Archinect
anchor

"To be or not to be" ... Or are there chances to get empoyed for an international ?

Kirill P

Hi, my name is Kirill. I am 28, and I am already a practicing architect in Moscow,Russia.
I'm working here in this proffesion for 11 years (starting from a technical to an architect in chief (meanwhile).  I have realized several buildings as a chief architect, among them multistory living house with an underground parking, standing alone multistory parkings, individual living house, etc. As an architect in chief I/m working for 3-4 years. The firm where I work belongs to my father... Here in Russia there is a lot of architectural work actually.. Even at a glance if you'll take a look at the territory of our country you'll get the idea of what I'm talking about. The amount of "used' territory is seriosly small... But ... There are some reasons why I want to get educated in USA, and maybe try to get a job here, and in the further perspectuve - maybe try to move here and become a citizen at once. 
The reasons for this strange at the first glance decision as I said are plenty, it deservse another topic here on the Forum )). 

I'm curious to know are there any chances for me to pass to a postgraduate programm to one of the architectural schools in USA ? Preferly I'm looking on top-schools like Harvard, Columbia Unvr. in New York etc. The money for the entrance is not the biggest problem for me, the problem is a clear understanding is it perspective for me...

- I know that my 6-year of studies in Moscow's architectural institute with our Russian M.arch degree doesn't match M.Arch in the USA. Only as a Bachelor as far as I know...
- I know that if even I will pass somewhere I will probably start everything from the beginning .. I mean I will start over learning theory of architecture, practice in modelling, etc etc etc... Lectorials, "homework" and everything what I have forgot for years.. Everything that I was studying from 2000-2006, only in using my native russian language.

And I'm ready to do it, maybe, if not the periodical information that in your country there are problems with the employment in architectural sphere... Even for citizens. For me it means twice if not more harder efforts to get a job (even if I'll imagine that I graduated an architectural program in USA).

So the point of my question and the long pre-story above (I appologize if it was boring) - is it worth it ? Is my (crazy ?) dream sounds nonsense, or there are real chances to get well employed after taking the post-graduating program in USA (keeping in mind my good expereince in Russia in architecture... or no one would care ?) ?
Is it a real disaster on the "architectural market" of America, that there is no need in architects (because as I suppose - there is no need in new architecture perhaps ?) &

Thank you very much !

Aug 15, 12 12:39 pm
Sergo Antadze

With your Russian education you can be accepted in many US Grad schools, but I do not think you will learn more than you already know, if you can afford it, why not, it will be one more credit on your resume which will serve you well in future. Do not think that US education is any better than what you received in Moscow and do not believe anyone who says US building standards and codes are more strict then any ware else.

as of getting employed.........? many US architects are searching work overseas, in China, Russia or any ware, since their is not so much going on here.

if you go for grad school make sure it is accredited program so you can be licensed in US. 

Aug 16, 12 3:10 am  · 
 · 
Kirill P

Russian architectural education is not wide... It has no IDP (as you have as far as I know..). We had it in USSR but now everything is ruined. We have 2 stages of education at all:
- School
- Institute (college) - only theoretical knowlege, we have practice included in the architectural education program, but it's laughingly not serious. We have only 2-3 strong architectural schools in Russia only ! 
In your arch.schools the best world architects give lections. You have much more opportunities and a way wider range of educational possibilities in the USA.. The levels of the education are absolutely uncomparable believe me...
The question not in the education, but in chances for a foreighner to be hired in the USA, where as I see there are serious problems with work ... That's a pitty (

About standarts.. Yes the US standarts might not be the toughest (as far as I know our building standarts are very tough "on paper"), but in our country these standarts are not followed, the venality and the corruption is very high, and our standarts itself are absolutely absurd somewhere... We are building for about 3-4 years (I mean from the scratch - to the "ready to move in" building.. for example a multi-story living house..).
I think in your country these deadlines are much longer ... 

Aug 16, 12 3:29 am  · 
 · 
Maria M

Privet Kirill! ))
The construction industry in both USA and Europe is in a very bad state at the moment; but if you can afford to pay for the full time course in a good college then go ahead, this would be a very good time to retrain. Knowing a bit about Russian way of doing business I would say you would need to learn a lot and probably forget everything you learned in your home country. If I were you (a someone who seems to be free to move from country to country and has a bit of money) I would find out first which school would give the best chance of future employment, and then apply to see if you can get a degree and go for it. Good luck! ))

Sep 5, 12 6:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: