Archinect
anchor

Commercial Interior Design

dzuy

hello all.....

so 2 months ago i walked away from the field of engineering. i know i belong in design but still searching for the niche.

i have much interest in commercial interior design.

with my current situation, going back to school full time for 4 years is really not a good idea.

UCLA extension offers a 2 year certificat / associates degree with many nightclasses.

if any of you are familiar with the interior design field, can you tell me how important a NAME school is? or a traditional 4 year education?

the ext program is accredited... is this something that is looked down upon or will it make no difference if i can demonstrate quality design sense.....

thanks!

p.s. changing professions / fields suck...... esp when you have no clear plan.

Mar 30, 07 3:44 pm
galaxiz

I've been practicing as an interior designer for 7 years now, and almost all of the projects I've worked on are commercial in nature, hospitality & retail in particular.

There's similar program here in SF as to UCLA Extension, it's the Berkeley Extension; based on my experience working with interns & graduates, I'd say 2-year program does not provide you with proper training, both design & technical knowledge. The reputation of school certainly has initial bearing on a graduate's outlook, but as the old saying goes...there are good students in bad schools, and bad students in good schools. Being in one of the largest interior design firms in the country, we get a lot of resumes, and the HR people definitely favor graduates from certain school over the others, based on previous experience. For example, the interns that we hired last summer were all terrible, and they all came from the same program from this nor-cal school, and we were shocked to learn that the department of interior design is under School of Family Studies!

Feel free to ask me more questions. Cheers!

Mar 30, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

since you're coming from EE (checked your profile) have you considered getting into lighting design?

Mar 30, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

you should check out the two-year transfer Bachelors at Harrington College in Chicago.

Mar 30, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
marrcko

Check out NCIDQ.org for info on what degrees count for certification and then licensure. You need to get a degree that will allow you to obtain an interior design license if you want to do commercial work.

Apr 2, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

dzuy,

Have you tried applying for a design job yet? Try that before you spend a lot of money and time earning a degree or certificate. The fact that you were an engineer and probably know CAD you should be able to get a job at a small firm.

Also if relocating is an option and you do want to come to Chicago I advice trying for the Art Institute program in stead. Im a Harrington graduate and since it was bought out by an "educational conglomerate" a few years ago the school has really gone down hill.

On a final note what kind of design do you want to do? I spent 6 months working for a small commercial firm which focused primarily on corporate interiors and quite honestly I hated it. To each there own but I don't consider picking wall treatments, color swatch's and carpet samples design... thats decorating. But like I said to each there own.

goodluck

Apr 3, 07 12:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: