available just to get some exposure but...should i just get a job at whole foods and call it a day?
thanks in advance for any advice...really.
kelsey

Apr 6, 07 2:30 pm

just one bit: if you have trouble with architecture firms, try construction offices. It can be easier work to get, it pays better, and will make architecture firms want you more when you're done.

Apr 6, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
med.

kdollaghan, based on my experience, I just went into grad school with a fresh mind. Meaning all I did was just relax the entire summer before grad school. I found it to a better experience.

I found that many people who had job experience in architecture before actually being educated in architecture had a tougher time adjusting to design. I did, however work a summer internship after first year and it was pretty awesome. I agree with what someone else was saying, I would go for a type of construction job.

Just my take and good luck.

Apr 6, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: