Archinect
anchor

i'm an englishman in new york (perhaps)

ok, humour me as i am a somewhat clueless brit, with pipedreams of working in nyc.....

hypothetically, if there was were no barriers of any kind, who would you work for in manhattan? there are the holl's, eisenman's, asymptotes' and so forth, but are there any gems out there who would be a dream to be at?

i am thinking of heading out after 6 months, but somewhat dreading the extortionate rent rates, which is saying something considering i am from london.

aside from the salary poll, is there an accurate guide to be checked online to see how much a person of my experience can expect?

i am aware these topics have been covered in parts and can be pieced together in the forum, but it's rather nice to get my first thread in here at archinect!

cheers.

Mar 29, 07 5:21 pm
futureboy

what are you looking for out of your office. there's a lot of great offices, but they each offer something different. as for pay, given it appears you are looking for a design oriented firm...it sounds like you will need to either find a cheap closet that you sublet off of someone else or be prepared to live off of your savings for the 6 months.

Mar 29, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 

futureboy,

i am looking for a design practice, but does that necessarily equal low pay? clearly, a manhattan apartment will probably be out of the question. i am working for a high profile office in holland at the moment, and hoping (maybe naively) that it will help me into somewhere decent be paid enough to get by.

what position, going in a slight tangent to the subject, can i get with 2 years experience and all my studies finished?

Mar 29, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

well, design oriented practices in nyc are notoriously poor paying. right now these practices might be paying slightly more than typical, but then again, the rent prices are ridiculously high.
as for position you should be able to walk in as a junior architect, depending on the office this means you could either be working as staff on a project or managing one (although a short timeline will probably have you as staff). in terms of design, what type of office are you looking for? There are several camps you can go towards: the corporate design offices (SOM, KPF, Polshek) that will pay decently, the architecture as art types (DSR, LTL, etc.) that would be interesting but won't pay as well, the old guard (Eisenman, Meier, etc..), the Digital Gurus (SHoP, etc.), the dutch types (REX, AMO, OMA, post-Open Office types, etc.)...the list could go on, i guess.

Mar 29, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

in all honesty they all have some draw or another, except maybe the dutch side, having already experienced that side of design.

i am at the stage where it's a real learning experience still, and so there is the desire to see and be part of as much as possible.

i see that you have worked at meier. how was that? was it work all-hours-until-you-drop or more chilled?

Mar 29, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

MDLER WAS HERE

Mar 29, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

sting?

Mar 29, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Alien Gordon Sumner.

Mar 29, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

MDLER WAS HERE

Mar 29, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Avoid Eisenman! He's notorious for paying $0/hour.

Mar 29, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i just have to say, i've never really liked sting, unfortunately - my parents do.

i abhore that song.

Mar 29, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

eisenman pays peanuts? dang! he was one of the ones i was considering....

Mar 29, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
GO ARCHITECTS!

forget eisenman, he really pays nothing.
shop is deceptive, they have cool and very mundane projects
dsr would give you a very annoying interview, and drag you on
tschumi has a few projects coming up I hear

in other words, if you're independently wealthy, then go work a t a cool firm for peanuts. If not, I would recommend to look into mid-size offices that do decent work, ie. peter gluck, martin finio etc. that do not do "cutting edge" work but do solid stuff, pay you ok and treat you ok. Live in brooklyn, or skip Ny alltogether and move to LA, the job market is much better there nowadays. Gehry is desparately looking for people, if you're willing to make giant models for a long time.

Mar 29, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
GO ARCHITECTS!

oh also asymtyote got a bunch of big projects in asia and middle east, they're probably looking. but I hear that they're a mess when it comes to dealing with employees.

Mar 29, 07 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

ah, no such wealth i'm afraid, so it looks like either a gluck or being a corporate monkey. not so keen on gehry since finishing undergrad and having my eyes opened. LA is kind of tempting, but asymptote certainly is another practice that is very attractive. and i am much used to messy employee dealings!

Mar 30, 07 5:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

im a white man in the palais...only lookin for fun...

Mar 30, 07 9:09 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

cyc, check out Lewis Tsuranamaki Lewis, Lindy Roy, Gordon Kipping, Architecture Research Office, or any of that age group of office...a lot of them are actually getting some real ground up work and are looking for good people. They will pay decently enough...you won't have any savings after it, but you will get some good experience. I also second peter gluck's office or Christoff:Finio they do good work.

Mar 30, 07 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

What's the working environment like at Gluck's office? I've checked out their website and a I have a book with some of their houses, and it looks like the type of work that's right up my alley.

Mar 30, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

i have known several people that worked for him and they have all loved it. he seems to run a good shop and give a lot of growth opportunities. since all of his work is design build, the scale tends to be smaller...but the level of detail and craft is amazing. he tends to turn out really good detailers and architects with a very strong sense of craft and understanding of materials and how they go together. very tectonic.

Mar 30, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Nice... Thanks for the info.

Mar 30, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 

cheers futureboy. these offices look really interesting. i do like the look of lindy roy's stuff. very captivating!

Mar 30, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

anyone know much about holzman moss or studios architecture, and how it is to work for them? i've heard good things on insiderch.org, but these are just number ratings.

Mar 31, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: