Archinect
anchor

Anyone in Washington D.C. able to help?

med.

So I accepted a job offer in the D.C. area. The firm is located in Alexandria but I'm willing to move anywhere in the immediate area like in DC, Alexandria, Arlington, etc.

I'm sure you archinecters generally know what my financial situation is comming out of college.. you know, an income in the mid 40s, college debt, etc, etc. But I'm single, already own a car, and don't have any pets or anything.

So I was wondering where I could get a good affordable place like a condo or something like that. I'd like to be in a place where there are younger professions and such, and I'd like to be safe and vibrant and that sort of thing. should my income be sufficient to facilitate that kind of area? And if so, please give me some leads as to where those places would be and a price range of what I should expect.

Oh and this would be my first time living in a big city. I'll feel like such a hick, but it should be great. I'm really excited about it.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Apr 5, 07 12:36 pm
impalajunkie

Around here (NoVA/DC) the only places you'll find affordable townhomes/condos for purchase (affordable meaning $190-$250k) will be in low-income areas. The vibrant safe areas with younger professionals you're seeking would be Tysons Corner/Vienna or preferably Arlington, the Ballston/Clarendon area. I don't think I've seen places there for under $500-$700k.
I'm in Fairfax City, about 10-15 minutes West of Arlington/Alexandria, and 1 Bedroom/1Baths here start around $180k. This is just generally a very hard market for entry level people, pretty much everyone has to rent unless their getting help from their parents for down payments.

Affordable in this area usually mean commuting. Affordable places can be found past Loudoun Count to the west of DC (45 min-1.5hr drive), past Fredericksburg to the south (45min) and to north, the Baltimore area.

Don't drive on 95 between 7-10am or 3-8pm. 495 pretty much always has traffic. 66 is a hellhole. Welcome!

Apr 5, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Okay, I figured out my finances and I would be able to pay about $1000 to $1200 a month for a place. Can this get a nice place? And you're right, everyone is raving about arlington being the place.

Buying a place is not an option for me.

Apr 5, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

You might be best off looking for a roommate for a 2 or 3BR place. They're not going to be huge in Arlington but it's easy to find a well-kept one with up-to-date appliances and whatnot.
My cousin lives in Arlington, her rent for a 2BR/2Bath that's about 900 sq.ft. is around $2,000 without utilities.
Check craigslist.com for rooms available. Several other friends of mine rent the lower level of people's houses. Often the owners have little or no mortgage to cover since they've been here forever, so you can negotiate a fair rent with them.

Apr 5, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Definitely limit your search to spots inside the beltway. I've had friends that have rented places in Arlington, Clarendon, Ballston areas - somewhat walkable, definitely a younger crowd, close to bars & restaurants and Metro stops. Also try the East Falls Church area...

Since you'll be working in Alexandria, I would also give a look to the Van Dorn area...

Apr 5, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Thanks. My intentions are to stay within the beltway. I really did drive around the city quite a bit to study the places I would have the hardest time in terms of traffic and the main ones were like I-66 and that happened to be from Vienna to Alexandria.

Again I want to live within the Beltway at a nice, safe, clean, place that is within walking distance to bars and restaurants. I don't mind being in a highrise at all either. I really just want to find a one bedroom place (not an efficiency or a studio), but just a regular one bedroom condo of some sort.

Oh and even though I have a car, I am not at all adverse to being able to walk or take the metro to work.

Apr 5, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

What part of Alexandria are you working? If its old town area you can get a decent place (townhouse, etc.) for about 1000 a month. If its outside old town your options are mainly the high rise apartment buildings. I say take the metro as often as possible. I spent a year there without a car and had no problem getting anywhere.

Apr 5, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
med.

The office is in old town. It's right on Washington street. I'm not sure if that's considered old town but it looks all old and historic and stuff.

Either type of place is a good bet for me. Any decent suggestions? What type of place did you have?

Oh, I got this $100 parking ticket there about four years ago right by the national gallery and never paid for it. Do you think it's still on their record?

Apr 5, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

it will be when you register your vehicle or try to get a new license. chances are there is a bench warrant out on your ass...have fun.

Apr 5, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I'm not that worried about it. I just thought I'd have a little fun. Besides, my liscence plate has changed since then.

It was one of those 2 hour meter thingies and apparently I went over by a couple of minutes.

Apr 5, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

I had a basement efficiency for 950 including all utilities in old town. Right by the King st metro station is a high rise apt building. its about a 12-14 block walk to washington st. Call the local real estate/property management companies about openings. Craigslist is good also. FYI there's a great architecture program run by Virginia Tech right in old town. Its a center of about 150 undergrad and grad students from around the world that study there for a year. Great resource for events and checking out student projects. Its on the corner of Prince and Patrick st. Heres the website www.waac.vt.edu

Apr 5, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Thanks for the info ray. I just finished my m.arch but I'll definately have to check it out anyway. I know some of the faculty there at the Alexandria Center. I've spent a lot of time at the Virginia Tech main campus but I've never been to the Alexandria Center. I've heard great things about it though.

Apr 5, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

just took a spin through cragslist. looks like equivalent housing in d.c. is at least double as india-noplace and they din't even win the super bowl.

Apr 5, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I had a friend a number of years ago live in NW DC....with seven women roomates. The women in DC out number the men in DC by a big margin. So I would suggest looking for an ole Brownstone in NW DC filled with women working in Think Tanks, or some other branch of government.

Apr 6, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
some person

From what I've observed, living in the DC area can be a struggle for a single person making an architect's salary. Like others said above, you will most likely need to have a roommate if you only want to spend $1,000 to $1,200. My gut instinct says that your budget will not afford you a one bedroom in a nice part of town, without a roommate.

Areas south of Old Town beyond the beltway can be risky. Don't be fooled by their close proximity to your office. My husband and I had a very bad experience in a Route 1 apartment when we first moved to the area (our 1BR rent was $865 in 2001; do the math - you get what you pay for.)

We've been living in Arlington apartments since 2002 but have paid a premium to live in a generally safe, quiet, and convenient location. Even with our dual-income-no-kids status, it has still taken us five years to be able to afford to purchase our first condo.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to find good and reasonably priced accommodations; it just takes some good luck and determination.

Apr 7, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: