Archinect
anchor

loop hole for IDP... 8 years of construction?

binary

i was told that i could bypass the in firm IDP credits if i have enough construction experience/etc under belt...is this true.... i'm in michigan but looking to try to get registered..... considering that i've been on my own for 8+ years now, it might be hard for me to get someone to sign off on a few things....not sure.....

any ideas.....

b

Mar 31, 07 5:09 pm
treekiller

ncarb, ncarb, ncarb.... *sigh*

Many states have a 'broadly experienced architect' category that seems to apply to your situation. Direct registration will solve meeting IDP requirements, but you'll have to track down documentation for stuff like your degree and logs of your experience. since IDP is supposed to take 'three' years, track down what you can as this documentation will only help the rest of the registration crap.

the limitation for going this route is working across state lines will either require ncarb certification (different from IDP) or hiring a local executive architect...

good luck!

Mar 31, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i figure i might as well look into it ........i know that the whole idp thing is vital i guess........ but then again, i know people that are registered and dont even plan on using their stamps..wtf..... but to each his/her own i guess.........

i just want to get to that next level if i can

b

Mar 31, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i have my 5 year prof b.a. arch bty.

Mar 31, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

there is always wisconsin as a local state that doesn't require a NAAB degree, just 7 years of idp... so you shouldn't have too much trouble. The other path is jump back into a firm as a project manager/associate and just track your hours for the next few years- then take the test. IDP doesn't require detailing bathroom stalls, you can do the interesting stuff too.

Mar 31, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
binary

hmmmm..... might be hard to get into a firm as a pm or a designer/assoc...... since i've been out for 7 years......

only thing is trying to prove 7 years of continuous work i guess...... i have 3 solid years of a few home renovations plus some interiors/etc....hmmm

thanks

b

Mar 31, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
outed

cryzko - i really hate to be a downer, but you really should look at the state you want to get registered (at their practice act) to see what they will take.

most states are phasing out any real 'alternative' paths to licensure - all states but arizona require IDP, now or shortly, as a component to gain licensure or even reciprocity. so, in the event you can find a state where you can work around the IDP requirement, you may not be able to get reciprocity with the state you live in without having completed IDP (something my wife had to deal with - she didn't need IDP to get her intial license in florida, but had to retroactively complete IDP so that she could become NCARB certified and get reciprocity to where we are now).

also, one other thing to be aware of - most states won't take work experience unless you can demonstrate that you completed that experience under the direct, daily supervision of a licensed architect. my guess is that any credit you try to apply from your own self-employment will not be counted, unless you can not only get a licensed architect to sign off on it, but also someone who will lie when NCARB follows up with them on the phone (and i can guarantee they will). the risk to the licensed architect will be pretty high - if it's found out that they forged the document, the will most likely have their license revoked.

all that said, do some more research and see what applies. you may get lucky...

Mar 31, 07 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i understand that laru......... i just dont have the patience to do that 9-5 again...... i have too many ideas to get out and they dont need a stamp to make happen...... i guess it's just a personal step that i would like to obtain.....

with all due respect to the field of architecture, i dont see how people can work on a salary for 50-80 hour weeks and still appreciate life and have time to actually do things.....

i work alot but i like what i do...so i cant really complain on that..other than getting clients........

b

Mar 31, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Michigan requires NCARB's standard IDP for registration. See question #3 here:
http://www.ncarb.org/stateboards/regboards07.asp?Boardname=Michigan

I'm not sure that there's any state that allows 8 years solely in construction to satisfy their training requirements. There are a number of states that allow longer than usual internships (4 to 13 years depending on state and circumstances) for peope who don't hold professional degrees in architecture - or in some cases for people who hold only a high-school diploma. But in most cases these states require fulfilling NCARB's requirements about distribution of units into training categories and approved training settings - which means that at least 2 years of your experience would have to be fulltime architecture firm experience.

NCARB accepts a maximum of 117 units (about 6 months) of experience in construction or other architecture-related subjects that were not under the direct supervision of an architect (and a max of about 1 year of experience under the supervision of an engineer or landscape architect.)

All experience other than the community service requirement need to be fulltime (35 hours per week minimum) for a minimum of 8 weeks continuously, or halftime (20 hours per week minimum) for no less than 6 months continuously. Anytime you fall below these minimums you have to start counting as if it is a new employment experience.

You have to account for all of your time in between jobs as well, so even if you've been working in settings that don't meet IDP eligibility you still have to document all your time between your first IDP-eligible job and the present.

Mar 31, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
binary

maybe i'll just focus on my product lines then....

or just do houses since i'm a licensed builder...get a crew and build it...but then again......

thanks

b

Mar 31, 07 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Cryzko...Approach your registration board for the State your located. Get the applications, take a look at them and go for it. I appernticed into the profession, no degree but alot of hourly college credits, with a long work experience record. I was allowed to sit for the exam, passed it and have been in practice for 10 years. I'm registered in two states. I could give a rats ass about NCARB, and will avoid them at all cost. Every State has an Architectural Registration Board, and every state is a bit different about how they approach requirements for registration. Their primary purpose is to safeguard the health, safety and welfare of the public. You might be able to convince them you have been working toward the same standards. Oh bye the way they could give a rats ass about the quailty of your design as long as you know how to adhere to the Building Codes.

Apr 1, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: