Archinect
anchor

architecture student suicide?

i.g.lu.s.

anybody know more about the murder suicide at Gould Hall at UW?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,263360,00.html

Apr 2, 07 1:32 pm
I035PEP

Are things really that bad?!?!?! I know school can be stressful, but there are other ways of dealing.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/02/washington.shooting.ap/index.html

Apr 2, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
i.g.lu.s.

"Police believe the victims are middle-aged, in their 30s or 40s...
...Wittmier said that one of the victims is likely a staff or faculty member."

from Seattlepi.com

Apr 2, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

that's got to help recruiting.

Apr 2, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

yeah... we all joked about shooting a teacher after being awake for 72 hours (legal boundary for temporary insanity), but nobody actually DID it.

Apr 2, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

So far, the word around here is that they were non-architecture people. As is the case with most architecture schools, the building is left unlocked 24/7...

A year after I graduated (an east coast state school) a first year arch student jumped out his dorm room window (7 stories up)...

Apr 2, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
i.g.lu.s.

crap, I didnt know 30 was middle-aged.

I used to think teaching might be fun.... maybe not.

Apr 2, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

why am i not suprised?

Apr 2, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
sloring

dml, the same thing happened at my uni the year before i arrived [state school in the midwest]

Apr 2, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
archidol

The latest I've heard is that it had to do with a woman and her stalker. I just graduated from UW 3 months ago, and am shocked something like this happened. Hopefully people posting will lay off the "stressful studio" jokes for awhile, as this is tragic, not a joke.

Apr 2, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

hey UW students, are you okay?!
i just heard this story on the radio on my way back into work.

Apr 2, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
kaf

we're all alive and well...thanks for checking!

Apr 2, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

at my undergrad institute there was a rumor that if your roomate died, you got an automatic 4.0 for that semester... so if your studio is used for a murder, does everybody get a 4 point oh too?

Apr 2, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

where i went to school, an over-worked and over-stressed (i think he was taking like 22-26 units/quarter) engineering student jumped out of the five-story administration building and survived, only to die a few days later.

geez, what a bummer this thread is... =(

Apr 2, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

Some kid hung himself in the studio at CU Boulder. As if it wasn't creepy enough there.

Apr 2, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

That's sad that she did everything she was supposed to do, and he still got her. I was just reading an article the other day about a woman who decided to leave her old life completely after threats from an ex-boyfriend. She seriously quit her job by phone, found a new apartment, stayed away from places her ex liked to hang out, and ditched anyone she couldn't call a close friend, because workers at a women's center told her it was the only way to be sure the guy wouldn't do anything.

Apr 2, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i saw fist fights few times when i was a student. and one time this guy tried to throw my friend from the roof deck at the school to three stories down. because my friend kicked his dog when drunk. i grabbed eric from ari's arms at the last possible second and saved his life. not that i approve someone kicking a dog, but killing him would be a too much of a punishment. ari was armenian, eric was jewish and i am a turk and all three of us were drinking at the rooftop on a balmy summer night, school was between the semesters and pretty much empty except us homeless.

i have been around the murder sites as a newspaper reporter's gopher when i was a kid. it is really a feeling of violence that lasts looong time. what a tragic way to die. to be killed by another human being. we are vicious species. all other species kill for survival but we have capacity to kill for many other things other than survival, that makes us really special!..

Apr 2, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Yeah, it takes a lot to get a restraining order. It's pretty sad that, in many states, in order to even get one, the person has to have already committed severe acts of violence, and you have to have proof (photos, hospital records). Sometimes you can get one if you have have concrete proof of threats (videos, photos, audio recordings, notes, emails, etc.) but if the stalker isn't a total dumbass & doesn't send emails/writing or leave voicemails, it's difficult to get proof. And if it's just a bunch of annoying contacts that don't explicitly threaten acts of violence, no matter how frequent/disturbing, it can still be near impossible to get legal protection. If someone threatens you in person or over the phone and you don't happen to magically be able to bust out your mini-dv camera (yeah right) while someone is attacking you, there's nothing you can do except wait for the person to get violent and hope you live through it long enough to report them. And even when you do manage to get legal protection, there's no guarantee that the stalker won't disregard it. The system blows.

Apr 2, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

I don't know what I would do if someone kicked my dog. Probably something way more horrible than throwing them off a roof. I might destroy their model right before final jury or something.

Apr 2, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

"we are vicious species. all other species kill for survival but we have capacity to kill for many other things other than survival, that makes us really special!.."

another pessimist in regards to the human condition! welcome to the club! i have little hope for our species. every once in a while i see something that will give me hope, but those moments happen less frequently than the moments that really show "man's inhumanity to man."

i'm depressed now... =(

Apr 2, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I superglued my hand to my wiener once

Apr 2, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

I just finished reading Noam Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival. A good read for adding this depression.

He talks about how humans won't last the length of a typical species because of our stupidity and greed...

Apr 2, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

cool, i'll definitely have to check that book out. i've read a bit of chomsky, but it's been a while.

you know, it's funny, as depressing as the state of our species is, i find the study of it fascinating.

Apr 2, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

It really is...

Apr 2, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
dogfish

i was in the building when it happened, the whole situtation is tragic and extremely disturbing.

This could have happened anywhere, has nothing to do with school.

Apr 2, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

when i first saw this thread, the first thing that came to mind was that someone was actually forced to sit through a Rem Koolhaas lecture and had enough...

Apr 2, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

haha

Apr 4, 07 2:42 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

wish i was 'forced' to sit thru a rem lecture tho..

Apr 4, 07 2:43 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

This is incredibly disturbing. The fact that this poor woman did everything she was supposed to, and the psycho still came in and killed her, and of course there was no way of stopping him because the building was open.

And now the same thing basically happened yesterday at the CNN center in Atlanta, except this time, the woman was pregnant. And the guy was dragging her around by her hair.

This makes me want to vomit. As long as men, somewhere, somehow, continue to think that women are their property, I will continue to think that penguins are a more advanced species than humans.

Apr 4, 07 9:09 am  · 
 · 

something similar to this happened in an architecture office here about 5-10 years ago... psycho ex-boyfriend walked into the office shot the receptionist (his ex-girlfriend) and then shot himself...

very disturbing...

Apr 4, 07 10:00 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

On the news last night I heard a U of MN student fell to his death from a parking garage recently. Authorities think alcohol may have played a role.

You don't say?

Apr 4, 07 10:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: