Archinect
anchor

Undergrad. USC vs UCLA vs Cal Poly SLO

salohcin

What are your opinions and feelings on the Undergrad. programs of these three schools?

Apr 2, 07 12:52 pm
SuperBeatledud

They are all in California...

bloody newbs and their where should i go threads.

Apr 2, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Cal Poly SLO: solid, heavy on structures and math

USC: solid, flexible

UCLA: do they even offer undergrad architecture?

disclaimer: USC alumnus

Apr 2, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
salohcin

UCLA now offers and Undergrad via "Bach of Arts in Architecture" that is not NAAB accredited but they do have a Masters that is NAAB accredited...It seems to me like the Bach program was just kind of thrown together to support the Masters (am I wrong here?).

In adition to my original topic question, does anyone know how the "connections" of these three schools vary as fas as alumni networks and the resulting benefits?

Apr 2, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
salohcin

Sorry for the comparison between three...
How about USC "in comparison to" Cal Poly?

I have been and am currently researching these schools and felt this would be a great resource for opinions from those obviously vastly more experienced than myself on breaking down the strengths and weaknesses between these schools (I found this site via researching).
I hope I didn't give off the appearance of "I got accepted to these schools, now tell me where to go."

Apr 2, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

USC: better network by far. Better location, more well balanced than SLO in terms of technical vs. design-oriented. Better lecture series and visiting professors as a result of the better location.

Cal Poly SLO: well respected program, cheap, but doesn't have the network or other advantages of SC. But if finances are a big concern, it's a fine program. But apply to SC anyway in case you get some good financial aid.

Apr 2, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
salohcin

Thanks...That's a whole new way to look at it but my gut feeling has always lead me to pursue strictly Architecture. I'll definately consider something like that although at this point I would rather major in Architecture.

Apr 2, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
salohcin

Rationalist, I was thinking the same exact thing.

The only doubts I had about USC "in comparison to" Cal Poly was that I've always seen the "rankings" of national architecture programs that put Cal Poly at the top along with the whole "1 out of 20 Architects in the nation come out of Cal Poly" so I was unsure if their connections were greater than those of USC.

Apr 2, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
salohcin

ok thanks brightside...I've always wondered about that.

Apr 2, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

I've known a lot of people from Cal Poly, and the one thing that is inexplicable to me is that they all have a fine education, but are just not as ambitious about where they work as grads of many other schools seem to be. There's nothing deficient in their talent or knowledge that prevents them from getting those glam jobs, yet they hardly even seem to go for them. The big corporate firms in LA and especially Orange County are just stuffed with SLO grads.

The thing I think that's up with the rankings is that SLO is a pretty big program. If indeed, "1 out of 20 Architects in the nation come out of Cal Poly", then they are probably ranked so highly because their plethora of alumni are showing some love to their alma mater, since the DI rankings are based on practitioner surveys. Also, USC used to be much more of a party school and a lot easier to get into. The reputation among people not affiliated with the school has not yet caught up with the recent jump up the USNews rankings and much tougher admissions standards. There are still a lot of people who think of it as the University of Spoiled Children, instead of my personal favorite, the University of Special Connections.

Apr 2, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
salohcin

Thanks rationalist... All good stuff to think about

Apr 2, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
dierxap

You get out what you put in..and where you want to put yourself forward in life.

My closer friends from SLO currently work for FOA, Morphosis, Brian Healy (me), OfficeDA....others I know..but were in a year below...DillerScofidio, shOp, Christof Finio.....

again..this isn't all great..just don't throw SLO under the rug because it either isn't a "design education" or there are 'no connections' . If you are talented and motivated...you will succeed to the end you desire.

Apr 2, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
salohcin

Thanks dierxap...I'm just trying to get a better feel for each of the schools and make sure I make the best decision possible.

Did you say you went to SLO? If so would you mind sharing some of your experiences? What you liked/disliked? Positives/negatives?

Thanks again in advance.

Apr 2, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
dierxap

Hi Saloccin.

I did go to SLO and had a positive experience. Now, I will not claim that it is better than UCLA or USC since I don't know a whole lot about either of those programs.

+'s.
+Won't leave school with an enormous amount of debt.
+If you have the motivation, and select the proper path while there (meaning taking instructors that provide the discourse you want to explore)...you can get a very wholistic and quality design education.
++Fourth year abroad programs are extensive and will learn so much that year living in another country. When I was there, and I think the programs have expanded, your choices were Copenhagen, Florence, Sydney, India (forgot which city), Fountainbleu.
+Not sure if they have started it again, but the design build projects in Poly Canyon used to be a real hands on experience to design and follow through on a real project.

-'s
-Facilities are not what I imagine USC and UCLA currently have. There is no CNC machinery, let alone laser cutter. There is a nice wood and metal shop...but that is old school...have to work with your hands..ha.
-As far as I know, faculty isn't pushing the envelope with regards to technology and information technology in architecture. (vs. GSD seems to have geared every course towards integration of BIM into architecture, either through Revit or Catia.)..but. IMO..just because you can integrate your models with all the trades doesn't make you a good designer. Crap in = Crap out.
-In general, it is fair to say that the other two schools attract a much broader more diverse faculty.
-Kind of in the middle of nowhere (although a beautiful part of the world...I loved it). No real external resources that you have in LA (manufacturing, milling machines, archtiectural community...etc)

Apr 2, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
salohcin

Thanks again...Anyone else have any experiences to share regarding any of the three schools (USC, UCLA, Cal Poly)?

Apr 2, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
tman

i went to USC 06' (before Ma became the new dean so my opinions maybe dated already) and had a so-so experience.

Dont doubt the SLO grads. Currently I work in for a famous architect alongside two SLO grads. I'm outnumbered in the office and I think i'm probably the first SC grad ever to enter the office.

here's my +'s and -'s

+'s
-Located in Los Angeles which means...lots of architecture, external resources for all your drafting/modeling supplies, near other institutions (UCLA, Sci Arc, Getty, Moca), attractions, etc.
-New Dean. From what I hear, Ma is an insanely motivated and dedicated architect/educator. He's currently co-teaching a studio at Columbia and has brought a much improved lecture series to SC this year (Rem, Cesar Pelli, etc.)
-Most of the faculty run their own firms and are dedicated to their studios. They also hire students from their studios regularly. That's how I got my first student internship.
-I'd say about 80 percent of faculty are from ivy league schools with broad range of experience in corporate, boutique, and starchitects' offices.
-Visiting Faculty is good. Recent years include, Ando, Sejima, Michael Maltzan, Eric Owen Moss.

-'s

-Lacking student architecture organization. I think there was maybe one or two events a year. A couple announcements during lectures.
-Thesis is only one semester...I would argue that what we did had nothing to do with developing a thesis. In fact I was prevented from exploring what I wanted in order to fulfill mundane requirements. In the end I hated my project, it said nothing because I didnt really think anything, and I'm still recovering from the "sag" it put in my process that semester.
-Studio night life is good during first 3 years. Then people start to work at home more often. Maybe this is like most schools... During thesis there were only 3 out of 14 that would consistently work at home. Some students stopped coming in for desk crits.
- The architecture students aren't involved in other creative disciplines. Also no relationship/exchange between the School of Fine Arts and School of Architecture
-Theory classes are dated/dead. Reputable teachers however they are more historians than theorists. If you want facts they are good, if you want to think, they aren't so good. I think Post Modernism was the latest trend we covered. Coop Himmalblau may have been mentioned once as the only testament to decon. Apparently nothing's happened or is happening since then.
-Wood shop closes early 10 pm (???)
-Never seen a laser cutter at USC. No fabrication classes.

Unsure/additional info...

-Good network connections...however connections are geared more towards corporate firms, if that's what you want. Wasn't interesting to me since the last firm fair which seemed pretty large (40-50 firms) was all corporate with the exception of maybe 2 firms. Disney Corp came to firm fair, same with DMJM, HOK, AC Martin, etc. By 4th year I decided not to bother with the firm fair and the "resume distribution" where if you give the admissions 200 resumes they send it to a list of employers across the world. I think the majority of my graduating class went corporate immediately.
-3 semester abroad programs. Italy, France, and China.
-approx 150 students entered, 80 or so graduated. Only a handful applied to master's afterwards. 2 went to Harvard, 2 to Columbia, 1 to Penn, 1 to AA.
- software: AutoCAD (although you are taught hand drafting first and second year), Adobe programs, Form Z seems to be the most popular modeling tool, 3DS Max (?)
- At SC you'll learn how to make a building. Provides a good solid foundation (that I was probably too stubborn to really get involved with). You will be taught how to slide into a comfortable entry level position in a corporate firm. That's not a bad thing at all. But if you are like me and take big risks because you are interested in the "artist", "philosopher", or "theorist" side or architecture, SC doesnt really facilitate that. Certain professors will run with you but there's not enough of them.

I'm pretty exhausted now so I'll stop. Sorry if there's some incomplete sentences. Know that I think that SC's going through a transformation right now, with Ma at the wheel, and I am jealous that I wasn't there to impact change in the school. Maybe SC's is an "open-book" right now...

i'm a cheese-ball

Apr 3, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 
salohcin

Thanks for the time tman....Hopefully like you said there is going to be a bright future at SC with the new Dean.

Apr 3, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: