Archinect
anchor

Another Max Question...

doberman

Is there anyway to 'downsave' from max 6 to max 5? I know that max 5 does not read max 6 files (how stupid is that....) but i was wondering if there might be a piece of plug-in software that i don't know about that makes files from different versions of max cross readable? thanks for your help.

Aug 12, 04 5:18 pm
trace™

Nope. You have to export as a 3DS.

It sucks. Max is the only program I know of that makes things this difficult. Basically a scam to get you to keep upgrading, even if you don't need to.

Aug 12, 04 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Mission St.

hmmm.... i was under the impression that a *lot* of programs do this.

backaward compatability is the standard (newer versions of a program can read files created by recent older versions). *forward* compatability would, i imagine, be an incredible pain in the ass to implement.

i blame it on god. and/or because we experience time in a forward-linear fashion. ... think of it this way: what exactly will you be doing a month from now? that's difficult to anticipate in any kind of fine detail. but, what were you doing a month ago? that's (probably) much easier to define.

Aug 13, 04 1:08 am  · 
 · 
mbr

Nope. Photoshop will open an old PSD, Illustrator you can save to the version you want, Autocad you can save to the version you want, FormZ you can save to the version you want, Flash you can open any FLA, etc.

It's just one of the issues with Discreet (that and their pricing methods - much more than the competition to start, but cheap if you need or will use all of the features of Max).
Personally, I am considering alternatives to spending the upgrade cash.
It should be easy and forces entire offices to upgrade at once (less you have incompatible files within the same place).

Aug 13, 04 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: