Archinect
anchor

GSD Open Housers...where ya at?

betamax

Since there seems to be a trend in open house threads I figured I's see if there were any future GSD students on this site and attending this weekend...

bit of info on me...have 5 yr B.Arch degree from state school, MAUD candidate at GSD, more or less have decided GSD is the place for me, applied to three other schools, U. of Cincinnati, Wash U, and U. of Texas Austin, accepted all around, interested in how architectural form collides/coincides with urban form and dynamics and it seems as though GSD studio setup is ripe for this kind of interaction, like long walks on the beach, romantic moonlight, gory, ultra-violent movies amongst many other genres, currently reading Atlas Shrugged, just started growing some herbs in my backyard. im gonna have some tasty tasty basil to go with my tasty tasty gnocchi.

Apr 3, 07 1:21 pm
tokyoDrifter

I'll be at the open house. I haven't decided that I am attending there yet, however.

Apr 3, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

I'm thinking of swinging by to see whats going on in general as I haven't applied or been accepted. +q and myself have been talking about grabbing a drink afterwards (see the Official Boston Festivity Time! thread) if anyone is interested. IMHO, the more the merrier!

Apr 3, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

pixel,

interested, though my day may be chock full of activities. it says in ur bio your involved with academia, how so?

Apr 3, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

I run the model shop and am a permanent guest critic at Wentworth Institute in Boston.

Apr 3, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
jwillefo

I'll be there. MLA I candidate. B.A. in film.

Apr 3, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Ill be around most of the day so stop by my mess, drinks afterwards. I'm pretty easy to spot:

Apr 3, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

is everyone going to the open house and the reception in ny on april 9 as well?

Apr 3, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Astropilot

I can't make it to the open house (I'll be moving from Colorado to Oregon that weekend), but I'd love to read all of your impressions of it.

I'm an MUP candidate, and like betamax I'm really taken by the GSD's intense studio philosophy and emphasis on physical form. Seems to be about the most design-focused planning program out there.

I'm pretty convinced that the GSD is right for me academically, but I'm not totally convinced that it's worth the extremely high cost and decades of debt. I have a much cheaper option that doesn't excite me nearly as much.

So let me know what impresses and what doesn't at the open house.

Apr 3, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
mobarchitecture

MArch II
5 Year BArch
Been out of School for almost three years.
Currently dwelling in Denver.
Looking forward to all the crap weather Boston can offer

I will be attending the preordained festivities and will be up for grabbing a brew afterwards.

Apr 3, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

I will be going to the NY reception as well, wanna see the sweatshops of OMA offices. Maybe nick a foamcore model or two.

Apr 4, 07 2:18 am  · 
 · 
betamax

im not headed to NYC...just boston for me...from what i gather the open house functions end at around 10pm...thats after "beer and dogs" which imagine incorporates consumption of "beer and dogs". i guess we'll just magically know who everyone on this thread is once we see each other. any ideas on identification? if not, i'm good with just wingin it and asking everyone if they are 'nectors.

Apr 4, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 

Seeing how I'm being covert-ops about my participation I'm probably not going to hang around till 10pm.

Identification will be easy: I'll be the person getting kicked out by security for not being an accepted student!

Apr 4, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 
kerriea628

I will be there.

info: MAUD candidate at GSD, M.Arch from state school in deep south/working in Philadelphia for 2.5 years. also applied/accepted at Berkeley, Columbia & Wash U. primarily deciding between Harvard and Berkeley/ 2 years vs 1 year/ Boston vs San Francisco/ private vs public school/large studio vs small studio. I just got back from visiting Berkeley, GSD this week and Wash U next week.

I like starry nights, make a mean risotto. I have a long standing crush on Howard Roark despite the fact that he is fictional character. I overnurture most plants and kill them. Hobbies: watercoloring and travelling

i can't figure out how to add a photo...I will think of some garish accessory to wear, it can be like a massive group blind date.

Apr 4, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

kerriea...

ill be at Wash U next week as well...MArch/MUD dual degree candidate. wouldn't mind hearing ur impression of that program thus far. to me it seems to be interesting ad a good deal but not quite the caliber of GSD. dunno much about the studio structure, guess that will be explained next week.

plants need their space and plenty of nitrate in the soil...keep the dirt moist, especially at the seedling stage, mind you i said moist, not waterlogged, bring them inside during possible frosts and pinch leaves regularly to ensure a bushy outgrowth. good to keep gardening habits at the same time spent, oh say, performing your morning ablutions...that way there is no overnurturing.

Apr 4, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
kerriea628

Wash U has an interesting balance of work and relatively low cost. I visited the school during a road trip a few years ago and saw some of the best hand drawings being produced in architectural schools today...After the open house I will have a more well rounded option of the program. The only real problem I have with it is personally is location and the desire to be in a major city (with public transit) where I would consider living after grad school.

GSD is an commodity in a class by itself...an amazing school/experience for a designer/academic but (playing devil's advocate) it also yields a largely homogeneous product. Why does a large portion of the work I see in studioworks look the same to me...don't get me wrong, I love grey on grey with a touch of burnt orange and seaform green...

I am at a point now that I am trying to avoid the tempation of glossy images, big names and think about my core values as a designer and how I want to live my life (location and decades of potential debt).

check out the Spring 2002 Urban Design: Practices, Pedagogies, Premises conference to get a sense of the background/major players at the different programs if you haven't already. it is a lengthy but interesting dialogue.

http://www.arch.columbia.edu/gsap/13096

anyone have any comments about UC Berkeley?

Apr 4, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
kerriea628

responsing to my own post: wow, look at me..dying to get into harvard and as soon as I do, acting like for some reason I am better than that...an education is still what you make of it.

Apr 4, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: