Archinect
anchor

Boutique hotels in Puerto Rico and the USVI

Hey all,

My finance and I are getting married next year and want to do a destination wedding in either Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands (passport issues). We've been doing searches and sending out inquires for quite some time now and have been very disappointed with the results. We want something that isn't cheesy and typically "Caribbean," but well-designed, modern, and kinda stylish. We unfortunately find a lot more of these types of places:

http://www.atlantis.com/flash.aspx
http://www.antillesresorts.com/jpegs/bb-sapphire-beach-2-suite-view1.jpg

than we do these types of places:

http://www.amanyara.com/jpgs/yara2.jpg

Oh, and we don't really want to pay, like, $10,000 a night. Ya know?

Any suggestions?

Apr 4, 07 2:30 pm
101W101

Go to St. John, USVI. I have traveled extensively in the Caribbean and St. John is the most amazing island I've been to. 60% of the island is a US National Park and all the beaches are free and beautiful. I can't say enough about it. I've visited St. John 4 times and I am going back in May.

As far as places to stay, the best hotel on St. John is the Caneel Bay Resort. It's authentic and amazing. Each room is situated in small, relatively isolated buildings along the shore. They are both simple and elegant. The resort is expensive but I would argue that it's totally both the money.

If you want a cheaper option, look into the Maho Bay Camps. They are simple but situated on a hill looking over an amazing view of Tortola and Virgin Gorda. They have both canvous tents and villas. I have stayed there before. I love it. The people who stay here are very pleasant and friendly. The prices are also very reasonable.

Good luck.

Apr 4, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Yeah the bad thing about home (Puerto Rico) is that it's full of cheesy type resorts. Gimme some time and I'll make ya a list of good ones. If you want PM me to remind me.

Apr 4, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks! I appreciate your responses. We definitely looked into Caneel Bay. Also, Hix Island House (to give you an idea of the non-cheese we're after). I haven't heard of Maho Bay. I'll have to check it out.

Apr 5, 07 11:52 am  · 
 · 

Jasoner are you fixed on PR or USVI?

Design hotels lists some of the worlds boutique hotels around the world, with a small amount in the Caribbean. It is not at all extensive but always a good place to start.

Apr 5, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i get to stay for free when i go to puerto rico. hooray for me.

Apr 5, 07 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

PR and USVI or anywhere else that doesn't require a passport. Some family members can't obtain one.

Apr 5, 07 11:28 pm  · 
 · 

I like that website, though. Right up there with Tablet Hotels. :)

Apr 5, 07 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

yea passports are important

my recommendation in PR would be El Convento though...very mod

Apr 6, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: