Archinect
anchor

Who did that wicked cool image

yeah, the one thats current in the unbuilt category. that's it, the panelized house one.
okay, well it was me and i'm shamelessly self-promoting myself here.
i just need an ego boost today.

Apr 4, 07 4:50 pm
won and done williams

pretty sweet, but what's the giant circle on the side of it?

Apr 4, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

it looks pretty nice. can't read anything though. i am wondering the same thing as jafidler, what's the circle cut out for?

Apr 4, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

that is a stand-in diagrammatic system through the panelized exterior wall that exhausts the bathroom and kitchen. plus it just looked kinda dope

Apr 4, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Its cool...

Apr 4, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

its very small but i can still see some glaring code violations...

Apr 4, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

vado

you suck

Apr 4, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

yeah, i didn't model the guardrail around the stair.
vado, you're an eagle eye.

Apr 4, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
njp

bobbi permanti?

Apr 4, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
sloring

how are you goign to run your plumbing and hvac?

Apr 4, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

pretty cool dude. i like the composition. however, i'm not sure about the green. part of me likes it, and part of me wishes it was monochromatic.

Apr 4, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

ventilation is through the operable windows and by stack effect through the stairwell, heating and plumbing are run as pex tubing through the panelized floor system. the idea being that the panelized floor system uses deep metal studs with a metal deck and plywood on top as a finish floor , the metal stud space allows connections to be made in the field that can be finished with a simple metal plate fastened at the face.

Apr 4, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
streamline.design

FutureBoy,
What program did you use for the renderings and for the diagrams? Are they from the same program? Great job!

Apr 4, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

yes, trusty microstation.
of course, i did radiosity renderings, then messed with them in photoshop. the diagrams were exported as hiddenlines then diagrammed overtop of in illustrator

Apr 4, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
streamline.design

Thanks,
I didn't know microstation has radiosity as its rendering engine. I'm stuck using Form Z and never learned how to use radiosity. I just use renderzone. That reminds me to post a thread asking for links on how to use radiosity. Thanks, and great board.

Apr 4, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i dint even see that. i was referring to section 704 in the ibc.

Apr 4, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

assuming those dark areas on the side and roof are glazing. cant tell for sure.

Apr 4, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

no, those are just a graphic...on the roof it's an air scoop. glazing is rendered as clear and only occurs at front and back.

Apr 4, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Don't let the Vin man get at it!

Apr 4, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh my bad. i thought those were windows/glazing/apertures/fenestration...never mind.

Apr 4, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

is that circle so the kids next door can throw rocks at you whilst "inside" your house?

And wtf does this mean, a more dynamic incorporation of the cars that typically adorn the street facade of most houses?

If we are dogging on you too much step away, cry and come back for more

Apr 4, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

btw I gave it a 5 because as an image its magnificent

Apr 4, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

thanks architechnophilia, i don't mind the dogging, i actually relish it...you do these things in a vacuum sometimes and i always like to hear what people read into/misread/etc. it helps me think about how to craft my images better in the future. the statement means that i didn't take long to write my image post, but i incorporated a car lift to fiit two cars into the space that is usually given to one...additionally it was an attempt to "artifact" the car by turning it into an active part of the house facade and by incorporating it into the interior.

as an aside i might add the green color was a blatant effort to brand the project, while the overall graphic quality is meant to recall instruction manuals of the 1950/60s. i was intentionally trying to go against the typical tendency of hyper-realistic renderings...towards something that is more about creating an experiential representation of both technical and formal concepts.

Apr 4, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i've got questions about the draped concrete... is that what it is?

Apr 4, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

didnt i see that car lift idea in a london house about ten years ago???

Apr 4, 07 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
dedubs

is that a folded ipod?

Apr 4, 07 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

vado, again you are astute...that is true. but hey, since when was it about being original...it's about being fun!

holz.box it is not draped concrete...i just didn't render the exterior as corrugated metal decking as intended (i wanted to keep it a bit more diagrammatic.

danny willis, it's not a folded ipod...although i like the allusion. i do enjoy listening to mine each morning.

Apr 4, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

so i just had my other image finally posted to the image gallery...it explains some aspects a bit better....

Apr 5, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

well now that I can see another view I have a few things to say | some of which I'm sure was said when this was presented.

You argument for the car lift seems unfounded as there appears to enough room to place the cars side by side. By alas techno suppose he chose this as a design issue ah then why aren't the adjacent spaces designed? Instead we've got a jammed breakfast nook begging for more whilst the living area is having a hard time dealing with its size.

I'm not sure what the original concept was...

Apr 6, 07 2:47 am  · 
 · 

btw is that a helipad on the roof? Is that a real cut-out...doesnt seem to read spatially

Apr 6, 07 2:48 am  · 
 · 
this link
Apr 6, 07 2:49 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

a coupla things-- 1. Space(E)- way you have that table/desk and chair configuration is unusable. 2. Room F on the car side of the house could be better if you moved the int. wall back to the stair and put the door in the corridor making Room F larger. The door in the center of the second room F in the middle of the room aint the best solution. Also, there aint any closets.

Apr 6, 07 9:03 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

you probably are not asking for all this advice. but i completely agree with archtech and vado. space e is unusable. i realize that the display of cars is a big part of the concept, but it seems like the space you would gain by not having the second floor lift would help your floor plan a ton. not to mention the expense of the lift. also where is your first floor plan? it would help to see that.

Apr 6, 07 9:23 am  · 
 · 
kyll
how are the kids going to enjoy it if they cant get in the bldg?

okay- bad ben stiller, but - how do you get in?

Apr 6, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?
The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!

Apr 6, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

yeah, i was meaning to stretch the breakfast nook to just be a counter in that location and forgot to do it yet.

as for the comments, yes...the car lift does impede into the second floor plan. that was part of the intent. the idea being if you remove the car you can develop the car's space as an exterior eating area.

the first floor plan was a bit dumb and didn't need to be presented (at least in these images). i guess i should state that this was all meant to be a quick idea board. approx. 40 hours of work.

Apr 6, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: