Archinect
anchor

Small Scale Work, Fabrication, Furniture, Fun?

testcase

I am working at a larger firm, really starting to learn how buildings get built, co-ordinated, etc. however, i really think that there is more to architecture and design than what happpens here, how does one become more involved in it.

In their community?

In their practice?

In their life?

Not living in a city?

Having your own studio? etc?

Apr 2, 07 4:25 pm
mdler

switch jobs

Apr 2, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

What do you wanna do exactly? What are your goals? You mentioned furniture....?

Apr 2, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
testcase

I just want to be building things. I miss getting my hands dirty. There is a different kind of craft that happens on a project that is a million square feet.

Apr 2, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

You have a few options, depending on your situation. I come from an industrial/product design background, and I satisfy my need to get my hands dirty by making furniture and helping out friends who are renovating their houses, fixing their cars, or building a tree house. You get the idea. None of it's done for money, but rather to get outside and get something done that's quick, dirty, and gratifying, which is probably the exception to the rule in most design industries.

Go buy some tools, teach yourself how to use them, and make a coffee table or a bench. See where it takes you, 'cause you never know. You won't be paid for it, but that's what your 'real job' is for. You may just decide on a career change after all.

Apr 2, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

real life aint as fun as school, it it...

Apr 2, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: