Archinect
anchor

Cali to NY...best places to live for the best prices?

jonjonthephenmnn

looking to move to new york city from living in california my whole 24 yrs on this earth. aiming at late July, early August.

anyone know any desirable yet reasonable places to reside under the criteria of rent, safety, proximity to prospective architecture firms, etc? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 30, 07 6:49 pm
tako

hey, i am moving to NY too!!! you looking for a flat mate?

Mar 30, 07 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
kpxkable

if your looking to reside in city (manhattan), its gotta cost you a bit more than living in the surrounding boros. However, most of the prestigious firms are located in city. But If you dont mind the commute to the city than i would recommand finding an apartment in queens. The area is pretty secure in comparison to the other boros.

Mar 30, 07 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Don't rule out Washington Heights or Inwood. The commute is usually fast if you're on the A train, which runs express between 125th and 59th. West of Broadway is generally cleaner and safer than east of Broadway, with rents to match. Before signing a lease or putting down a deposit on an apartment, use this site to look up housing code violations for the property.

Mar 30, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

You can even try getting an apartment in Newark or Jersey City, NJ. Much cheaper and you'll only be a quick train ride from NYC.

Mar 31, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
tako

i would say manhattan is the place to go. i stayed with my sister in brooklyn and that was cool too.

Apr 3, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

Moving to NY as well. Since I hope to be attending Pratt I'm looking at Brooklyn. Specifically Brooklyn Heights or the DUMBO area.
LIG thanks for the link, Ill make sure I use it before I sign a lease.

Apr 3, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
jwillefo

I lived in DUMBO for a year. Loved it. Amazing place. It's also one of the most expensive places to live in Brooklyn. That and Brooklyn Heights. You might want to think about Ft. Greene. It's a lot closer to Pratt.

Good places to live in Brooklyn: Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Boerum Hill, Ft. Greene, and Greenpoint (although Greenpoint can be a difficult commute and there's kind of an oil spill underground there that has been giving the Polish community there some health problems)

Washington Heights and Harlam aren't bad. Brooklyn just has a lot more to do.

Long Island City in Queens is pretty cool as well.

Avoid NJ like the plague. First of all, you're in Jerz. Second, it's a bitch to go home late at night and going into the city or Brooklyn can be an even bigger bitch if you have all your friends there. Third, it's fugging Jerz. Fourth, no one will ever visit you. I mean NO ONE.

Apr 3, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Blue202

go to Brooklyn.

Apr 3, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
jonjonthephenmnn

anyone know how the commute is from brooklyn to manhattan?

Apr 3, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
jwillefo

The commute from Brooklyn to Manhattan is fine, considering where you live. It also depends on where you work in the city. I would say a safe guess for a morning commute is 20 to 45 mins. I did it for years and was completely fine with it.

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? What's reasonable?

Apr 3, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

depends on where you live in brooklyn and where you work
in manhattan...it can be a 20 minute commute to about an
hour or more...

it also depends on whether or not you need to change trains.

and you have to live in a part of brooklyn that's close to
trains. if you're young and looking for semi cheap i would
live in williamsburg on the j, m, z or a couple stops on the L
park slope around 3rd and 4th ave could be good too..
close in towards atlantic ave cause a lot of trains go through
there...pretty much every line that goes into that part of
brooklyn...and it's not the nicest area so it could be cheap.

i lived in park slope for three years and took the q, b or 2,3
and the commute was about 30-45 minutes depending on
where i had to go.. more than an hour if you need to go up
into midtown.

Apr 3, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

I don't know about Brooklyn Heights. It's probably just as expensive as Manhattan there. If you're going to Pratt, Fort Greene is the way to go. It's really nice there and the neighborhood has a bunch of nice restaurants, it's close to a lot of subway lines, and you got the park right there.

Apr 3, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
kpxkable

in my opinion, i dont recommand living near pratt unless your dorming in the campus area. I had the wrost experience when i was visiting the school last summer. I was walking out of the subway when some guy robbed me of my pizza... yes, its sad but true

Apr 4, 07 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
dtowntitan

I live on Roosevelt Island. It is very convenient to get into Manhattan. I live in a LEED building on the Island. You can check it out at www.octagonnyc.com It is very quiet and a nice change from the crazy city.

Apr 4, 07 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

10 minutes by bike from my apartment in Greenpoint BK to my office in SoHo

Apr 5, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

kpxkable...
wow, that's hilarious. anymore the area around pratt is pretty safe...i haven't heard about too much bad stuff happening around there for a while.

Apr 5, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
long_div

affordable neighborhoods:
Brooklyn:
Clinton Hill
Greenpoint
Williamsburg
farther out: boro park, prospect heights, beverly rd

Queens:
Astoria
LIC
Jackson Heights
Elmhurst

Unless youve got great luck and great connections, you cant find a bedroom in Manhattan for under 1100/month.

Apr 5, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
jonjonthephenmnn

this all sounds incredibly interesting. where i live in california, is the surburbia of all surburbias... its like one of the safest cities in the country and has been forever... you definitely wouldnt get robbed for your pizza round here.... but im always down to get a more affordable place in a less cleanly neighborhood.... i guess the amount i pay in rent all depends on how much i make...i make a pretty good salary now so i can afford to live in a more expensive city. im always down to live in Harlem 1) because my gf will be going to Columbia and 2) cuz i heard its not a bad place to live but i just dont know that much about the neighborhood.

but thanks all...every little piece of advise helps...

Apr 5, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
jonjonthephenmnn

dtowntitan...

that place is sweet but too high for my blood!

Apr 5, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

please don't go... i don't know what i'd do without you... =(

Apr 5, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
jonjonthephenmnn

you sit on a thrown of lies!

i will definitely lose my blazin buddy for sure if i leave! =)

Apr 5, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

dude! speaking of which, we need to hit that up next time we kick it!!!

Apr 5, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
tako

DON'T DO IT!!!! MARY-JEW-JUANA IS A GATEWAY DRUG!!!

Apr 5, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: