Archinect
anchor

Architecture or Medicine?

saradeegs

So its well known at the firm where I work that I am trying to decide between continuing on in architecture (getting and M.Arch and registered) and going to medical school. This is a decision I've been wrestling with for many years, and last night, as I was leaving, I told one of the architects I work with that I was thinking about foregoing medicine and sticking with architecture.

So today as I'm leaving, she tells me that she thinks I'm making a terrible mistake.

I have thought and thought about this, and done tons of research, and I have gotten nowhere, so I turn to you, archinectors. What the hell am I supposed to do, or, how the hell am I supposed to decide what to do??

Apr 4, 07 7:53 pm
med.

Tough decision... You'd probably obviously be good at both. It just really depends on what you have the passion to do your entire life.

My mom is a doctor and went through med school. She has practiced on and off over the past 20 years between teaching med school and practicing in private clinics. Based on her experiences, it's an extremely stressful and daunting field. Much of what she did was paperwork, deal with HMOs, deal with failed insurance claims, and see downright depressing and sad cases (death, disease, illness, hypochondriacs, and uncooperative people). She was more happy teaching and doing medical research, but that was her take on the matter. The money was always a good thing, but it seems like down the stretch that's all there was to it.

I hope that helps -- at least one side of the story.

I could never get into it cuz' it would gross me out. I wouldn't even be able to see a person get injected with a needle, let alone taking a needle.

Apr 4, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

why don't you want to continue architecture?

Apr 4, 07 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
saradeegs

Well for one, I don't love the idea of being at a desk, in front of a computer for most of my career. I see what the higher-ups in my firm do, and I have no desire to do it. I don't know that all the crappy jobs I'll have to have as an intern will be worth it in the end. (I suspect not)

Basically, I just don't know if I have the drive for it. I enjoy architecture, but I don't live and breath it.

Apr 4, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

If you don't like where the career's headed (as evidenced by not wanting to be your boss someday), why would you stick with it?

Apr 4, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

You should become a doc then hire me to design your house.

Apr 4, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

Medicine today is not what it once was. My father was a surgeon and my brother currently is one. If you don't like what you see your bosses doing, imagine them as doctors doing the same thing. Listen to Archmed. There's probably as much paper pushing in medicine as there is in architecture.

That said, both fields have people who manage to carve out a meaningful careers for themselves. Maybe the problem is your bosses are not the best people for you to model your future after. Changing careers may not be the answer. There are plenty of frustrated doctors. My father was lucky enough to work in private practice and I think he had a very rewarding career, but even he would offer a strong caveat to anyone thinking of pursuing medicine today.

Whether you switch careers or not, my advice would be to try to seek out people to work under who inspire you to some degree. Making a life you enjoy and find fulfilling is complicated no matter what you do for a living.

Apr 4, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I sincerely respect everyone that has posted for not saying something like "you'll make more money being a doctor, go for it!" I'll post something later when I think of something meaningful to add.

Apr 4, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

screw both and go for dentistry or pharmacy.

Apr 4, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

On a day off, which would you rather flip thru; a medical magazine or an architecture magazine?

Apr 4, 07 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

do you like medicine??? Why do you want to go to med school???

Doctors dont make as much $$$ as they used to (not that that is a driving factor), but just know what you are getting into. Like kristin_kai said, I would ask yourself what you would want to do on your days off (for fun) and try to determine what you would like to do from that... figure out what is is ABOUT a profession that would make you happy, not necessarily WHAT profession would make you happy, and go from there

Apr 4, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

regarding career paths, someone told me once
'Ask yourself a question - if you win a large 50m $ lottery, would you still go back to your day job?-If the answer is no, its probably worth quitting your job today. Life is too good a resource to waste'

Apr 4, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: