Archinect
anchor

mr 16 lighting help ASAP

SullivanJ

Hey there,
I have to have a lighting plan for tomarrow afternoon. I am tring to fugure out how many and how far apart to space my MR 16 12v 50W. The space is: 8' ceilings 9' x 17' kitchen. Usually use a lighting designer a work and this is a side project. Those freaking spec sheets are so confusing. Anyway if you can help ASAP that would be great ...rules of thumb etc..past experiences..also if you know anything about putting a dimmable ballast with MR 16 let me know I don't want the humming noise. Reccomendations for lensed or not would be great too.

Mar 29, 07 9:45 pm
snooker

Dude it all depends upon what your lighting....need more information.

Mar 29, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
SullivanJ

Well it's a kitchen! I am just looking for some general light. I think I am looking for aprox. 60 or so foortcandles (clients are early 60's and enjoy a lot of light - they cook a lot and like to see what they are doing.) They tend to like more light than less, but like having options to tone down the lights when needed.

The kitchen is approx 9x17 but open to the modest sized dining room (on axis with the long dimension), which has an all glass double door. The kitchen is long and linear and so is it's layout. Sink, Fridge, stove, etc, all located on the exterior wall which has one window. No nee to accentuate the linearaty unless it just makes sense. There are exposed 8"x8" joists with drywall between them, mounted so the finished surface of the drywall is slightly recessed from the bottom surface of the joist. The joists are running parallel with the short dimension of the room. The exterior wall, which has all appliances and counterspace will include undercabinet lighting, to provide adequate light for prepping food.

The countertop is vermont soapstone and has a darker finish. The cabinets are cherry and the floor is a white pine with a semi-gloss finish; I think. The appliances are stainles steel.

Mar 29, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

looking at the end of this document:
http://www.junolightinggroup.com/files/Juno_Aculux_Resi_Lighting.pdf

50W MR16 w/ 40 degree beam spread
mounting height: 5'-0" (8' ceiling illuminating 3' counter)
footcandles: 68
beam diameter: 3.6'

or since you usually use a lighting designer, copy a past project

Mar 29, 07 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
not without

ask a nulux dealer for a footcandle chart...they'll send a pdf

Mar 30, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: