Archinect
anchor

NYC architecture/places/things to see

cpnorris

I am coming to New York City for a few days in May and I am wondering if any of you can recommend architecture to try and visit. I know of a few places, like The Folk Art Museum and OMA's Prada store, but I am also interested in some of the more obscure things that I probably don't know about. New or old, it doesn't matter, just looking for some great places to see. Thanks!

Apr 3, 07 3:36 pm
WonderK

Is this your first time?

Are you a New York virgin, cpnorris?

Apr 3, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

haha. no i have been there once before in the summer of 2004. I was there for a week and saw quite a bit of stuff but I just wandered around with a few friends so I have no idea where anything is.

This time I am going with my firm so I guess it needs to be a bit more organized or something. I'm sure a lot has happened there in three years too. So anything new or classic or......well anything good that I should be sure to see.

Apr 3, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

The Time Warner Center on Columbus Circle has opened since you were there, and although it is not exactly cutting-edge, it is a nice place to get a coffee and sit and look out through the ginormous window wall at the park.

The Foster addition, or whatever you want to call that thing, on top of the old Hearst building is pretty cool, but I'm not sure if you can get into much of the building. Very photogenic from the street.

The NY Times tower is still under construction but ripe for photography, especially when the sun gleams off of the ceramic tubes on the curtain wall.

I would recommend all of these....

Apr 3, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

I work right near the Flat Iron Building, so I may be partial to this neighbrhood, but the area around Madison Square park (the park between 26th - 23rds streets and Madison - 5th Avenues) is one of my favorite areas for great NYC architecture. You will find lots of different styles here. Also, walk down broadway from here and you can see some amazing cast iron fascade building, just like Soho!
Speaking of Soho buildings, the new Jean Nouvel building (I guess it's called The Soho Building) is going up on Grand between Broadway and Mercer Streets.
I have not personally seen it yet, but people are getting exceited about it.

Apr 3, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

thanks guys! anyone else have some suggestions?

Apr 3, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

has anyone been to the other Breuer building (at one of the colleges) in NYC??

Apr 3, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

There's the new H&deM designed Ian Schrager condos on Bond b/w Broadway and Lafayette. I think it's still in construction.

Piano's Morgan Library is quite nice too - 36th & Madison. Great insertion of new addition into existing surroundings.

Apr 3, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

check out the New York since 1960 book...

Apr 3, 07 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

gotta see the folk art museum. while you're there check out moma too if you havent seen it. i am extremely bias to the prada store off of broadway and prince. (i know many hate it but i rather enjoy it.)

Apr 3, 07 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Awesome everyone! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Apr 4, 07 11:10 am  · 
 · 
walter_

Roosevelt Island. Take the tram, enjoy the creepiness. In my opinion, a must-visit

Apr 4, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
pwood

i'm going to for icff - looking for a good restaurant for a date. my buddy suggested the brassierie (spelling?)....any other good places to eat that are well designed.

May 13, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Has anyone gone to see Richard Meier's warehouse full of architectural models? I think it's open by appointment.

May 13, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I am going for ICFF as well. It's gonna be amazing.

May 14, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 
dedubs

cooper union's student show is open on the 21st, i believe

May 14, 07 10:15 am  · 
 · 
lsobol

makeArchitecture:

Do you know of a link or number to find out more info. for R.M. warehouse tour?

May 17, 07 10:01 am  · 
 · 

google sez:
http://www.aiany.org/eOCULUS/newsletter/?p=394

"Richard Meier, FAIA, has opened his Queens warehouse to the public. To peer into models no longer in use, from early houses to the Jubilee Church and the J. Paul Getty Museum, visitors may make appointments to visit on Fridays. Call 212.967.6060."

and... bumping. i'm going to NYC for the day tomorrow, and i'll probably have about 5 hours to kill.

any other suggestions?

Jun 4, 07 10:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: