Archinect
anchor

Is there a big chance to be out of the waitlist?

Hogan

i am in columbia's waitlist for m.arch, it is my dream school. anybody know the possibilty to upper to an official admission at gsapp? how was the situation last year? and what should i do now: withdraw or wait?

Apr 2, 07 12:21 pm
Hogan

how many do they put in the waitlist this year? btw, i have another waitlist from cornell

Apr 2, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

The good thing is that there are a lot of schools out there and Columbia is not everybody's dream school. Lots of people apply to GSD, Yale, Penn, Columbia, Princeton & MIT and they can obviously only go to one school. I think you should be hopefull. Just make sure they know that they're you're number one choice.

I am wait listed for Cornell to - so you'll move up at least one spot when I remove myself.

I also got wait listed at Sci-Arc. I think I'll wind up going where I was actually accepted though. I just want to know where I'll be living and stuff.

Apr 2, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

It also depends on whether they over-admit or not. For example, a school which has an entering class goal number of 50 students might admit 70, expecting that 20 will go elsewhere. In that situation, someone wouldn't get taken from the waitlist unless more than twenty admitted students decided to go elsewhere. But sometimes schools with tiny classes don't do this- I'm on a waitlist at one school that admitted nine students to get a nine-person class. There are nine more of us on the waitlist, so if any one person decides to go somewhere else, a waitlisted candidate will get called up. So obviously, the odds aren't the same everywhere because of the variety of admissions practices.

Apr 2, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
designbydesign

Hogan - I feel you. I'm waitlisted at UPenn. not sure if i have money to go...

Apr 2, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

Yeah, good point. That's complicated.

Apr 2, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
med.

When you are on a waitlist you have an outside chance of getting in. If I were you I would call there in a week, be courteous, tell them that you are still very interested in their program, and ask them where you stand. Also for diplotic purposes, tell them that even if it doesn't work out this time, ask how you can strengthen your application for next time.

You may be in for a pleasant surprise and they may just extend you an admission.

Good luck with it. I went through this whole thing more than three years ago. If you don't end up with Clumbia, there are many other schools that are just as good if not much better.

Apr 2, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

It can depend a lot on how long you are willing to stay on the waitlist. People tend to change their minds right up until the last minute, even long after they've sent deposits in and made commitments. Some schools will continue to contact wait-list people for months after the official deadlines. By then many people will have made other plans and dropped off the wait-list, so the school will keep going through the list.

As has been said it depends mostly on how the numbers shake out. My school had a wait-list of about 20 people, and in my year and the two before me they never offered any wait-list spots to anyone. But in the year following mine they admitted 5 wait-list people and had to go down to number 18 on the list to come up with those 5.

Apr 2, 07 6:06 pm  · 
1  · 
Hogan

thank you guys! i think it would be a safety to send deposits in UCLA, then waiting for the Columbia "turn around"... bless~

Apr 2, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

I think you've got a shot. I was waitlisted at 2 schools last year and eventually got accepted to both. I know its frustrating tho, having to wait even longer after preparing yourself for an admissions decision by early April. I personally would try to talk the admissions people into teling you where on the waitlist you currently stand so you at least have some idea of your chances. Beyond that just be patient but at some point you may have to take a gamble on not comitting to other schools or fork over some deposits like you said.

Apr 3, 07 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Hogan

cvankle

may i know which 2 schools you were in waitlist last year? and about when did they pick you out of the list?

Apr 3, 07 12:24 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

i think calling and being proactive about showing your interest in the school is a very good way of getting off of the waitlist. my bf got waitsted at his "dream" law schools. it was august, he was about to start law school somewhere else and he decided to give the dream school a call one last time. the admissions lady remembered him bc he had called so often asking about waitlist stats that she told him the deans were convening for the final time for the last spot. he gets a call 10 minutes later from the dean of admissions, who was apparently very impressed by his persistence and initiative, and asked my bf why he wanted to go to xyz law school and told him over the phone that he had been accepted. i'm pretty sure my bf was at the bottom of that last bc his incoming classmates were all from harvard and ivies with great LSAT scores, but i think there is something to be said about the effort and energy you put in. so he cancelled his lease, picked up stuff and move cross country to start at "dream" school a couple of days later.

Apr 3, 07 11:27 am  · 
1  · 
Hogan

froccli

sounds like a american dream story...thanks for your encouragement, i will try to make it.

Apr 3, 07 11:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: