Archinect
anchor

vectorworks...what the #*@%

betamax

this program is completely counter-intuitive to anything i have ever used. who uses it? comments/suggestions are welcome. The whole layer/class/sheet organization seems simple enough, especially for 2D work, then you try to actually model a slightly complex building with level changes within one flloor etc, and all that sense goes right out the window. granted I have only been working with the software for a couple weeks so I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt. I am also trying to model a project which is already done. CD's are out the door and the drawings are saved. the originators of the draing files have, unfortunately disregarded the organizational suggestions the application seems to make. therefore, everything is in one layer(not class), and split up randomly among the classes.

I refuse to knock the program completely on its ass because, as i mentioned, i am new to it and haven't given it a fair shake...however i would like some insight from anyone who uses it correctly and successfully in the hybrid environment it claims to have mastered. preferably having used it on more complex projects than something equal to the maison domino(e?). much appreciated.

Aug 12, 04 5:36 pm
mauOne™

i started out 2d CAD in VW when it was minicad 5 or 6, i started using it on a MAC, and i was not aware of ACAD, so my world was minicad, i remember i understood the logic of the program more or less like photoshop or the programs with "mac" philosophy if im allowed to say this, and it worked great.

I made my thesis project on vw8 and had lots and lots of info and had no trouble with it, its just another way to see the world, of course when i switched to ACAD for professional reasons (the market here has no room for VW) and i flipped 'cause the logic of autocad is very different

i used to use layers for say floor plan, L2, L3, L4 so all my lines for that floor are on one layer and you can superimpose and turn off a whole floor of a building, and classes for dimension styles or textures.

keep it up, you'll eventually get tha hang of it, its not that bad :o)

hope it helps

Aug 12, 04 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
FlowB

VW 3D modelling works great, but dont follow the manual's suggestions.

Do not use the wall tool, do not use the prefabricated doors and windows, and do not use layers.

The easiest way to model is to "build" everything using polygon extrustions and subtractions.

We use artlantis to render, so we use class distictions for the different materials.

VW is a quick and easy 3D modelling program which should be used only for things that it does well- no complex curves, blobs, etc..

i will try and post an image of VW/ Artlantis 3D modelling.

Aug 12, 04 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Ormolu

We use it for all our construction drawings and I'm fairly happy with it. On the installation CDs there are a few sample projects (I think they're in the "Resources" folder) and one is a complete residential set for a small 2-story house. If you really want to set up a completely 3D set this is a very good reference/example for doing that.

I don't use VectorWorks much for 3D. We do use the 3D walls, etc., but we tend to ignore the "heights" of everything and create the set with more of a 2D traditional working process. We work back and forth pretty seamlessly with FormZ for our serious 3D work and VectorWorks for construction drawings.

Aug 12, 04 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
gog

I'm a PC person. But the office in which I am currently working is Apple based. So I am forced to use vectorworks. I hate it. It's like drawing with one hand behind your back. yes, there are shortcuts, but there is no command line, something I use quite frequently with CAD.

Aug 12, 04 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

i'm taking all these comments w/ a grain of salt...presently i strongly agree with gog. the interface is mind numbingly frustrating. nothing seems very convenient. obviously i cannot give up on it, so i'll probbly get the hang of it in a week or so. i imagine it would be helpful if i should start a project from the beginning and follow it through. who knows.

Aug 13, 04 9:18 am  · 
 · 
amber01aggie

I'm just getting started and looking for help in understanding the interface coming from an Architectural Desktop background... what is the best resource?

Vectorworks for Windows and Macintosh: Visual QuickStart Guide? (is it really any good?)
Any other books?
Seminars?

Aug 24, 04 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Ormolu

There's a decent (but long) pdf "User's Guide" that comes with the software. That's worth going through, but perhaps not at the very beginning. There are also some sample projects that come on the software CD - those are definately helpful for figuring out how to set up the layers/classes.

Just keep in mind that "layers" as you know them in other CAD packages are "classes" in VectorWorks, whereas what VectorWorks terms "layers" are another way of sorting elements - usually by scale and/or by "model" vs. flat elements.

The Visual Quickstart guide is good for learning each and every tool, but it isn't great at teaching you to set up and manage whole projects.

Aug 24, 04 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
VanCity73

If you're coming from an Acad background, VW is a tough pill to swallow for the first few weeks. On average I've found that most of our staff that pick it up from Acad, hit the 9-12 week point in VW and say, "Ah, I get it!".

The interface is fairly customizable using File>Workspaces>Workspace Editor. Like any other program, throw the built-in standard setup out the window. I'd actually advise NOT to use the VW Architect version. Stick with the basic version (VW 11) and add-on Renderworks and customize all your symbols and cruise the web lookinf for developers plug-ins.

I could go on forever about how great I think it is, but then again I'd rather be out riding.

Aug 24, 04 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
arthurvandelay

i previously worked at a large aec firm which was windows/acad based. we used vectorworks for our conceptual design packages before transitioning to acad for working drawings.

Aug 25, 04 1:46 am  · 
 · 
joek

Maybe you are just experiencing problems with picking up a new piece of software. With time, you will learn to understand both ways of punching in commands and get you head set up to work with both AutoCAD and VW.

I use both depending on projects I am put to and although cross over is confusing, especially for the first hour or so after I have used one programme for a long time. You will get used to it though. You just have to relax and accept that it will take time to learn again - the most frustrating thought is "damn, if i was using 'x-software' I would have finished by now..." Don't make it harrder for yourself by getting pissed off with it.

Aug 26, 04 12:10 am  · 
 · 
PL

if you don't do 3d in VW, what will be the options for 3D modeling.
VW doesn't export lines created by 2D wall tool-I tried that in FormZ.
how do you get from 2D in VW to 3D. Sketch Up?

Jan 3, 05 1:54 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

VW does export all the cavity lines made with the 2d wall tool. We export/import to/from FormZ all the time and have no trouble with that (we usually export a .dwg) It doesn't export hatches or patterns as lines, but that's not generally a problem as you most likely wouldn't be modeling the hatch lines.

One thing that helps with exporting symbols, groups, etc.: explode the symbols, then repeatedly "ungroup" everything until there are no groups left, then save as .dwg or .dxf.

If you're just using the stuff as a 2D underlay in FormZ then import the .dwg, and before you do anything else select all the elements and use the "Join" command. This can take a couple minutes, but you only have to do it once.

Jan 3, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
PL

thanks

Jan 3, 05 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: