Archinect
anchor

penn vs. tulane vs. pratt vs. risd for MArch

long_div

ok, im desperate. take these and discuss...

im from nyc so dont really want to leave, though the opportunities in New Orleans now may be amazing (though i dont have time to visit!!).

going to penn's open house monday and visiting RISD tomorrow...

Apr 5, 07 11:04 am
lletdownl

go to IIT

Apr 5, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
long_div

hmm...that wasnt an option...!

Apr 5, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
TED

penn v turlane v pratt v risd v cornell v columbia v syracus v njit v yale v gsd v princeton v northwestern v uv v vip v uf v auburn v tuskeegee v ohio state v cini v georgia tech v miss state v okla v lvnu v sci arc v uc berk v ucla v uw v uo v montana v iit v wash u v uiuc v uic v saic v cooper v mich v ut v rice v .....

well thats the short list. i am really desperate and have no time even to look at the schools on line so could someone post utube videos, applications and also applicant statements. maybe then i can make a decision about where i want to spend 100k on my next education venture

thanks for reading my post!

Apr 5, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

I don't know Tulane's program but I know that Pratt can't hold a candle to Penn. The only good thing about Pratt, for me, is that it is in the city.

Apr 5, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 

my response for another tulane thread this a.m.:

at tulane you'll come out with an m.arch instead of a b.arch, you'll be exposed to both the lovely and unlovely aspects of post-katrina new orleans, and you'll be involved with a very energized group of people - both from tulane and those coming in from other schools for rebuilding studios.

it's an expensive school at face value, but they give incredible financial aid packages that often offset their higher costs.

unless they've changed their admissions policies significantly, it's fairly easy to get in. entry classes are large and they count on the fact that attrition happens in the first couple of years (which are appropriately tough).

the campus is lovely and wasn't much affected by the storms. new student center by vincent james associates is cool, as are the willow dorms by scogin elam.

i don't know about the other schools, but i'd recommend tulane to anyone, no reservations.

Apr 5, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 
long_div

yea, thats my feeling too, Buckity. I love that Pratt is in Brooklyn.

Apr 5, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
architorture

i went to tulane for my masters and did a stint at penn so i saw alot at both schools and can do a pretty good comparison/assesment and this was last year..so i'm "relatively" up to date on both schools...

it sort of depends
UPenn:
--if undergrad then go to penn--will have a really nice theoretical background for development into the graduate school mentality and understanding

if grad--go to penn but know this...the theory is so heavily pushed that you need to only apply to really theoretical firms post graduation...seriously...
there were students there--quite a few--with backgrounds other than arch that did not know how to build a model without a milling machine...that's kind of disturbing to me but i guess at that point you wouldn't be applying for a model making position...so at that point don't take my advice...
faculty is really accessible to students, got a little of the starchitect dust in my eyes but passed quickly...
that being said...the faculty was fantastic, the facilities were amazing, philly was great[but can never beat nyc]...i was there working on my thesis...

Tulane:
undergrad--5 yr masters...new orleans....enough said

it's a good school, they have good resources[very very little damage to arch school--roof on 5th floor only] they are doing really well with bringing in a couple of rotating faculty from LA & NYC[predock frane taught a studio while i was there--i'd have to ask my friends that took them what they thought of them in general]

they are really looking ahead by focusing a portion of the school to design/build but are still staying on top of the digital modeling, theoretical courses as well...it's a really well rounded school and the professors are really in touch with the students...many a party has faculty inovlved or invited.

unbeleivably great city. once you go you are hooked...trust me.

grad school--good experience all around...say hi to ila berman if you stop in...she's fantastic! 5'-0 never packed so much energy as it does in ila berman...AND she's the grad advisor/associate dean of the school.
reed kroloff[dean @ TSA]...meet him and form your own opinion, there are lovers there are haters, either way he is a dynamic wind in the school!

which one would i choose: penn or tulane...
i would choose each for different reasons: penn for the theory/facilities/connections; tulane for the city and the school, and almost as good connections;
they are about the same price...so that's pretty negligable...
it's a toss up for me...i was immensely lucky to get both!

and that's all i have to say about that...[hope this helped]

Apr 5, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Thank you Architorture! Your description of Penn is very concise and helpful. I'm deciding between a couple of schools right now and Penn is my top choice. With all of this Penn-bashing, I have been concerned- not to mention the cost (eek!)!!! I love the theory focus as it's what I want- so that excites me. Anyway, i can't wait to see it on Monday at the open house!

...now, lets just figure out how to pay for it....

Apr 6, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Go to ITT.

Apr 6, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
kpxkable

ITT for the win!

Apr 6, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

Go to Stevens.. its only across the Hudson.

Apr 6, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

word, monkeyboy

Apr 6, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

word

Apr 7, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: