Archinect
anchor

ARB Prescribed Examinations Part 1 and 2

Javz

Hi..

I'm a graduate of Bachelor of Architecture which is a five year full time graduate professional degree from India. I'm a registered architect in India. I have around two years of professional work experience in India and in Hong Kong.

I'm planning to work in Hong Kong or in Asia for my future career prosepectus. My degree is not recognized by the Hong Kong Institute of Architects (HKIA) to qualify for the Professional Assessment (Examinations) to become a registered architect in Hong Kong. My architecture degree which I had finished in India is not recognized by Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) or the Commonwealth Association of Architects (CAA) as the degrees that are recognized by the two bodies, are recognized by the HKIA and those degrees which are recognized by the two bodies are internationally accredited.

First possible route is by writing the prescribed examinations ARB Part 1 and Part 2 individually at the ARB office in UK. I don't clearly understand the procedure involved. The other possible route is to go back to university which is accredited or recognized by the HKIA to study 2 years to qualify for the Professional Assessment.

I don't think it's worth going back to college and studying again. Can anyone tell me the procedures in applying for Prescribed Examinations ARB Part 1 and Part 2? Although I have seen them in the website, I don't seem to understand properly on how to start and go about. People who have gone through this route to get RIBA accreditation, I need your advice and help. Please tell me the success rate of the examination as the exam fees are really expensive and whether it's worth the try. Even if I pass the ARB Part 1 and Part 2 Examinations, I have to work in UK for a period of 2 years to get Part 3 to qualify to become a Chartered Architect in UK. Do Indians like me get architecture jobs in the UK as there is recession in the entire Europe nowadays??

Considering all these things, do you think it's really worth to take up the prescribed examinations Part 1 and Part 2. Please help ..

Thank you in advance..

Aug 15, 12 4:14 am
TED

Hi Javz,

I think you're better off going to Uni for 2 years in the country you wish to practice in than going the ARB route and betting on finding an employer who is willing to sponsor for a visa and job for 2 years.  UK immigration is tough and gives points based upon degree so with a BArch its not scored as high as a Graduate.  You have to get the Part I first before applying for Part II ARB and its up to the candidate to prove that they have meet the criteria of the award based upon the evidence in the work presented. [google 'QAA Architecture' for criteria]. Success rates are meaningless particularly you are coming from an non-uk eduction system.  Successful candidates often come from BA Interior Architecture whose courses ofter are similar to Architecture courses.  With no familiarity to UK practices I would say your success chances are highly unlikely. 

Aug 15, 12 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Raafat

Hi All,My name is raafat, apologies for the direct message, and i would be thankful if you can share with me your experience about that examination,

i hold a bachelor degree in architectural engineering from Cairo University in Egypt which is a 5 year study program and I have done it in 2003 which is almost 18 years ago, I worked in the uk for the last five years and prior to that I worked in other countries, but due to covid I lost my job and I find it hard to find a new one as most of the big names ask for RIBA p3 which I can not take if I do not have p2 so I am seeking your advice about that particular issue.

I hope you do not mind, and can give any information which can help me succeed in gaining the p1/p2 from ARB and how the submission should look like.

thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Raafat

Apr 7, 21 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: