Archinect
anchor

Portfolio design and content advice

RyanCook

I finished my first year in architecture and now I am going to be looking for work.

Here is my most recent portfolio:

http://issuu.com/ryancook/docs/x-rated_architecture_by_ryan_cook

I would be very thankful if I could get some advice.

- Is there too much emphasis on renderings?

- Should I include more diagrams and information about each project?

- Is the layout too 'busy' or cluttered?

- Should I explain more about the 'x-rated' aspect of my designs, or put less emphasis on it?

- I do have some technical details (wall sections, ect), but do I really need to include them? If so, should I make them look pretty and less technical to fit in with other graphics?

Aug 10, 12 8:59 pm
Sergo Antadze

I think you really need to add details or sections and more technical they are better. Your renderings and graphics look terrific, but potential employers are searching people who can do it all and they prefer more technically inclined staff.

Aug 12, 12 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
sandhilldesign

Hey there,

To comment on the details first:

Detailing and an understading of constructablility are important but graphics of the details are perhaps more important for most firms. They want to understand that at the very least you know the fundimentals of how to make a drawing 'pop'. This means demonstrating a basic knowlege of line weights in details/ sections / plans / elevations / assemblies as well as hatches that read well and convey the information you need to convey. If you can demonstrate basic graphic standards along with this work you would be well prepared for internship.

Your graphic work should not be underestimated. Often time interns are asked to work on presentations, schematic packages/ award submissions and be 'anamatronic arms' for deigners who are not computer savvey. Having a good skills set with quick modeling and graphic skills are a good way to get an internship. Remember though, when you start you will be asked to model and produce graphics in the style of the firm and with their standards. So your voice is secondary to your ability to produce their style and standard of work.   

Aug 13, 12 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: