what, are you trying the BAIT vindpust?

Apr 4, 07 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
atowle

Norman Foster has! here

Apr 5, 07 7:12 am  · 
 · 
snooker

mdler I was at the International Boat Show in Rio last year. There are some killer stinkpots out there.They are chick magnets as well....
seem like every boat had a half a dozen or so pretties...aboard.

Apr 5, 07 7:41 am  · 
 · 
cln1

Didnt Renzo design his boat? From what i remember it does not look any different than a typ. except for the patterning of the floor boards on the deck. I only saw one picture, many years ago, it may be on his website...

Apr 5, 07 8:18 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

If you want to prove your skills as boat designer then design a sail boat , don't just copy a trendy high freeboard cooktail pallas ,remember that it is what is bellow the water that make the ship, not the copyist digital foto of the freeboard, or an attitude that you just add a bigger engine ; from my point of view Foster's box look like something that is a miniature of a finland ferry something that is "designed" from an amaturs view that a boat is what is abowe the water , where a real boat designer first strive for years to just get an idea and a feel of what happen under the waterline when the boat sail ---That is boat design designing a sail not a clumpsy motor boat looking as shoebox , guess these fine architects simply must attemt just another robbery of some better designers bread .

Remember that the Cyber-Boat Longboat designs and design idears been copyied and "borrowed" since they was published in the 80' where the ocean racer boat designs was the complete opposite of the Cybe-Boat designs. --- Still today the Longboat designs are state of the art designs.

Check Cyber-Boat ;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cyber-Boat/

Apr 5, 07 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Nic Bailey

is a yacht/boat designer, as well as an architect. He's also worked with Cedric Price and Will Alsop in the past.

Apr 5, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
James Mayers

Aalto did..."nemo propheta im patria" think it was called - the boards didn't fit snugly...and it leaked....

Apr 5, 07 9:25 am  · 
 · 
French

louis kahn did one too, all made of iron, to host a permanent music show; the only time I saw it was on his son's movie "my father the architect" and I'd like to get more info about it actually...

Apr 5, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 

i agree with vindpust.

Apr 5, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Thanks -- I guess those day's are over, when a builder or designer from the lines, could decide if the boat was fast ,stable or just a boat --- the fine touch that deliver a hull that leave the water as if it was newer there , the beautifull shapes that any sailer would reconise as beauty they are not build anymore. And with them the knowleage , the thru decades build up skills ,the instant reconation is simply gone.

Now Cyber-Boat was simply tools handy for a builder ; unfolding of panels from a 3D model , the oppotunity to put together the sections the builder knew would make a spendid craft ,as many "ribs" digitised into the front view as polylines offering hands on delivery of the exact stability and draft magic owned by the experienced , and ontop a brand new rib system that solved all the trivial problems with independant frames or ribs asking a stringer system to build what 3D-H now offered without bending one single timber ; see that was Cyber-Boat. All software and the intire boat processed in a combination of tradisional fine crafts and modern technology ; still today that concept beat most competitors by being develobed by someone who acturly could build a boat and knew the problems.

Apr 5, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Early Cyber-Boat Longboat design 3D-H

Apr 5, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

my boat is gonna have lasers on it

Apr 5, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

that's a pretty sweet hull per.

Apr 5, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

you mean 'fricking lasers'?

Apr 5, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Thank's --- this particular design are offered in 5 ,7 and 12 meter ; basicly the same lines but as it don't work just to scale equaly the same basic design , then that asked software to scale with a factor for length , wide and draft seperatly , but I emagine there are newer any other that design, with a more massive stability , not only do the water tunnel each side of the keel producing vaccum bubbles and zero draft , ---- Now I newer got the chance to build that particular design, but I had two smaller , a 3.8 and a 5 meter build to test the main section stability and, as the only 5 meter dinghie in the world, this second prototype would carry more then tree men in one side ,without leaning in any dangouras angle others , say 99,9 pct other 5 meter small boats would capzise with tree grown up standing in one side of the boat. but here are the 7 meter Longboat , lapstrake build and at the time when I suddenly wondered , why not use a different frame system ;

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/7055/sscreen102od2.jpg

Apr 5, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

If you count the various Cyber-Boat designs you will find there are, many --- not only the fine lapstrake tradisional Longboat in wood but many several small boat designs all build, beside a few experimental build, where I don't know why I didn't publish pictures or plans of a number ,I guess there already was so much keeping a multible collection together that the main issues became design theori water-air and vaccum and their effect on a fast moving perfect arched hull and how a new structural system would open endless options --- the Longboat as an example, was by design an outher and an inner hull sort of sancwich --- a Solid structural rock the frame honeycomb structure, that ontop was subtracted for engine foundations ,tanks and trivial issues being an intergrated volume inside the frames , I later develobed it into a 17 and an 31 meter highly efficient design, based on the same lines but so much simpler by paneling and core structure, a rugid and not at all bad design that was as good as speed boat or as sail boat , you will se the develobment in some of these graphics ;

Apr 5, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Wow. More fancy graphics ala vindpust. 3D-H knows no bounds.

Apr 5, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

The Tsunami-Longboat was my last attemt with this design , what you see here is proberly the most efficient small ship ever , as published there are not indicated propultion but melted into the core framework or as wells for huge outboards, and also with an option for paralell drop keel arangement -- the basic hull design acturly enough for one man to project, when you think about it ; remember the panels do cover a real and wery accurate projected framework assembly structure -- beside I emagine ,it also are the cheapest one ever that size ,to build.

Apr 5, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

The most important thing about 3D-H is not the looks of the structure but the fact that everything now can be made from sheet materials and by computer. Not one single piece are bend, twisted or tortured by your demands the material do not resist you and, when this method will project this boat design with an unseen accurancy , then emagine how simple it will be, if you can find or produce sheet materials to even have such a vessel build on Mars, Emagine this develobed just a bit further, where a one function robot ANY size , prepare simple 3D-H sections in space if that is what you want , building anything with an unseen strength , now emagine a Mountain of money.

Apr 5, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

you should design a kayak.

Apr 5, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

"Mountain of money" ....hey I'm on board.....as long as it isn't a Ponzi Scheme....where do I sign up for the vind 3d-h section design course?

Apr 6, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Another thread tarnished...

Apr 6, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I just realized why vindpust hates bikes!!! You can't apply 3DH to the design!

Apr 6, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

garpike.....he also hate cows....cause you can't apply 3dh to cows....

Apr 6, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I dunno. I once saw a 3DH pig. Seriously.

Apr 6, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually ive done quite a bit of sailing/navigation and quite a bit of rocknanda rollin and this is ZeErEsUlT!!!

Apr 6, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
jsml

man is it bad that i completely scroll over anything that starts vindpust.. or has horrible flashing images?

but yes renzo piano did design a sail boat but it does look rather typical.
it is on his website. look for the dot in the middle of the Atlantic!! i wish there were some more details on it though.

architects in Italy seem to have a thing with boat design/making. i visited an architecture school in Rome and they had just finished building a sailboat and were heading out to test it out.

Apr 8, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Yes.. I'm doing that :-)

Oct 24, 13 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: